Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uploading Photos in Adobe Elements  (Read 2226 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Uploading Photos in Adobe Elements
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:15 pm »

I made the mistake of buying Adobe elements (7) for my 12-year old last year.  A mistake in that it's interface is utterly foreign to what I am used to with CS3 (PS, Bridge, ACR) and that I cannot help my son with the most rudimentary tasks.  Thoroughly frustrating.

Does any anyone know how I can get the program to upload only selected photographs off a portable hard-drive?

I had temporarily transferred three sub-directories worth of his photos onto this drive, which also contains many of my photos (12,000+ photos in total).  We would like to transfer only his photos but the silly program goes onto to scan the entire hard-drive and then displays all 12,000 plus photos as a single large group of thumbnails (similar to the way Bridge - Get Photos from Camera does).  His and mine - no subdirectories.

I simply want to find a way to get the program to show something like a directory tree (ala Windows explorer) or Bridge viewer so that I can quickly select sub-directories from the back-up drive we want and copy/paste them onto my son's PC with his photos only.

I would use Windows explorer w/o Elements and copy and paste that way but we tried this in past and then Elements would not recognize the existance of teh photos, probably because it did not do the transferring.

Any ideas - I am at the point where I may say bleep this and buy him a copy of Lightroom to use

Thanks
[size=12p

John R

Re: Uploading Photos in Adobe Elements
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:05 pm »

I have Elements six and eight and quite frankly never use the organizer. If I recall correctly you can tell the organizer to fetch images from certain folders only. So the thing to do is create a folder with a name, drag all images to that folder. Every time I upload from a memory card, I use the in-house scan program for windows that automatically pops up whenever I plug in card.

1. create folder with name a date and place where you want. I use a date and small topic name, ex: Aug 20-10 Bellfountain; Dec 30-10 HR birthday, etc.

2. plug card into computer, shut down any other auto working programs if they pop up, or tell other programs not to auto download if this option available. Windows autoprogram will pop up; select "Copy picture to folder on my computer." In your case, plug external drive into computer and allow the auto program to start.

3. Simply follow instructions and it will allow you to create a name for images and to direct them to the preselected folder.

4. Otherwise, simply open hardrive folder and drag selected folders to your destination.

JMR

John R

Re: Uploading Photos in Adobe Elements
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »

I don't know what is happening but I had to start another answer. One more suggestion is to temporarily clear the hardrive of all the directories except those that you want to upload. So when Organizer begins it will uplaod only his images. Then reinstall all your directories back onto hardrive.

I just tried another way.

Open elements, click the Organizer tab, select yes to organize media;, Organizer will allow you to find and select a folder, select and upload. Make sure your hardrive is plugged in so Organizer can find it. My suggestion, based on what I tried is place all of your son's images in one folder before you start Organizer, then select the option that says ""select folder and all subfolders."

And while writing this, I noticed one other way: Select Organize tab; go to file and select "Get photos and videos." and once again choose the options that allows you pick your directory and folder.

Sorry about all these changes, but I am having hard time with new system.

JMR
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:48:58 pm by John R »
Pages: [1]   Go Up