Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: South west USA  (Read 7416 times)

Rick H.

South west USA
« on: March 10, 2003, 07:04:38 pm »

Death Valley comes to mind, but August is not a plesant month to be in the middle of a super heated desert valley...

The road out of Utah into Nevada might offer some sights. The last time I drove it I was really impressed with some areas well before and a bit after you get to the desert. You can drive from Vegas through Death Valley to get to the 395 on your way to Yosemite. If you can stand the heat, Michael has some photos of DV on the site. Also, once you hit 395 you have several oportunities. You can side track at Lone Pine and take a day or two hiking up Mt. Whitney (highest mountain in the states, or is it just lower 48?) Those in super shape have done the climb in a day. I would take a couple days or just take a picture of it from below...   There are also a couple places you can turn off to see bristlecone pines (sp?). These are some of the oldest living trees, and just about the oldest living thing, on the planet.

Going further north you pass by Mammoth Mountain/Lakes which is very picturesque any time of year. Mammoth turn off is right near Bishop. Mono Lake which is very popular at sunrise, or sunset for a bit of Tufa shooting. Lee Vening marks the place for both Mono lake and the Entrance to the Tioga Pass. The Tioga Pass, actually in Yosemite, gets you from the east side of the Sierras to the west and is a non-stop panoramic. It's about a two hour drive that can turn into a week long trip with all the stops and side road hikes you can make.

Hope this helps,
Rick

Ettore IT

South west USA
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 03:06:27 am »

>How are you travelling?< I will rent a car.

>How much time do you have?< 30 days

>Where must you start?< LOS ANGELES

>Where must you finish?< SAN FRANCISCO

I think...Los Angleles-Grand Canyon-Page-Monument Valley-Arches-Bryce-Zion-Las Vegas-Death VAlley-Mono Lake-Yosemite-Big Sur-San Francisco. This is my direction...

Thank you

Ettore
NW Italy

Peter McLennan

South west USA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 02:30:18 pm »

>How much time do you have?< 30 days

>Where must you start?< LOS ANGELES

>Where must you finish?< SAN FRANCISCO

I think...Los Angleles-Grand Canyon-Page-Monument Valley-Arches-Bryce-Zion-Las Vegas-Death VAlley-Mono Lake-Yosemite-Big Sur-San Francisco. This is my direction...

Thank you

Ettore
NW Italy

Perfect.  If you can possibly arrange it, make it a minivan.  With a little bit of planning, you can sleep in it.  Not to save money, but to be somewhere special at dawn and sunset.

My God.  You've done your research.

email me off-list for specific advice.  I am your man.

paulheinrich

South west USA
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 03:51:26 pm »

PLease ignore the photo URL from my previous posting.  I found the level of criticism on photosig.com to be somewhat less than useful.  If you'd like to see some of my photos from the Arizona area, please check out my personal website.

Paul Heinrich's Photo Page

Ettore IT

South west USA
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 05:06:10 pm »

I will be in south-west US in August...

Where is the best place between Zion and Yosemite in august for landscape photography?

I have some days but not 1000...

Thank you

Ettore
NW Italy

Peter McLennan

South west USA
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 12:18:52 am »

How are you travelling?

How much time do you have?

Where must you start?

Where must you finish?

Rob

South west USA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 04:37:36 am »

Ettore, you can contact me at I can give you some information
Ciao
ROberto (NE Italy)

paulheinrich

South west USA
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 02:51:29 pm »

If you're in the Page/Grand Canyon area consider dropping down south to the Flagstaff area.  There are a lot of amazing scenery and ruins around here and with luck August will put you in Arizona during the monsoon (for great clouds).

I just posted a Flagstaff area photo to photosig.com

Lopatki Ruins at Sunset

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
South west USA
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 05:50:44 pm »

The loop you've suggested sounds great (I've done almost all of it myself on various trips), but I'd make sure to have a few extra days to spend in the Eastern Sierras, on the little roads and trails leading up into the mountains from Highway 395 (which you'll need to take to go from Death Valley or Las Vegas to Mono Lake anyway), where you get dramatic craggy mountains and lakes.  South Lake, Rock Creek, and Convict Lake are some of my favorites in that area, and that whole area is delightfully uncrowded and unphotographed.  Some places, like Rock Creek, require hiking to get to the really good parts, while others, like South Lake and Convict Lake, have beautiful views from the end of the road.  The view of the east wall of the Sierras from the White Mountains road is also stunning, and that's where the ancient bristlecone pines (beloved of many outdoor photographers, especially Galen Rowell) are.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up