Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roll or Cut Sheet Printer?  (Read 2510 times)

Mettius

Roll or Cut Sheet Printer?
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:11 pm »

Hello,

I'm about to purchase an entry level large format printer.
One thing I am having a lot of trouble deciding on is how important is having a "roll" printer, vs. one that only handles cuts sheets via a paper tray?  I am looking at the HP DesignJet 111, which I know isn't a high end unit, but for my needs (mostly printing things like maps and graphics which will not be viewed "critically") it looks like it will work.  However it comes in two versions. One with a "manual feed" roll.  The other with a front side paper tray.  Both would support printing to the size paper I need (18" x 22"), but... how to choose?

Also, does anyone know what the difference between an "Automatic" vs "Manual" Roll feed is?  For example the HP DesginJet 111 is referenced as a manual type and the HP DesignJet 130 refers to it as an "Automatic" roll feed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

KevinWilliams

Re: Roll or Cut Sheet Printer?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »

I'd go with roll feed, you will find a lot of different types of papers readily available for roll feeding and will generally be a lot less than getting cut sheets.

Pete Berry

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »

Hello,

Also, does anyone know what the difference between an "Automatic" vs "Manual" Roll feed is?  For example the HP DesginJet 111 is referenced as a manual type and the HP DesignJet 130 refers to it as an "Automatic" roll feed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Probably the difference between a totally passive roll feeder vs. powered roll unit as in the Canon iPF series. I've only used the latter, but all you have to do is to guide the paper into the slot and it is automatically secured and taken in. And pressing "Stop/Eject", it is released and re-wound.

All in all, probably not a great deal of difference unless you do a lot of switching between roll and cut sheet.

Pete

Paul Stalker

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:35:30 pm »

My office just got the DJ111 (manual roll) a couple of months ago for printing working maps for developer clients. Quality seems fine for that and it's hard to beat the price for that size, for low volume use (only about 20 large maps so far).

Mettius

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

My main concern with the roll printer is the "paper curl" problem I've read about.  I will be printing very low volumes. (A few prints/week) I've read that the rolls produce curled sheets more at the end of the roll and when the roll has been exposed to air for a while and has "dried out".

I don't really want to mess with uncurling sheets if it is a common problem. Is this an issue for you folks?
If I don't go roll, is obtaining different large format cut sheet paper types an issue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up