Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf 8300 dimensions without stand  (Read 9492 times)

Hiroshi S.

Canon ipf 8300 dimensions without stand
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:30:35 am »

I am in the market for a new printer and I am seriously considering the latest Canon 8300 printer but I am a little concerned about the size of the beast. My relatively small studio is accessible through a narrow door (29 inch wide) only. What are the minimal dimensions of the printer (without stand etc) and would it fit through my door? I would hate to have the printer delivered just to realize that I can only print in my drive way. Thanks.

Gemmtech

Re: Canon ipf 8300 dimensions without stand
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:54 am »

The stand has to be at least 25" tall which would mean the printer isn't any taller than 20" which should fit through any doorway.  316 pounds with stand; two guys could carry it.  I've already cleared the space in my office for this beast, which is over 6' wide!

jgbowerman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:08:12 pm »

I am in the market for a new printer and I am seriously considering the latest Canon 8300 printer but I am a little concerned about the size of the beast. My relatively small studio is accessible through a narrow door (29 inch wide) only. What are the minimal dimensions of the printer (without stand etc) and would it fit through my door? I would hate to have the printer delivered just to realize that I can only print in my drive way. Thanks.

Yes, it should fit through the door (27.25" x 20" x 75"). To do so, if coming from a hallway, it will likely need to be tipped onto its end. Removing the studio-room door from its hinges will likely be necessary. Be sure to read the instructions on transporting, which includes a diagram, on a separate sheet of paper, depicting how to properly tip in onto one end. I would also recommend a minimum of four strong backs to move it into place.

I could not fit the 8300 into my modest studio, and had to instead put it in my daughters bedroom! It is a space hog, but very well worth the effort.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:23:33 pm »

I could not fit the 8300 into my modest studio, and had to instead put it in my daughters bedroom! It is a space hog, but very well worth the effort.
Your view or your daughter's?

Jeremy

jgbowerman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:41 pm »

Your view or your daughter's?

Jeremy

You probably don't really want to read my daughter's opinion, but it started something like "Why not some other ROOM!"

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 06:26:41 pm »

You probably don't really want to read my daughter's opinion, but it started something like "Why not some other ROOM!"

I don't think I need to: I have daughters as well!

Jeremy

Scott Shelerud

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:22 pm »

Just brought mine through a 27" door.  Yes, you need to stand it on end.  It helps to cut a piece of the cardboard from the shipping carton (nice, thick stuff BTW) and use it to slide the printer in.  I wrapped a wide strap around the bottom of the printer and the piece of cardboard and we slid it into the office with no problem - one person pulling on the strap and 2 people steadying the printer.

There is an inset on the bottom left of the printer as you look at it from the front.  The main mounting plate on the bottom is set in from the left side of the printer.  I cut a length of 2x4 and used a ratcheting strap to hold it into this inset so as to create a better fulcrum for lifting the printer onto its end.  The edge of the 2x4 when placed in the inset extended just past the left side of the printer casing.  The weight of the printer was thus supported through the 2x4 to the mounting plate as the printer was rotated up to vertical.  This might have been unnecessary, but it made me feel a lot better.

The manual shows 6 people to lift the printer, but they're all about 2/3rds the height of the printer on end,  i.e. subcompact models.  The printer itself weighs ~255 lbs.  four reasonably fit, American sized adults can easily manipulate it.  3 friends and I placed it on an appliance dolly, brought it up 1 flight of stairs with a 180 degree turn-around landing, then down a hallway with a 90 degree turn.  From there we tipped it up on edge and slid it into the office above my garage.  Took about 15 minutes from first grunt to last.  Any additional help would only have been in the way.  Naturally, the stand was already assembled and awaiting the printer.

Note that the distance between the two mounting plates on the printer will likely be longer than a normal appliance dolly is tall.  You will need to figure out some kind of extension to increase the height of the load bearing surface of the dolly.  Again, the thick cardboard from the shipping case is very structurally sound.  We quickly cobbled together an extension out of some MDF and cardboard.  It didn't need to be all that strong; most of the weight was born by the 2x4 strapped to the lower left of the printer.  The manual is quite specific about not lifting the printer by the middle, i.e. between the 2 mounting plates.  I would avoid stressing this area at all.

The manuals and setup instructions are available on-line.  Many of the dimensions are quoted therein.  Well worth your while to look through these ahead of time if you have not already done so.  Good Luck!
Scott Shelerud

Knife Island Images

www.KnifeIsland.com

Hiroshi S.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:31:28 pm »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! I guess I need to rob my piggy bank and order the beast...

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:09 am »

Can these big behemoth printers do small prints....like 8"x10"s?  If they can do "small", is the detail in the print as detailed as a smaller printer would create?
2.) Is it possible to liken our interests in printers such as the IPF 8300 to the "firesale frenzy" a few years ago, when the bottom fell out of the Recreational Vehicle market, and really bitchen diesel pusher monsters were being deeply discounted....because of the deepening Recession and Gloom on Wall St and main St?  Similarly, a previous poster mentioned that the cost of ink is not dropping, despite technological advances....just like gasoline prices and R.V. usage.
In other words, our interest in big printing may not be supported by normal customers feeling a pinch in their Photo Budgets.(being out of work for 18 months)....and may be manufacturers are unloading these big, thirsty behemoths onto us Guyz....cuz they know the market for big prints is going really flat??  (In my town, a surf photographer busts butt to sell 8x10's for $20. and 13x 19's for $40.....and we deliver!)
 In a "pinch" would an IPF 8300 be able to crank out 8.5x11's....if that was all the "market" would bear....with the nice detail a much smaller pigment printer could create?
btw... I really wanna go "Big" prints....I just have to justify it to my Sicillian Wife.
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

jgbowerman

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:40 am »

The 8300 will take 8x10, but borderless printing on cut sheets is disabled. The smallest cut sheet I print is 8.5x11, and I find the largest 3:2 document dimension on 8.5x11 to be a tad over 9 inches when using the Canon print plugin.

As for detail, the 8300 and 6300 will exceed smaller printers because of the larger gamut with 12 ink cartridges. The 6300 utilizes a top feeder for cut sheets as where the 8300 must be front fed, both one sheet at a time. As to borderless printing defaults on the 6300, others will need to chime in, but much of this information can be readily had at Canon's website. I have read previous posters alluding to problems with certain brands of paper (Epson Exhibition Fibre) showing scratches when fed as cut sheets into the 8300. My overall opinion of the 8300 (I used the 6100 before the 8300) regarding media rolls verses cut sheets is that rolls are more user friendly, and this is why those not content to use primarily rolled paper may choose to have a second smaller printer for cut sheets, or choose the ironically more expensive 6300 instead (I understand media scratches not to be a problem with cut sheets on the 6300).

Unlike recreational vehicles, larger printers are not, should we say, ink hogs. They do not consume more ink than smaller printers, but they will require more ink when they are initially primed at first startup. Larger printers do require larger cartridges and in the long run, this will save money as the cost of the ink decreases with larger ink cartridges. The 8300 will display milliliters of total ink and individual inks consumed for any given print job. I have found a 20x30 print takes around 4.5 ml total ink volume. I don't have numbers on other printers, but the consensus is the x300 and x100 Canon printers waste the least ink of all makers.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:52:41 am »

The 6300 may have an advantage for cut-sheets, since it can do 3mm margins on most gloss/semi-gloss papers (and a few matte papers). While it's not true borderless, it's better than the 1" bottom margins you otherwise have. Watch out though, if cut sheets have any curl at all to them you'll get head strikes, and 3mm margins exacerbate that problem. These printers are definitely at their best with rolls.

So the 6300 may be a little better than the 8300 and smaller sheets, but it's still going to be less convenient than desktop printers in the 13" range (or the Epson 3880).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Pacific Photos

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:21:25 pm »

Yeah Jeff and Greg, thanks for setting me straight on R.V.'s and large format  printers...ink usage and using big printers for small prints...both you guyz seem to know yer stuff!!
  my day job is not photography but vehicle technician, bus technician.....I am very concerned about owning something expensive like a Large Format Printer and not being able to service it.  I fix all our appliances here as well as my Families Fleet of cars.....would regular "Joes" and "Janes" like us guyz be able to repair "The Beast",  in house, (our own large format printers????)
    Like if the gearbox strips, could we order parts and do it up right?  For instance I am reading about these guyz with their Z3100 drive belt problems?  How bout changing out one of those bars that the heads go back and forth on?....circuit boards and such??  Do these big, behemoth's have zerks fittings and oil resevoirs to top up?  I'm kinda scared about owning something that I could not repair.   Are you guyz doin' yer own stuff?  Does Canon and Epson and HP have parts ordering websites??  Like cars and busses, honda generators?  It would be neat to hear that, indeed, all the parts are readily available to handy dudes and dudettes!!   Steer me straight.??   I need to justify this to my Sicillian Wife.
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

prosser53

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

I just got my 8300 this past weekend. It's big. But we managed to get it through the door had to stand it on end, rotate, to get up to the first stairs landing, rotate it on end again and then up the next flight of stairs and around a 90 degree corner. It was tight but doable. Took 4 of us to manhandle it, not the 6 the manual suggested. Like was already mentioned, 6 would be overkill and get in the way.

Good Luck! ;D

Pacific Photos

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »

Yeah Prosser, I was wondering some of the mental movements you went thru to arrive at the Canon IPF 8300....you obviously had to wrestle the beast up a flight of stairs and do a landing plus take off doors of your house....but what I was wondering was the mental gymnastics and costs of things that helped you get over the "hump" and take the plunge.....
   seems like there are some super weird "economics" goin on right now, with these huge rebates and pricing of the Canon IPF models...with some kind of "voodoo" causing normally sane men and women to "notch up" their printer dreams to include beasts that print four friggen feet wide???  Whats up with this...?? Folks are gonna have to redo the foundations of their houses to install the Canon IPF 8300's.  Who's gonna buy these prints? Kids will go without shoes so we can keep these 12 individual 310mil tanks filled!  Have we been "hoodoo'ed by our quest for ever larger, more detailed prints?  I am selling a motorcycle and an heirloom 1968 martin D 35 guitar *from my 1st wife*...(my 2nd wife, The Sicilian one, is really glad to see both of these things "go")....to buy this big "Critter", the fabulous Canon IPF 8300.

jgbowerman

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »

Yeah Prosser, I was wondering some of the mental movements you went thru to arrive at the Canon IPF 8300....you obviously had to wrestle the beast up a flight of stairs and do a landing plus take off doors of your house....but what I was wondering was the mental gymnastics and costs of things that helped you get over the "hump" and take the plunge.....
   seems like there are some super weird "economics" goin on right now, with these huge rebates and pricing of the Canon IPF models...with some kind of "voodoo" causing normally sane men and women to "notch up" their printer dreams to include beasts that print four friggen feet wide???  Whats up with this...?? Folks are gonna have to redo the foundations of their houses to install the Canon IPF 8300's.  Who's gonna buy these prints? Kids will go without shoes so we can keep these 12 individual 310mil tanks filled!  Have we been "hoodoo'ed by our quest for ever larger, more detailed prints?  I am selling a motorcycle and an heirloom 1968 martin D 35 guitar *from my 1st wife*...(my 2nd wife, The Sicilian one, is really glad to see both of these things "go")....to buy this big "Critter", the fabulous Canon IPF 8300.

That is pure hilarity!!! We have a truly talented comedian among us.

Sorry, I can't help myself, but kids without shoes, redo foundations! You're killing me... we are living the American culture we have become. Oh my
Pages: [1]   Go Up