Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One V-Grip Air  (Read 11712 times)

jimgolden

• http://
Re: Phase One V-Grip Air
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:30:39 pm »

OK Hassie - the bar has been set...

amsp

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:07:28 pm »

Very nice, this is the kind of quality innovation I hope we'll see in the next generation of backs too.

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:26:05 pm »

Wow this is brilliant. A nice upgrade for the DF. And its not that heavy either: Weight: 364g without batteries and strap.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »

is everyone fine with Phase limiting the use for Profoto Air?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

is everyone fine with Phase limiting the use for Profoto Air?

Looks like you can buy the transceiver and get it to work with other strobes...
Rolleiflex USA

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »

Looks like you can buy the transceiver and get it to work with other strobes...

That's correct, see also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL4DSFKRTkE

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:38 pm »

LoL....  I have 10 D1 Air's, the transceiver, the USB dongle to connect to the laptop and the P65+.  Ironically I got rid of my 645 DF.

Shame I don't have any use for one.  I did get Arca to make me a cold shoe adapter, so at least I can mount the transceiver atop the Rm3d...

Funny.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38:22 pm »

Is it ok to make it specific to Profoto Air? Well to be fair you have to look at what other companies have done that have incorporated wireless flash sync into their camera grip. O wait - Phase One is the first to do it  :).

Seriously though: the choice to go with the Air system rather than, say PocketWizard, shows it's benefits in the 1/1600 WIRELESS flash sync. The benefits of a Leaf Shutter lens are partly/largely wasted when you can only sync (with full power) at 1/400th as is the case with PocketWizard Plus II. This will be the first system allowing full studio strobe power to sync at 1/1600. Canon/Nikon solutions for high-speed sync (e.g. PocketWizard TT1/TT5) all drastically reduce the maximum power of the flash unit to allow fast sync speeds often leading to two or even four nikon/canon flashes being placed in an umbrella and/or compromises on what kind of light shaping devices (softboxes/diffusers etc) are used to work around the lower maximum output. With this you'd be able to sync Profoto D1 (Air receiver built in) at 1/1600 at full power allowing you to use whatever light shaping device you want.

This, at least, according to the spec sheet. We always like to get our hands on newly announced gear to assess it's real world performance. Stay tuned for just those tests when the units ship in late September.

[font="Arial"]Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
[/font]

JDG

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:42 am »

I'm sure you can still put a pocket wizard on the hot shoe like you would already... but doug is right, the Profoto Air is a better system.  If Phase is going to incorporate a system, it makes sense to go with the best.

nkbitsch

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:43 am »

Hi everybody! This is my first post on this forum, and I'm looking forward to read and write many more in the future..

Besides taking my master in corporate finance, I'm working at Phase Ones test lab in Copenhagen, Denmark. I just wanted to say, that I'm glad that you are all positive about what we have spend a lot of hours testing the past month.

Two weeks ago, I decided to begin writing a blog about all that high end photo gear that I'm testing + some gadgets. I thought that this forum would probably be a good one to hijack some readers from, so if you are interested in cool new gear, and to be the first to be informed about new product from P1, please check it out www.photogear.dk.

I hope that everybody is fine with me, doing some advertising for my blog :)

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 02:06:20 pm »

Mamiya should be commended for the grip.   It's much needed in any format and I hope it all works as planned.

Just looking at the visual the one thing I don't get is the handstrap that goes underneath the camera.  If you shoot horizontal on a tripod your gonna have to go strapless and nobody wants to hold anything expensive strapless.

(Well at least not a camera).

BC

ondebanks

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:01:22 pm »

I watched all the vidz at CI...very nicely thought out indeed. Love the integrated Arca L plate...why aren't they all like this?

One question - does this only work with the DF? I mean obviously the more advanced electronic functions like the USB firmware upgrade link and the wireless flash link may be DF only; but as a "dumb" grip will it fit the AFD, AFDII and AFDIII? It looks like it has the same mechanical profile as the battery unit on my AFD.

nkbitsch

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:25:58 am »

I'm sorry to inform you, that it will only work on the 645DF :( ..
This is due to a recess inside the body, which allow the grip to connect properly.

The AFD etc. doesnt have this recess, and therefore, you won't be able to "fit" it all way up in the body.

Here are some images.

michele

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 06:17:37 am »

Beautiful, so now my PhaseOne 645 AF has a RIP above her head. I can't use the schneider lenses and i can't use the vertical grip. I have to buy the DF. Now tell me, are you planning to release a new camera the next year that will have some new features like for example a GPS that will not be available for the PhaseOne DF?
I love my P45+, but i should shift to hasselblad

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 08:37:30 am »

Every camera manufacturer can and should release newer improved camera bodies and accessories.  Hasselblad and Phase are no different here.  If Hassy released a H5D, I doubt you'd find many in the Hassy camp moaning that they should have bought Phase because they have the H4D "with RIP" on its head.  Each system has its own merits and produce outstanding images, regardless of whatever is the latest iteration released.  The decision between the two is often personal in workflow.  While continuity is appreciated in being able to use all accessories/equipment across the camera line, I understand that advances in technology can sometimes preclude that capability.  The loss of filmback use on the DF is one example, and a worthwhile tradeoff at the same time.

The differences between the earlier Mamiya-Phase bodies was somewhat minor.  The upgrade from the Phase 645AF body to the Phase 645DF body is substantial and worthwhile, independent of accessories such as the new V grip.

:)  ken

michele

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:00 am »

I think your point of view is interesting and also true, i belive you are right. But i also feel frustrated by the fact that i alredy put much money on the system, i'd like to expand the perfomance of my camera but i can't do it changing every year a 5000 euro body. And we are simply talking about accessories! I can understand that the DF is a better camera, never tested one, but i can understand it. What i don't understand is why in the world i have to buy a new body just to use the new accessories... This is frustrating...
The medium format land is made of much money, i invested on phaseone and in my mind i thought, ok today i get the body, the back and few lenses; tomorrow another lens and so on. This thought is over, i can't pay 20.000 euro per year for my camera system

ondebanks

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:21 am »

I sympathise with Michele. "Open platform" rings hollow when backward compatibility is being continually eroded. It pisses off existing brand loyalists, and greatly discourages new potential users going through the process of wondering if they should invest into the system.

Question to PhaseOne: maybe this one is soluble. If as you say the only thing preventing use of this V-grip on the older bodies is the shape of the bit sticking out the top of the battery holder, could you produce (with minimal additional R&D) a version with that little bit modified so as to fit the pre-DF series? Think of the size of the established pre-DF user base...I think it makes business sense.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:03:55 am »

Just a FYI Phase did offer all Phase owners within the year of there purchase ( I think it was last June) the upgrade to the DF for 1500 dollars from the AFDIII. Can't remember all the dates and details but I was able to do this and I thought it was a good business decision
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:19 am »

Michele,

I consider myself lucky to have been able to take advantage of the Phase "DF Upgrade from AF" offer that Guy Mancuso mentions.  And your frustration is absolutely understandable.  It's probably not much consolation that IMO, the DF body is the first to really mark limitations of use of some accessories (V grip) or capabilities (flash sync) in the Phase/Mamiya bodies.  It is expensive no matter how you want to look at it.  The Phase 645AF is still nothing to sneeze at, but perhaps this would be a great time for Phase to run another "DF Upgrade" Promotion...

:) ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up