Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA241W - Questions  (Read 1924 times)

paolo1968

NEC PA241W - Questions
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:16:57 am »

Hello there, I am a new forum user, and I've just bought a NEC PA241W.
I chose it for the wide gamut, for the quality, and the great reviews it had. (I had also a Dell 24" 2407WFP)
I am a Canon/Lightroom user.
I have a basic, maybe silly question about the colour processing and profiling. The PA241 has embedded different color profiles you can choose by OSD, mainly AdobeRGB, sRGB, Full. In AdobeRGB and Full mode it has a wider gamut, and I read it shows all the colors which is capable of. So, let's say I set it on AdobeRGB. Then I process my photo in LR. When I export my Jpg, if I want t keep my colors I'd have to export using AdobeRGB profile in export settings, but if I want to show my picture to everybody I must export in sRGB (because who has an AdobeRGB monitor?). So, if I am an amateur photographer, and I want to process my raws and post somewhere and only sometimes print.. should I set everything on sRGB and loose all NEC colors? (and... money I spent)?
Any help appreciated ;)

WombatHorror

Re: NEC PA241W - Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:23 pm »

Hello there, I am a new forum user, and I've just bought a NEC PA241W.
I chose it for the wide gamut, for the quality, and the great reviews it had. (I had also a Dell 24" 2407WFP)
I am a Canon/Lightroom user.
I have a basic, maybe silly question about the colour processing and profiling. The PA241 has embedded different color profiles you can choose by OSD, mainly AdobeRGB, sRGB, Full. In AdobeRGB and Full mode it has a wider gamut, and I read it shows all the colors which is capable of. So, let's say I set it on AdobeRGB. Then I process my photo in LR. When I export my Jpg, if I want t keep my colors I'd have to export using AdobeRGB profile in export settings, but if I want to show my picture to everybody I must export in sRGB (because who has an AdobeRGB monitor?). So, if I am an amateur photographer, and I want to process my raws and post somewhere and only sometimes print.. should I set everything on sRGB and loose all NEC colors? (and... money I spent)?
Any help appreciated ;)

You should set it to Native/Full gamut mode rather than AdobeRGB, for editing. You should probably use ProPhotoRGB 16bit in photoshop, although AdobeRGB 16bit does cover most images and is a bit more efficient. You should save in the editing gamut (prophotorgb/adobergb) for yourself and then save an additional copy in sRGB for posting to the web.

Sadly places like Zen and Smugmug are living in the past and refuse to allow users to post wide gamut images even if they want to (they will actually automatically reformat your images against your wishes, which stinks and means that pretty much nobody ever gets a chance to see anyone else's work in full color even if they have a wide gamut monitor).
Pages: [1]   Go Up