Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800/3880 & Fine Art Rag Type Papers  (Read 5708 times)

alan9940

Epson 3800/3880 & Fine Art Rag Type Papers
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:48:06 pm »

Hello All,

For rag papers like Epson Ultrasmooth or the new Epson Hot Press Bright what output resolution do you typically choose--1440x720 or 2880x1440? I generally use the highest printer resolution available for gloss/baryta style papers, but will throttle back to 1440 for matte style papers. Just curious what others are doing...

Thanks for any insight provided.

Regards,
AlanH

Sven W

Re: Epson 3800/3880 & Fine Art Rag Type Papers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:28:34 am »

Why don't you just test it?
In my opinion, it's overkill to print matte papers with 2880, due to (still) slight wicking of the printed dot, compared to more glossy surfaces. Maybe you can see the difference between 1440 and 2880 with a loupe, but not with the naked eye.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:48:51 am »

I've just finished printing some folios on Epson's HPN at 1440, pleased with the results.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

I tested all four papers a couple of months ago.  I noticed that Epson offer two separate profiles, one for 1440 and one for 2880.  According to the spec sheet the 2880 setting offers a little better black point and a wider color gamut in return for a slower printing speed.  I would echo Sven's point, you really should do a standard print test with both settings and see if there is a visual difference.

Alan

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:43 pm »

PLEASE NOTE: I'm the Marketing Manager for Professional Imaging at Epson America

I have some recent experience with this subject and thought it might be of interest.  With Cotton Fiber Fine-Art Type Papers (there are no rags but that's a different topic) the general wisdom in the past, was that due to dot gain, there would be little to no benefit using 2880dpi over 1440dpi.  With older printers, 2880 often was not even available.  As print head technology and screening algorithms have improved, I have seen meaningful print quality improvement, on some (not all) images when printing on smooth cotton fiber papers like Ultrasmooth or Hot Press Bright. But with textured surfaces like Velvet Fine Art or Cold Press Bright I have not seen any benefit in using 2880. 

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 06:00:12 pm »

Dano,
Welcome to Luminous Landscape.  I hope that we'll see more posts where you can help out with info and experiences regarding your products.
And thank you for starting your post by identifying yourself.
Brad Smith

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:35 pm »

Thank you for the welcome!

Friends in the forum have been encouraging me to participate.

I'll jump in when I can bring some insight/value that's beneficial for everyone.

Dano
(The Epson Guy)

CynthiaM

• http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:55:15 am »

As print head technology and screening algorithms have improved, I have seen meaningful print quality improvement, on some (not all) images when printing on smooth cotton fiber papers like Ultrasmooth or Hot Press Bright. But with textured surfaces like Velvet Fine Art or Cold Press Bright I have not seen any benefit in using 2880. 

In what types of images where you have seen an improvement in quality?  Highly detailed images?
Cynthia Merzer
[url=http://www.cynthiame

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

With the latest generation printers, I've seen meaningful benefits on several (not all) high frequency as well as low frequency scenes when using 2880dpi.

This is only true with smooth surface papers and properly sharpened files.  Viewing distance is also a factor.

The disadvantage of using 2880dpi is a slower print time compared to 1440dpi but contrary to what some may think, little to no additional ink is used at 2880dpi vs 1440dpi.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Epson America, Inc.

CynthiaM

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »

but contrary to what some may think, little to no additional ink is used at 2880dpi vs 1440dpi.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Epson America, Inc.

The little to no additional ink at 2880dpi vs 1440, does this hold with other papers?  What about the gloss papers - papers that use photo black ink?
Cynthia Merzer

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:33:03 pm »

With the latest generation Epson Stylus Pro printers, there is little to no difference in the amount of ink used between 1440dpi and 2880dpi.

This is the case with both cotton fiber matte type papers and microporous glossy type papers.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Epson America, Inc.

CynthiaM

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

With the latest generation Epson Stylus Pro printers, there is little to no difference in the amount of ink used between 1440dpi and 2880dpi.

This is the case with both cotton fiber matte type papers and microporous glossy type papers.

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Epson America, Inc.

Thank you.  Appreciate both the response and the participation.  No need to respond.
Cynthia Merzer

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:51 am »

Coming to this late, but if there is little to no difference in the amount of ink used between 1440dpi and 2880dpi then why not just use 2880dpi (other than print speed)?
jeff singer | photography
[url=http://je

Dano Steinhardt

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:44 pm »

For those in higher production environments, print speed can be very important to meet deadlines. 

Something to keep in mind:

With either 1440dpi or 2880dpi, with the latest generation Stylus Pro printers, make sure High Speed is checked for bi-directional printing (faster).

In the past, the recommendation for the highest quality was to uncheck High Speed for uni-directional printing (slower), but with today's technology there is negligible difference in quality between bi-directional and uni-directional printing.

I've only seen the benefits of uni-directional printing, with the latest generation Stylus Pro printers, on specialty medias that have longer dry times, or when data being sent to the printer is from an older computer/network that is slower than the printer can output.  Data sent that is slower than the printer causes the printhead to pause and that will degrade output quality.

Dano
(The Epson Guy)

Sven W

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:08 am »

For those in higher production environments, print speed can be very important to meet deadlines. 

With either 1440dpi or 2880dpi, with the latest generation Stylus Pro printers, make sure High Speed is checked for bi-directional printing (faster).

Dano
(The Epson Guy)

I echo the first statement, but mostly for LF printing. If it takes 30-40 min for a large print at 2880, it's almost half the time
at 1440. And think about the increased viewing distance.
Second, remember Schewes advice to perform a head alignment before going for High Speed (Bi- directional).

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1]   Go Up