Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial archaeology  (Read 2235 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Industrial archaeology
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:58:54 am »

If like me, you have an interest in industrial archaeology, these might pique that interest. Cornwall has a long history of tin mining (along with silver, lead & gold), stretching back to prehistoric times. Tin from Cornish mines has turned up in Phoenician wrecks, indicating a trade with Mediterranean civilisations & a history of mining going back thousands of years. More recent relics of this are the engine houses that dot the landscape. Now ruins, they add interest to a landscape, or qualify as photographic subjects in themselves.

I've posted these images to begin what I'd like to see turn into a thread on industrial archaeology photography. So if you're interested, post away.

This engine house is the Greenburrow engine house, which served the Ding Dong mineral mine. The surrounding heath has evidence of prehistoric mining. Location is just off the Morvah - Madron road, west of Penzance, grid reference: SW434 344

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Industrial archaeology
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »

Bill,

I particularly like the second but the perspective bothered me. Have you tried correcting it?

I took the liberty of fiddling with it myself using LR3 (no offence intended, of course); here is my effort, which (to my eye) looks a bit more natural. The enforced crop is rather brutal, though, but you no doubt would have a better, bigger image to work with.

Jeremy

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

Thanks for that. I don't have anything to allow for perspective correction - no doubt there is an Aperture plug-in out there somewhere. I had use of a view camera some years ago - oh for a digital view camera now. I'll have to save my money & get a PC lens.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:16 am »

Bill

I appreciate your effort in starting a new thread - anything that directs the mind into a tighter focus in these matters is usually a good thing. However, to do what you set out to do does require that you have the equipment to do it well. Intent is not enough.

I face exctly the same situation myself, in that I have contacts with some property builders and estate agents etc. but lack the belief that their interest goes beyond the polite and will finance my buying into PCE lenses in quantity enough to do the job. I would hate to buy into several thousand pounds worth of stuff that then sits in the cabinet, along with all the other expensive bits of half-thought-out fantasies.

Were I starting off from a different (very) time base from where I am now, it would be another story, but reality does tend to cut through the wishful thinking now and again. Thank goodness. But you may be in the first flush of youth - I've no idea! If so, go for it tomorrow when the shops open.

Rob C

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:55 am »

The 'saving for a PC lens' was a little tongue-in-cheek; have you seen how much they cost?
Pages: [1]   Go Up