Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macro Lens Question  (Read 2400 times)

Kit-V

Macro Lens Question
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:18:17 am »

I have a Canon Rebel XTi & am interested in buying an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens. However, I recently heard that it would be preferable to buy the EF 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM since this lens was designed for small-sensor cameras (whereby the 100mm was designed for full-frame). Is there any truth in this? If so, what would be the adverse effect(s) of using the 100mm on the XTi?

Thank you for helping me with this.
Falling Fork Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Macro Lens Question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

not having used any of these lenses... The 100mm lenses are about the best lenses you can buy.
Designed for full frame also means that it is designed to serve the more expensive FF bodies.
If you use them on a smaller than full frame sensor - it means you use even the best (center)part of the lens.

100 mm means you are able to shoot the photo from a greater distance ( than with 50mm)- often more convenient.
If you change to a full frame sensor later on you can still use the lens...

I would choose the 100mm- it will be more expensive though..
PS the Carl Zeiss 100m f2 is about the best lens you can buy- but costs a lot.. and is manual focus

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »

I have a Canon Rebel XTi & am interested in buying an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens. However, I recently heard that it would be preferable to buy the EF 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM since this lens was designed for small-sensor cameras (whereby the 100mm was designed for full-frame). Is there any truth in this? If so, what would be the adverse effect(s) of using the 100mm on the XTi?

I have no idea why people would say that a lens in the 60mm range is " designed" for crop sensors. Apart from the physical difference in flange depth between the EF and EFS Canon lenses. Maybe it is part of Canon's marketing plan to sell more of the EFS lenses, forcing you to have to invest in new lenses when you decide to purchase a full frame camera. Get the 100mm and be happy forever after. It works on either.

Roger Calixto

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:47:22 pm »

I have the 100mm USM and love it. I started using it on a digital Rebel, then 30D now 7D. All APS-C sensors. I really love this lens!
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

stever

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »

i bought the 100 for a crop sensor camera before the 60 was available and used it quite a bit.  was dissatisfied with the focus speed of the 100 for underwater photography of small fish and bought the 60.  did not find the focus speed of the 60 to be noticeably better and the working distance at higher magnification was just too short - sold the 60.

depends on your subject.  the 60 is an excellant lightweight lens that is sharp wide open with a useful effective focal length 96mm for general purpose use(except for the slow AF) - great lens for backpacking, and good for flower photography (i use the 100 on ff for flowers).  however, if you often use higher magnification, or are photographing critters, the working distance of the 100 is very desirable.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:08:35 pm »

I have no idea why people would say that a lens in the 60mm range is " designed" for crop sensors. Apart from the physical difference in flange depth between the EF and EFS Canon lenses. Maybe it is part of Canon's marketing plan to sell more of the EFS lenses, forcing you to have to invest in new lenses when you decide to purchase a full frame camera. Get the 100mm and be happy forever after. It works on either.
What makes you think an Xti owner would suddenly decide to spend $2k+ on a FF camera?  I should think that mount, imaging circle size and the fact that the 60mm focal length on a crop is basically the same as the 100mm on FF probably have more to do with the "designed for crop" designation than sinister marketing plans.

I'd get the 100mm macro for the extra working distance.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:15:14 am »

There is nothing "preferable" about the 60mm lens, except the price.

All other advantages go to the 100mm, most especially (as has been mentioned) a more comfortable working distance from the subject.

Jack

Kit-V

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:11 am »

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro arrived yesterday.
Falling Fork Photography

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

A certain lens might be designed for crop sensors in that it has a smaller image circle, too small for full frame. I don't know if this is true of the lens in question. Of course, this doesn't make it a "better" lens other than it would be lighter, smaller, and cheaper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up