Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sun Setting In An Old Cemetery  (Read 983 times)

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
Sun Setting In An Old Cemetery
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:55:45 am »

I took theses this summer in Newfoundland. This is reputed to be the oldest Irish Cemetery in North America.
The  village of Tilting (Pop 245) traces it's heritage back to the early to mid 1700's.
As you can see it was a remarkable sunset that evening.
C&C always appreciated...Thanks
Blair

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Sun Setting In An Old Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:54:37 am »

I took theses this summer in Newfoundland. This is reputed to be the oldest Irish Cemetery in North America.
The  village of Tilting (Pop 245) traces it's heritage back to the early to mid 1700's.
As you can see it was a remarkable sunset that evening.
C&C always appreciated...Thanks
Blair

The third is the only one which works for me, but it works very nicely. The others look very much like HDR: the fronts of the stones appear unnaturally bright, given that all the light is coming from behind them.

Jeremy

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
Re: Sun Setting In An Old Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:48:00 am »

Thanks Jeremy....The second is a very basic HDR of two shots to bring out the face of the tombstone and the foreground (only the second I've ever done). Even with that I needed to dodge it's front a bit more (CS4 only). The first, however is not HDR and is a single exposure. There was enough ambient light to clearly see the face of the stones but I had to expose for the sunset so it would not be blown out. It was manipulated first in camera raw first (CS4), then third party filters such as nik and kit to bring out the underexposed foreground and stones (CS2).
I makes me wonder that if a "good" HDR is supposed to be subtle then why do it at all if the same effects can be achieved through PP. Just a thought.....
Blair
Pages: [1]   Go Up