Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D2X  (Read 8469 times)

glenngaryglenross

Nikon D2X
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 11:00:52 pm »

I need to reconsider the d2x in light of the canon 5d. I just want to have a good fixed focal length or zoom lens at 24mm for the canon. I have been using an ef 24mm f2.8 on my eos-3, along with several other fixed focal length wide angles.

It has been mentioned that the sample landscape image canon provides shows the soft edges produced by the 17-40mm that the dx2 seems to avoid with a smaller sensor. I'm also concerned that constantly changing fixed focal length lenses in the field will result in more dust spots on the sensor.

So to get the best wide angle images from the 5d should I stick with my 24mm f2.8, go with the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, ..?

TIA - R

Ben Rubinstein

Nikon D2X
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 03:21:27 pm »

I spent half an hour today with a D2X in my hand, I just couldn't get my hand to fit right, my thumb just didn't seem to slot into the groove on the back, I thought it was just the D70 and that I could get used to the D2X but it just wouldn't work, wierd. The viewfinder is noticeably small compared to FF but what I would give for that wide spread of AF points in a canon camera!

BobMcCarthy

Nikon D2X
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 05:28:04 pm »

Pom,

Wait until you look through the penta "mirror" in your 5D.

I was looking at the spec's on the CanonUSA site, they did a fair amount of cost cutting to get this baby out.

Here's the link

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir....d=11933

I was actually expecting a reduced format Pro level camera from Canon.

The cost of the chip is a big disadvantage when going up against reduced format equivalent.

If it was my money, I'd keep the 1Ds, but then its not...

Bob

Ben Rubinstein

Nikon D2X
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:15 am »

A journalist who was present at the launch said on Rob Galbraith

http://forums.robgalbraith.com/showfla....#357422

that the viewfinder was maybe better than the one on his 1Ds mkII, I don't think he was BS-ing, he was pretty unhappy about the build compared to his mkII.

Paul Sumi

Nikon D2X
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 05:02:11 pm »

Both pentaprisms and pentamirrors functionally serve the same purpose. However, the latter is less expensive and serves as a cost-cutting measure for low-end cameras like the Canon Digital Rebel/EOS 350D.  The EOS 20D, 5D, 1D and 1Ds all use prisms.

Paul

BobMcCarthy

Nikon D2X
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 03:07:27 pm »

I can list a few reasons why I'm extremely pleased with the D2x.

The body in every way is pro caliber. Everything falls to hand readily. Most ergonomic camera I've ever owned

Focus system is very capable and complex. A learning experience in itself. But when understood, its a wonder

Old manual Focus lenses work very well. Even some of the older ones that were extremely sharp in the center but soft on the edges as D2x uses best part of the lens. Saves conciderable weight and space over modern AF equivalents.

Simple mirror lockup. self explanitory

Very sharp in default mode, minimal sharpening required even in Raw.

I just don't see moire in my shots. Whether that's camera or processing, doesn't matter - it works.

Nikon makes pro level DX lenses. Not cheap, but excellent.

Nikon Flash setup is incredible with the new 800/600 series.

Metering system is color sensitive, with more sensor elements than one could ever want. Excellent exposure results if you let the camera decide when the need arises. Spot/averaging/compensation when you want to decide.

As for noise over 800, maybe, but I rarely shoot there. As for reduced dynamic range, I sure don't see it

I'm making 16"x24"s that look as good as anything my 'blad did

I'm not going to debate if D2x or 1DsMKii is better. Canon offers in many cases a comparable capablity.  Nikon is conciderably cheaper and has a pro-class body with pro quality systems.

Lastly, the final output is up to you not the camera, so recognize you're the weakest link with pro level camera's

Hope this helps.

bob

Hermie

Nikon D2X
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 04:26:39 pm »

Nikon have encrypted the white balance data for RAW files so you need to use their apparently sub standard software to convert the RAW.
or use Bibble Pro that also decrypts WB correctly.
And it's fast !

Herman

BobMcCarthy

Nikon D2X
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 05:49:16 pm »

I did take a few test shots at bhphoto here in NYC the other day. It is heavy especially with the 17-55mm. The price had just dropped to $4600 for the body (although the website still shows $4995) - maybe in anticipation of the new canon. - R

Thats typically the way camera companies market. Make us early adopters pay full boat, and after the rush subsides, drop the price a little.

My favorite setup for walking with the D2x is to take an old fossilized 20mm f/4 from the mid 70's with a 50-135 from early 1980's. The camera allows you to imput the lens parameters and full matrix metering is available. The weight is less than the D2x with 17-55. Big camera-small light lenses make workload reasonable. The 50-135 with DX is the equivalent of a 70-210 and a small fraction of the weight. And sharp, you betcha. It may be the sharpest tele zoom I've ever owned.  I paid $200 bucks used mint.

Don't get me wrong I own the super AF lenses too, but they do tend to weigh one down. With the remarkable i-TTL flash system, I would never concider using anything but the AF lens system. The results are amazing. The camera covers up a multitude of sins when working with flash.

Bob

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon D2X
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 09:33:28 pm »

Thanks gentlemen,

The fact that I know you know what you are talking about makes the compliments all the more enjoyable!

2 years ago, I hardly knew what 4*5 was, but it really has changed the way I look at photography. That's where being a mere amateur, single and without the need for a car brings some advantage... :-) No wife to tell me that I'd better use the money for something more useful and reasonnable, like my future pension... :-)

I guess that I should quickly invest in 8*10 or 11*14 before things change for the worse (from a photographic standpoint at least).

Regards,
Bernard

BobMcCarthy

Nikon D2X
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 10:29:36 am »

Joke aside, 4*5 can be rather cheap if you decide to start with a second hand view camera, scan with a flatbed scanner etc... The amount of film shot is rather limited, and using a 6*12 roll film back can further take the cost down once the back is purchased.

Do you think the current inexpensive flat bed can pull out the detail and density range of a 4x5 (or 5*4 if you're a brit)?

I see your using an Imacon. Stellar scanner.

Anyone have an interest in a ZoneVI (Besselar modified by Z-VI) 4x5 enlarger w/cold light? Print washers, etc. I can't imagine ever using it again.

Bob

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon D2X
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 12:27:14 pm »

Hello Bob,

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I bought an Epson F3200 first, hoping that it would do the trick, but I end up having an image quality which is probably inferior to that delivered by the D2X, or perhaps still slightly better only. The 4990 is seemingly a bit better than the F3200, but still not good enough to really extract the detail and DR out of the slides.

I think that it does probably make sense to scan 4*5 with a 4990 for prints no larger than A3 and web posting. Then you can always ask a scanning bureau to work on those special images that deserve more care and that you want to print larger.

I bought the Imacon second hand from ebay for less than 5000 US$. Still a very large amount of money obviously, but I guess that it is relatively cheap compared to the original price of the scanner, and compared to the price of a new 646 for instance. Was it a good purchase? Judging from the results yes, but judging from the usage I make of it, it would have made more sense to have the slides scanned by pros I think.

Best regards,
Bernard

Graham Welland

Nikon D2X
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 06:12:36 pm »

Didn't John Shaw switch to Canon??
One drawback that I noticed with the D2X is that the viewfinder is very difficult to see in the sun, much more difficult than a 1DmII which I have.

As far as the viewfinder, it's fine. If you mean the rear LCD display, then I'll offer it could be better outside, but then I'm looking through the protector. It's OK for evaluation. I just ramp up the brightness.

bob
I find myself being a camera system butterfly ... I flipped back to a Nikon D2X from Canon 20D instead of my original plan to move to the 1Ds for the reasons already given here - #1 being the superior ergonomics and weight balance.

Regarding the viewfinder, I've not noticed any issues at all with bright sunlight unless you are trying to use it from a distance where maybe you'll get reflections.

I abandoned the soft LCD cover and replaced it with the Hoodman flip up version. Since the D2X pretty much nails the exposure every time I find little need for chimping and so the hooded design works very well, particularly in bright light. I dial in a -1/6 -1/3 stop exposure in the custom exposure tuning and hardly ever need worry about blown highlights.

I initially had the focussing issues that others have alluded to but that was really due to the default mode of AF-C being selected. For landscape/more static work AF-S mode eliminates any hunting of the focussing system.

The one thing that still catches me out is the mirror lock up mode as I still forget to reset it sometimes and you can't cancel lock up without firing an exposure once it has locked up - ok, no biggie but you do then have to delete the shot.

Weight-wise the D2X feels a lot lighter than my old D1X and not much different to the 20D with BG-E2. The D2X with 17-55DX feels more balanced than the 20D/24-70L combo for general travel work too.

What I really like are the minor attentions to details such as the storage compartment on the back of the rubber seal for the remote/PC connector caps so that you don't lose them. Similarly the thumb ridge on the rear and the slightly recessed grip at the front make carrying and using the camera very easy and comfortable. For my hands it is a perfect fit.
Graham

John Camp

Nikon D2X
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 10:39:22 am »

In choosing between the 5D and the D2x, there are a lot of issues, but disposing of your present Canon stuff to switch to Nikon would cost you a lot without necessarily gaining much...The fact is, the image quality of the 1DSII and the D2X (and probably the 5D) are so close as to make "quality" of final print more of a question of technique than of camera. Some points:

You mention that the D2X feels heavy. The 5D is lighter, at about 2 pounds compared to about 2 pounds, 8 ounces for the D2X. The 1DSII is a real brick, coming in at 3 pounds, 5 ounces. (There's a bigger weight difference between the 1DSII and the D2x than between the D2x and the 5D.) The D2X really isn't a heavy camera. But you have to understand that the quality of the cameras is different -- the D2x and the 1DSII are fully professional cameras with stuff like weather sealing, better autofocus, etc.

You talk about looking for a solid wide angle lens. If your main use is wide angle, I would check carefully the corner softness of the 5D (and the 1DSII for that matter.) Nikon's WA lenses are better. But: Canon-mounts take other brands of lenses, and I am told (on this forum, somewhere) that WA Zeiss and Contax lenses work well on Canons, with readily available adapters. It would cost you a few bucks, and you might want to explore the issue with some other Canon shooters (I shoot a D2x), but that may be a solution. If the 5D comes in at the $3300 price, you could get a #### good WA lens for the difference between $3300 and $4700 of the Nikon, and not have to give up your other Canon equipment.

In my opinion, contra Michael's, full-frame is essentially a non-issue; if anything, I think, like Bernard, that the benefits of a smaller sensor outweigh the benefits of full-frame, as long as final print quality is essentially the same.

But the cameras are different in ways other than sensor size. Canons apparently are better in dim light, which is a benefit for fast-action sports shooters working in arenas or other night-time or dimly lit venues. The only time I personally have shot anything faster than ASA400 is the occasional through-the-glass-in-the-museum photo, where you can't use a flash because of reflections, and tripods are not allowed. Basically, the quality of shots of ASA1600-3200 are another non-issue for me, but it may be an issue for you.

There is also the question of ergonomics. Ergonomics count for me, but the slower you work, the less important it is, IMHO. If you have to work fast, as in street photography or news photography, it can be pretty important. On the other hand, you can get used to almost anything, with time. News photogaphers (Weegee) used to do grab shots with Speed Graphics and flash bulbs...

JC

BobMcCarthy

Nikon D2X
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:29 pm »

Is there a difference between a penta "mirror" and a penta "prism" from a functional viewpoint (pun intended).

My D70 is like looking down a tunnel compared to the D2. I'm assuming thats by design with the .70 mag.

I also read a discussion where the features list on a Canon Japan site had pentaprism not mirror.

Sorry if I put out misinformation. Frankly I don't know what the reality is.

Bob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up