Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Insects  (Read 49191 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Insects
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:03:38 pm »

I know that macro is not "the thing" here. Apparently there are only four likeminded ( from reading the butterfly posts) photographers here. Maybe it should change to four and a half now..

Your thoughts on the image please?

popnfresh

Re: Insects
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »

I think it's a face only a mother could love... if she's blind!   ;)

And I think it's an effective macro shot.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »

I know that macro is not "the thing" here. Apparently there are only four likeminded ( from reading the butterfly posts) photographers here. Maybe it should change to four and a half now..

It's a scary monster!

I do enjoy good macro photography by people like you and Jack who have the patience and tenacity to do it right. So please keep on posting them, but don't expect any good macros from me.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »

I really like the awkward angles created by the legs, but the dark diagonal line in the right lower corner really does not contribute to the overall effectiveness of the image and leads the eye out of the frame. How about trying to remove it using 'content aware' in CS5.

Julie

tokengirl

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »

It creeps me out.  Which is exactly what a good insect macro should do, IMO.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:22:23 am »

Damn, that looks like me in the morning

Very nice focus Riaan. A bit of a yellow cast though and not much to the background.

Jack

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:48 am »

The Plane of Sharpest Focus seems to be diagonal - did you use a view camera?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:58 am »

Thank you all for looking. Just out of interest- this is a cranefly- Nephrotoma of the Tipulidae family.

Jule- I don't have CS5 but I could probably do something else to the shadow to make it less visible.

Dick: No- I used a manual lens ( Canon 50mm FD) on a set of the old style tubes on a digital camera. Part of my year of self induced "training" of understanding aperture and light loss with tubes. I had to jam the aperture at F22 with a matchstick in the tubes- the resultant dark viewfinder wasn't fun I must say.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:15:51 pm by Riaan-zn »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »

Damn, that looks like me in the morning

If only I looked half as good. BTW, if you haven't seen Ricky Gervais' standup routine 'Animals' & the bit about crane flies, then Google & Youtube are your friends

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:55:26 am »

Might be a cranefly... looks like one of the Skeksis to me...  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Crystal

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:53 pm »

... looks like one of the Skeksis to me...  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Crystal

Mike.

That is indeed scary Mike..

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »

The Plane of Sharpest Focus seems to be diagonal - did you use a view camera?

Dick: No- I used a manual lens ( Canon 50mm FD) on a set of the old style tubes on a digital camera.
How come the POSF is diagonal if you did not use movements? The bottom left corner is OOF, and the bottom right corner is sharp, and the POSF seem to go from there through the diagonal center-line... this is not supposed to possible without movements or a bent camera!

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:06 pm »

Macro is my life pretty much so I'm always game no matter what the trends are here at LL. I for one would love to see this in B&W. The insect has little color of interest but lots of SciFi Monster details and I'm picturing H.R. Giger's artwork when I look at your image. The exposure and lighting on the compound eye looks to me to have great potential for extracting frightening detail. I would even explore cropping quite severely to turn the eye into the main subject and the legs can become more of a geometric, graphic line kind of frame. Also, because your DOF is so great (for this level of magnification) cropping would exagerate the out of focus parts and pull us more towards that super sharp eye.
My 2 cents on a very cool shot. I hope to see more!
Cheers,
David

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:07 pm »

Incredibly Disgusting,

I'm put off my crunchy peanut butter sandwich now.  Hey if you like Macro I was in back home in Holland recently and I came across this Macro site in the dutch magazine, she won an award for her unique technique, you might like it, let me know what you think, I chatted with her recently and she is an elderly lady slightly disabled.  her site is:  www.miesbrocken.nl

Kind regards (ps, if you need some translating let me know)
Chris
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:57 pm »

Amazing, inspiring images and quite unique. Unfortunately the flash website design is so tedious that I lost patience long before I was tired of her photos which is too bad.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:33 am »

Incredibly Disgusting,
I'm put off my crunchy peanut butter sandwich now.  Hey if you like Macro I was in back home in Holland recently and I came across this Macro site in the dutch magazine, she won an award for her unique technique, you might like it, let me know what you think, I chatted with her recently and she is an elderly lady slightly disabled.  her site is:  www.miesbrocken.nl
Kind regards (ps, if you need some translating let me know)
Chris

Some truly exceptional work, very inspiring.

Unfortunately, I too was stymied by the Flash-based site. Still, what I did see of her images was more than a little impressive, especially when considering her disablity. Wow!

Thanks for sharing,

Jack

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 12:36:26 pm »

How come the POSF is diagonal if you did not use movements? The bottom left corner is OOF, and the bottom right corner is sharp, and the POSF seem to go from there through the diagonal center-line... this is not supposed to possible without movements or a bent camera!

I have not a clue why Dick. Unless my homemade adpater for the lens is skew, unlikely though.

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:22 pm »

I agree with the flash website being somewhat of an obstacle in the viewing experience, I had a hunch that people would comment on that so no surprises there.  Also not good for search engine optimisation unless there is an equivalent Xhtml doc attached, since as far as I am aware SEO can not read text integrated with Flash in the google ratings.  Anyway at least we can enjoy her technique.
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »

I have not a clue why Dick. Unless my homemade adpater for the lens is skew, unlikely though.

I think it is obvious that something is "tilted" ...and it is more likely to be you home-made adapter than the lens or camera - perhaps you could create an adapter with tilt adjustment?

JohnKoerner

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:35 pm »

Hey Riaan, do you think the following images qualifies as "Insect Art?"

After all, they're images of a Praying Mantis, the first capturing him in actual prayer and contemplation, the second like he got mad that I disturbed him

Jack

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up