Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup battery for 5D2?  (Read 1954 times)

kevs

Backup battery for 5D2?
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »

Just got 5D2.
Are there after market batteries that one can trust? thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

lightstand

Re: Backup battery for 5D2?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »

Not the one from CTA: A) it doesn't communicate with the camera, B) it requires you carry it's own charger with you (so I always need to take both the Canon and CTA charger, Finally after one year of mild use it doesn't hold a charge.  Fully charged I wasn't even done setting up the first view of the day and it died on me.

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »

Hi,

A Canon battery is about $100 to $120 Canadian. I am not sure what savings there might be for a non-original battery but i suspect that the savings would not be worth any subsequent aggravations. Buy the Canon battery. I only have two batteries and find that this is quite sufficient even when working a lot with LiveView.

Jean-Michel

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:39:32 am »

Just got 5D2.
Are there after market batteries that one can trust? thanks.
You've spent the best part of £1,800 on a camera and now you want to save £40 or so on a spare battery? No offence intended but I think your priorities are a little misplaced. Buy a Canon battery for your Canon camera and don't worry about whether it'll be compatible or trustworthy.

IMHO.

Jeremy

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:26 am »

I have not used an aftermarket battery, but after buying an aftermarket cheap Chinese cable release that lasted all of one day, I am very leery of these cheap alternatives to official Canon accessories.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Clearair

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

My 5D11 is 20 months old and the supplied battery has been faultless and all I need.
But I have not used live view or video.

I will use live view more as tethered shooting is something I am now interested in and video also.

So check out the battery and it's efficiency to re charge is now down to 2 green bars of soap.
£70 for one of these?

In the past I have used Hahnel replacement Canon batteries for 40D etc bodies with very good results. Gold plated contacts and greater capacity.
For the 5D11 these are available for £54.

I am trying out a Blumax brand at present which uses the Canon charger and shows the same info in the menu but you can't register it to the camera.
Try £30 from a UK supplier, return if not happy.

Regards

Early days but I am trying to be careful with my 5D11 but know that Canon are not a prime battery manufacturer and so we pay for that spec too much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up