Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for ergonomic desk for LR/PS/Wacom/KB  (Read 3142 times)

jtmiller

Recommendations for ergonomic desk for LR/PS/Wacom/KB
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »

I figure that there must be a lot of folks here who have worked through this already and I'd like some suggestions. We have a very nice adjustable ergo chair for our imaging workstation but the desk is a leftover which uses a keyboard tray. The desk is from the era when desk heights were standardized and keyboard trays made up the difference for semi-appropriate keyboarding. This makes the use of the Wacom (medium) Intuos 4 pad pretty clumsy when the chair needs to be moved back to access the keyboard.

I'd like to get a desk which has a desktop height that would be good for keyboarding and Intuos use. We may eventually move up to the large size so that's a consideration as well. The setup has two 24" HD monitors. I think it would need to be a bit deeper than normal so that when using the keyboard and pad we'd still be far enough away from the monitors for comfort.

Any suggestions? Price within reason isn't really the main concern since it would be used for a long time if it's built well and is truely functional and ergonomic.

thanks
jim

theophilus

Re: Recommendations for ergonomic desk for LR/PS/Wacom/KB
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:17 pm »

Check out the Bedford corner desk from Pottery Barn.  I've used it for several years and the corner version can give you the extra depth.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

I put my big Wacom tablet directly in front of me on the desk, and place the keyboard along the top edge of the tablet, between the tablet and the monitor. Then I use my right hand to hold the pen, and my left hand to press keyboard shortcuts to choose tools, resize brushes, etc. My mouse is to the right of the tablet when I need it.

When I'm not retouching, the tablet slides out of the work space and the keyboard moves closer to my seat.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jtmiller

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »

I've decided to start with a GeekDesk (www.geekdesk.com). It may turn out to be a couple of inches too high at its lowest setting but I think I can shorten the leg assemblies and reassemble it without too much trouble.

I have seen a few websites that show an ArtPad on a tilted stand made for a laptop just above the keyboard. That might be worth a look.

Once concern with the GeekDesk is that it might be a bit shallow. But the monitors will need elevating from the desk surface beyond their builtin adjustment so I'll make a monitor shelf 4" high or so the length of the desk that will allow some things to move below the monitors a bit for some relief.

Pages: [1]   Go Up