Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Are You Getting On With 3.2 RC?  (Read 1885 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
How Are You Getting On With 3.2 RC?
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:17 am »

I was just wondering, for those folks who have downloaded and are now running the LR 3.2 RC, how are you getting on with it?

In my case, it seems to have cured most of the issues I had with the original 3.0 release. I no longer experience the random crashes and freezes which I did have in the Develop module, and the use of memory seems to be a lot better controlled. Import works just fine, Export to TIFF runs just as fast as it did in 2.7, and Print is reliable too. The only area where I still experience problems is with those images where I apply Perspective Control. Once I have done that, further editing with the local adjustment brush or spot removal is painfully slow and tedious. I am beginning to think that this is just a price which I will have to pay with my large MF files, and so I am tending to leave PC and crop until after I have done spot removal and brush edits. Which is inconvenient, but rather less so than having to export the file out to PS to do the corrections there.

Just for fun, I attach a recent shot of St Columb Church which I have been working on in 3.2 RC. This has had quite a lot of perspective correction applied to it, and a rather excessive amount of the new Highlight Vignette, but I got carried away. I promise to be more restrained in future (well, a bit).

John
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:00:18 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Roger Calixto

Re: How Are You Getting On With 3.2 RC?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:33:43 pm »

I'd have t agree with all your statements. I have come to pretty much the same conclusions, especially about perspective correction ( I never realized how off some of my shots were!!)
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:01:21 am »

Works reasonably well for me (Mac 10.6).

I have had a crash (from the Flickr uploader, when trying to reorder photographs), although nothing seemed to have been lost or damaged as a result.

The performance is still a mixed bag on my laptop (2.8GHz Core2Duo). I think that they do a lot of image caching which is fine with desktop hard drives, but not so great for portables. Also, "brush" edits seem to be *much* slower than I remember for 3.0. I have one raw file with two brushed areas that takes 10-15 seconds to update the display following any change to a brush's slider parameters.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:16:13 am by Lost »

David Good

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:06:40 am »

I am having no problems with this release, not sluggish, not crashing, nothin'. I haven't even noticed a hit in performance with the lens perspective control enabled (I'll check), the adjustment brush is also not sluggish for me. This is on a new i7 2.8GHZ with 6GB RAM, 64-bit, but even my laptop is almost as responsive and stable. I haven't used the Flickr uploader yet though.   

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:20:40 am »

I think the performance problems people see depend on both the camera and the type of edits you make. I only seem to get problems with Panasonic RAW files and then only when using brush/spot tools. Canon RAW and JPGs seem to work fine.

Mostly I'm pretty happy (and the new develop process is much better at handling shadow noise or high ISO work than it was in LR 2).

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:09 am »

The only area where I still experience problems is with those images where I apply Perspective Control. Once I have done that, further editing with the local adjustment brush or spot removal is painfully slow and tedious. I am beginning to think that this is just a price which I will have to pay with my large MF files, and so I am tending to leave PC and crop until after I have done spot removal and brush edits.

I find using CS4 (Distort function) MUCH easier for perspective control. That's where I prefer to do it. I also like the spot removal in CS4 better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up