Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!! From PC to Mac...  (Read 6228 times)

ron ritcher

Help!! From PC to Mac...
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »

I'm a photo hobbyist with hundreds, not thousands, of images.  I know a bit about photography, but NOTHING about computers, but have noticed that my PC desktop is not only old but slowing down -- time to replace it.  A new iMac has been offered by my dad, but I've been reluctant to change platforms; installing softwear and configuring a system is REALLY FOREIGN and PAINFUL for me.  This offer, though, seems too good to ignore, so my questions:

1.  What about the image programs I currently use?  Will I have to upgrade/start over, or can I somehow transfer them to the iMac?  I've got CS 3, Imageprint, C1 (3.6 or thereabouts), Photokit Sharpener (1.2.6), along with a noiseware plugin.  Could someone describe my options here?

2.  My photo files are stored on an external hard drive, backed-up to another -- both, obviously, formatted for Windows.  How do I go about accessing those files with a new operating system and then (can this even be done?) re-formatting the drives?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Ron

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Help!! From PC to Mac...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »

If necessary you can boot the Mac (assuming it's an Intel chip) into Windoze.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »

Hi Ron, I recently converted to the IMAC from a PC. To my surprise an external USB drive that had been formatted for Windows was recognized right away and the pix, music files etc. were immediately  accessible om the Mac. Then by attaching both the PC & the Mac to a router I was able to xfer all of the other files over to the Mac. I'm using Aperture 3 now so I can't speak to your other software but I've seen mention around here that people have been able to get the Mac version of PS by showing proof of ownership of a PC version. As others have mentioned, there are apps that will let you run WINDOWS on a separate partition on your Mac hard drive. A quick google search will get you the info on these. Must say I'm really enjoying the Mac (27" i7) and I've also gone over to Canon for my printing (iPF6300), got tired of nozzle clogs, head cleaning, and endless ink and maint. cart consumption on my 4000.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

ron ritcher

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:59:17 pm »

Thanks Bill and Kevin!

Yes, I know I can run Windows on a Mac, but I'd rather not have to.  And Kevin, just to demonstrate my TOTAL lack of computer finesse, I must ask what a router is, or at least, how do I go about getting/using one?  VERY good to know that my files might be recognized as-is by the Mac, and that you are enjoying the move over to Apple.  Thanks again . . .

--Ron

dralph

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:51 pm »

I am in the same boat, or less.  My PC is getting old in the tooth, even after adding maximum RAM to the motherboard and putting in huge harddrives.  Biggest irritation is that my trusty CRT monitor is no longer trusty.  It just is not showing enough dynamic range to adequately edit and post process images anymore.

I have little patience for trying to find out which monitors out in the world would be the best to attach to another PC.  So, I was thinking of going MAC mainly because it seems that their monitor screens are a least very good, if not the best.

Can someone advise which screens on Mac machines can handle editing from raw in PS, etc., and how much horsepower is really needed in a Mac to run PS well.  Can this be accomplished on a higher end laptop or even an iMac, or must one go the really expensive route of getting a Mac desktop and separate monitor.

If folks have suggestions for excellent monitor for continuing with a newer PC, I would be interested in that feedback too.

While my PC is slower than I want, the real irritant right now is a tired CRT screen that will not do the job visually, even when calibrated.

Thanks.
Dave Ralph

degrub

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »

Ron,

Since you are apparently connected to the internet and assuming it is not dial-up, you may have a router between your PC and the modem (connects directly to phone line (DSL) or cable tv cable) or possibly a router built into the modem (look for 2-4 ports). If so, look to see if there is an open port - it will look like a a place where you plug the phone in , only a little larger.  Next get an ethernet cable (cat 5 or 5e) and plug into the same type port on the iMac and in the router. It will probably work after that. you will have to turn on  file sharing in the windows computer and possibly a few other things. Google how to transfer files from a PC to a Mac across ethernet.

One other simple method, is to get a large usb memory stick ( or a usb portable drive)  and just copy files from the PC to it. The Mac will read the usb stick or drive without problem.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

I have little patience for trying to find out which monitors out in the world would be the best to attach to another PC.  So, I was thinking of going MAC mainly because it seems that their monitor screens are a least very good, if not the best.
if you like gazing at a reflection of yourself maybe. Mac monitors are if I recall correctly usually years NEC screens.
I simply bought myself a couple of NEC monitors and saved myself money compared to the ageing Apple Cinema Display. Not to mention they have no vertical adjustment which is essential to get screen the correct height.

If folks have suggestions for excellent monitor for continuing with a newer PC, I would be interested in that feedback too.
While my PC is slower than I want, the real irritant right now is a tired CRT screen that will not do the job visually, even when calibrated.
If you can afford it get an Eizo, otherwise get an NEC.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dralph

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 06:17:22 pm »

My thanks to both of you for replying.

I am beginning to lean toward a NEC monitor, paired with a new generic PC with 64 bit architecture, Intel quad 4 chip of yet undetermined ability, and some excess RAM over the nominal 4 Gigs that most systems seem to come with.

On NECs, there are a few models left with a 4 x 3 aspect ratio as opposed to the newer, skinnier, 16x9 ratio screens.

Is there any reason to favor the wider aspect ratio screens?  Seems like one would need an even large screen, measured on the diagonal, to see the same size image as on the older style.

Tks.

Dave Ralph

Seth Honeyman

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:59 am »

To answer your original question, the great virtue of Macs is their utter simplicity.  Very little system config is required.  Further, Apple's excellent support staff will walk you through whatever problems you have.  Adobe will transfer you to a Mac version of Photoshop if you are the registered owner.  Finally, iMacs are all in one units.  They have an integral and very good screen(if you don't mind glossy).   

marliz

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »

I switched from Windows to a Mac Pro. The so called "genuises" at the genius bar messed my computer up so badly I've been struggling for weeks to try and get it back to where it was for the first couple of years. Now I'm giving in and totally wiping my boot drive and reinstalling everything from scratch. Then I'll clone again. (It was my perfectly good clone they messed up, handing my system back with the drive pulled that held my original OS; All files from that drive piled onto another drive I use as backup so I spent several days trying to sort out and get rid of dups. Still can't figure why they did an archive and reinstall on my good system, which is what messed it up royally.

I loved my Mac until it started to go south. The OP would likely enjoy one, especially free. My point is that not all Apple tech people know what they are doing. Like almost all things today, quality is deteriorating.

kath60

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:08:53 am »

Leopard will read your windows format but you can't save to it so you will need to reformat it to be able to save.  It's easy just takes a bit of time.  Drag the PC files from the external hard drive (windows format) onto your Mac desktop.  Once all the files are safely on the desktop, reboot the hard drive to Mac and then simply drag them back onto the external hard drive. 

ron ritcher

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »

THANKS for the help!  Actually, I noticed that the Mac read my drive just fine, so I pretty-much did what you suggested, but here's what I STILL can't quite figure out:  HOW do I go about re-formatting the external drive into the Apple OS? 

Again, I appreciate the helpful response...

--Ron

francois

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »

THANKS for the help!  Actually, I noticed that the Mac read my drive just fine, so I pretty-much did what you suggested, but here's what I STILL can't quite figure out:  HOW do I go about re-formatting the external drive into the Apple OS? 

Again, I appreciate the helpful response...

--Ron
Ron,
You can reformat a drive with Disk Utility (/Applications/utilities/).
Francois

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

I bought an application from Laplink Software called "Switch and Sync which has been designed especially for easily transferring files from PC to Mac, using a specially configured USB cable which they supply and their software. I have not implemented this yet, so I can't vouch for its effectivess, but reading the documentation that comes with it, it seems like a practical solution. Avoids the need for any other hardware except the two computers and the Laplink cable. I'd appreciate hearing if others have had experience testing this software.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

John S C

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »

Switched from PC to Mac 18 months ago, and it was a really painless process.

Like you I had images stored on external drives. The drives being PC were formatted NTFS so although the Mac would read them it wouldn't write to them. So rather than get another drive, format it for Mac and copy across ( could have taken a day or more, I got a copy of NTFS for Mac. Load this and your Mac can read and write to the NTFS formatted disk.  It's not expensive, here in the UK its £25.00 either from Paragon the vendors or from the Apple store. You can get a 10-15 day trial ( can't remember which ) from Paragon. If you are happy with it just purchase a serial no from Paragon

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »

Just for thread posterity and future reference, you CAN read/write Mac <=> PC across a network. For most folks, this is a really easy way to transition large blocks of data between the two systems.  Obviously GigLAN is best ;)
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 11:36:42 am »

There are several ways to enable NTFS read/write on OS X. Some are considerably more geeky than others, but there's no reason to pay for it. Googling "mac ntfs" will turn them up.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

tived

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 10:16:07 pm »

there is even software out there that let you connect a Mac disk to a PC, so you can read the Mac disks on the PC and the other way around

The more things change the more they stay the same!!! Appledoze

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up