Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip Software for Epson Stylus Pro 9900  (Read 13777 times)

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
Rip Software for Epson Stylus Pro 9900
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

Hello!

I recently purchased an Epson Stylus Pro 9900 for my fine art printing business and photo lab.  The individual who sold me the printer has recommended I use the ColorByte Rip software (Image Print V. 8) to improve both workflow and increase color gamut.  i currently run two other RIP softwares for other printers I have, ColorGate's Production House and Colorburst Rip.  With adding a new rip there is a large expense, initial price, learning the rip, creating ICC profiles for all our medias.  I'm fine with making that investment if the ColorByte Rip actually improves the workflow and increases the color gamut, but since the gentleman who recommends the ColorByte Rip also sells the Rip I wonder if he is just trying to make a sale. 

Does anyone have an information/statics/opinions on what Rip works best for the Epson Stylus Pro 9900?  Also, can you please explain the benefits of the Rip you endorse?

thanks,

Matthew   
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

Randy Carone

Rip Software for Epson Stylus Pro 9900
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »

ColorBurst now supports 79/9900 Epson printers. You may want to see if that upgrade would make more sense since you already own (and know) the RIP.
Randy Carone

NWFAP

• Matthew S. - From NW Fine Art Printing
    • Northwest Fine Art Printing
Re: Rip Software for Epson Stylus Pro 9900
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »

Thanks Randy.

I was aware the Colorburst Rip was supporting the 7900/9900 and I have considered running the printer with that Rip.  I just want to make sure that the Rip I use for running the 9900 exploits the new inks and has the largest color gamut possible/most accurate color profiles. 

Basically, I want to know if the Colorbyte Rip is everything I hear about it.  This review I found today sounds really impressive:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/imageprint8.shtml

thanks,

Matthew
Matthew S.<br />Business Development<br /> G7 Expert

Sven W

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:27:39 pm »

I know ImagePrint pretty well, since I used it since 2003 on all our LF Epson (no 5, Ep11880 & no 6, Ep9900 now).
And I have to split your request in some parts:
Pros:
1. It depends in what you use the printer for and how much.
For small-singel-images-RGB workflow, you'll get out the same quality with the driver.
But, huge files, a load of images at the same time with different sizes, finetuning colormanagement,
all at one printingpage; then IP is unbeatable.
2. ColorBytes database with more than 27.000 profiles, for free.
2. Inklaydown is more effective than the driver, as much as 25% lower.
3. B&W with IP's unique gray-profiles, and with very subtle tinting of the image.
4. Slightly better shadows and highlights due to another type of screening.
Cons:
1. Cost
2. Another software to learn.
3. Gamut and D-max not any different than with a proper profile and the driver.
Probably some LL-members will give you the advice to not use a RIP, but for sure, when it comes to a big workflow, then IP is a workinghorse.
/Sven
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:31:14 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

JimGoshorn

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »

Just so you are aware, the ColorBurst RIP v6 on the Mac uses Epson's technology for controlling the inks on 7900 and 9900 printers so it doesn't allow for ink limiting or linearization. My understanding is if you want control over all the ink channels, you would have to use ColorBurst Pro v9 on the PC. More info here:

www.colorburstrip.com

Jim

Salo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:39:47 am »

Regarding Colorgate, can anybody help with the procedure for adjusting the Lc and Lm curves ?

Thanks

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:59 pm »

I don't think Lc Lm are considered "colors" when configuring and profiling.   

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:58 pm »

As an imageprint user, the most frustrating difference for me is that imageprint will not print layered files, so I must always be flattening and saving different versions as i adjust files. From a workflow production standpoint thats a real pain.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:06:06 am »

it's worth mentioning that any RIP that does not use Epson's screening, and gives access to individual color linearization and limiting, as well as total ink limiting, will require 6 color profiles as well. That will limit your choices with profiling software, as well as adding another layer of complication.

Sven W

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 03:56:02 am »

As an imageprint user, the most frustrating difference for me is that imageprint will not print layered files, so I must always be flattening and saving different versions as i adjust files. From a workflow production standpoint thats a real pain.

Totally wrong.
It's been possible to used layered psd for many years in IP. And even tiffs the last years.
One thing to remember is to always have a Background, never only Layers.
And no Alpha channels and no compressed tiffs, which should be with Interleaved pixel order.
When adjusting a file for proofs or tests, I can leave the file open in both PS and IP, just save it and then hit print in IP.
The RIP never uses the "whole" image in the layout, it just send your settings and packages of the saved-on-disk file to the printer. You can also have a similar workflow when re-printing from the Spool. If the particular image isn't moved after the last session.
/Sven
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:58:55 am by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1]   Go Up