Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One V-Grip Air  (Read 11731 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Re: Phase One V-Grip Air
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »

Have to admit the DF made the difference to me as to hold or move on. I needed the speed and I also need that shutter delay to go away badly. I was missing action shots and that was not good. The DF is not perfect and frankly none of them are but it is worth the upgrade and after getting the P40+ i feel I have the best system for me and not wanting for much. Okay I want all the LS glass but that is a different story and obviously we all want to see progression in the bodies but we need to remember if a company plows forward sometimes it is not always easy to go back to the legacy gear and support it. Bottom line end of day and someone mentioned this all this stuff is somewhat legacy film days and we don't even need a shutter curtain anymore. As time marches on the OEM's will start designing stuff that is purely new and electronic and not based on anything in the past and a lot of that stuff will not get the new tech support. I have been doing digital since 1990 and that is 20 years ago and we are still stuck on film based cams and lenses. This will change for the better but we maybe stuck with upgrading faster as well. Just like computers it is part of the business and honestly as much as it may hurt us we have to support it also.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »

At least with the Phase One open system your digital back and lenses (the heft of your investment) can be used with a new body if/when you choose to upgrade your body. You can keep your 45+ and upgrade your body to get faster/better AF speed, better ergonomics, better mirror dampening, some great custom functions, leaf shutter lenses, and a vertical grip. In a closed system the digital back and body must be upgraded together or not at all. You can also use your AF body as a backup with your back whereas if you have to upgrade back and body together your old body cannot be used with the new back.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:16:08 pm by dougpetersonci »

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 02:59:21 pm »

how many times you wanna tell us how great it is to have an 'open system'
when all the stuff that was proudly announced just 2 years ago at photokina for the afd III (leaf shutter lenses, grip...)
does not fit on this camera - which makes it necessary to buy the next one.
its pretty rediculous and by the way, maybe phase one owners have been able to get an upgrade for 1500$,
nobody from mamiya ever approached me regarding a swap.

paul ross jones

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 06:49:41 pm »

i guess if they had made this compatible with the old, it would have lost a few features. two years ago, leaf and mamiya wasn't owned by phase so wouldn't have taken their batteries , there was no such thing as a "air sync". there was no leaf shutter for the high sync capability.

also, the camera body is only a part of an expensive system- cheaper than some of the lenses. seems ok to update that every now and then.

paul

michele

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 07:17:43 am »

well, if you take a look at a portrait of Richard avedon by Annie Leibovitz you can see Him in 2002 with his camera. A 8x10" Sinar maybe 35 years old. Now, i know we can't expect to keep a digital back for so long, neither a medium format body. But when i see that photo I see a man that doesn't care about his camera, he cares about his vision and doing beautiful photographs. he uses a camera like an instrument. Three weeks ago my phaseone 80mm stopped working, i have to wait till september to fix it. When i take in my hand my camera i ask myself: is it going to work or is it going to explode in my hands? Well, i just want to relax and think how to be a better photographer, and having a new camera with a vertical grip is not going to make me a better photographer. I'm going to spend that money working on my portfolio.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 04:05:39 am »

well, if you take a look at a portrait of Richard avedon by Annie Leibovitz you can see Him in 2002 with his camera. A 8x10" Sinar maybe 35 years old. Now, i know we can't expect to keep a digital back for so long, neither a medium format body. But when i see that photo I see a man that doesn't care about his camera, he cares about his vision and doing beautiful photographs. he uses a camera like an instrument. Three weeks ago my phaseone 80mm stopped working, i have to wait till september to fix it. When i take in my hand my camera i ask myself: is it going to work or is it going to explode in my hands? Well, i just want to relax and think how to be a better photographer, and having a new camera with a vertical grip is not going to make me a better photographer. I'm going to spend that money working on my portfolio.

richard avedon is a great artist, but hardly a model of a professional commercial photographer. Few of have the ability and luck to reach his level of work, and there really isn't the room in the industry to fit too many people at that level.
anyone who has ever used a 8 x 10 sinar is very much into the technical side, as well as choosing a format that has a very unique look . it was the finest equipment of the time. but a bloody difficult format to use. limited and difficult, it wasn't an "easy" option.

and a vertical grip wont make you a great photographer, but its all part of getting the "technical" side out of the way. it just helps make life easier day to day. try holding a camera for an 18 day shoot thats all vertical without a vertical grip, its hard work.

i started shooting large format, medium format film, but since we have moved to digital- even with all its teething problems, life has been so much less stressful.
no worrying, waiting for clip tests at the lab. being able to know you have the shot on the day of the shoot- and being able to walk into another shoot the next day. digital doesnt have all the unnecessary waste of what film had- sometimes there would two sacks full of wrappers and film junk left after every day (except nowdays its been replaced with water bottles!).
all these things really have made me be able to think about what is important-  taking great shots. and may of these shots are actually technically impossible to have shot back in avedons day, all because technology.

i dream of a day where all this technology has its hay-day, and cameras, computers all work together seamlessly to do everything i want, so i really can concentrate on the most important thing, taking a great photo. all these little improvements like the grip are worth it.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up