Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4880...anybody see a reason not to invest in one?  (Read 2803 times)

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
Epson 4880...anybody see a reason not to invest in one?
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »

Yeah, just had enuff problems with my Hp B9180....what a great printer (when it's working!)  trying to go up a little in size of print and in larger ink carts and was "jonesing" on a larger format with roll paper Epson 4880.   Can you guyz jump in and steer me right?
  I run a surf sports photography business on the side here in Santa Cruz Ca.
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

Randy Carone

Re: Epson 4880...anybody see a reason not to invest in one?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »

The 4880 is a great deal right now with the $500 Mail-In-Rebate. Net cost to you should be around $1250 with a set of 110ml inks.
Randy Carone

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

Can you guyz jump in and steer me right?

About a month left for the Photokina to open plus some rumors on new Epson models. The available Canon iPF5100 at least has all what the 4880 has + both PK and MK ready without an expensive switch between gloss and matt printing. Pricing in the same category.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

T_om

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »

You can get a Canon 6100 from IT Supplies right now for $1399.00.  THAT is a good deal.

I had a 17" printer and regretted getting it the day it arrived.  The output was great, but I should have gone for the 24" model from the start.  24" turned out to be the sweet spot for us.

Tom

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »

There are rumors of a 4900 (MK and PK onboard) being announced soon.  But the 4880 is a great deal at current pricing and it's not like it will quit working when the 4900 comes out.  I'm still perfectly happy with my 4800.

Nill

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:03:46 pm »

FWIW, I had the Epson 4000 for quite a while and got tired of the endless clogs, wasting ink, and ditching $50.00 "maint. carts" that were full of ink from failed nozzle checks and endless "head cleanings". Got a Canon iPF 6300 and have enjoyed it from day one, the 24" prints will be more useful than you think!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Sven W

Stockholm, Sweden

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:19 pm »

You dudes have given me so much more to think about now that you "jumped in and steered me right".  Randy showed me that "now" is a good time, cuz of $500. rebate on the 4880, Ernst had me thinking about Photokina and maybe a bitchen new Canon ipf 5100, T_om got me thinkin' "larger" and I drooled at the website he directed me to...the big canon that prints 2 feet wide! Nill got me to thinking that "yeah, maybe the 4880 will be the one after all. Kevin Gallagher got me scared of investing in Epson and got me to dream bigger and "Canon"...Sven suggested this bitchen  British "Northlight" web site, where these Brits do some incredible reviews on the more popular large format printers......these Brits really get down to the brass tacks of the software shipped and screen views of various paper combos etc etc.... they also talk about the "colours" and some sweet little "varios" on English.... many thanks dudes..keep the info coming, cuz I check out every shred of advice....(it's actually more fun to dream and read about investing in a new, big printer, than to  actually make the "jump" to buying)  my Sicilian Wife likes me to keep on dreaming!!!
  I did notice that the Epsons ship with full ink carts, "whilst" (the Brits at "NorthLight") the Canons IPF's ship with "starter carts"...not full carts?   You Bro's (and Sistah's) can see that I am a "newbie" and I enjoy immensely this status....I am here at "L.L." to learn!!
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

cbfount

• SalsaFoto
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:38 am »

Marty, (oops, had wrong name for you)

If I found the right website, you've got some great surf shots and many other excellent images!  8)
I couldn't see in your signature-what equipment are you shooting with?
Just read a couple of your other posts, but I'm almost done here now...

The first thing you need to figure out is WHAT you're purchasing the printer for--whichever printer you decide on:

If it is for your "event" business, and please don't take this the wrong way, skip the printer and farm the work out. Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt!  Figure out what size prints/posters, etc your clients will actually purchase--and whether the price they are willing to pay is sustainable with you doing the printing. Don't forget to count your time, do-overs, etc. Compare that to what it will cost to have the print made for you (at the quality you need, which may be lower than the quality you could produce if you hand made each print at home), how you will take orders and deliver the print--or if you want the printing company to do that for you, under your name, of course. The more shots you take, the more sense it makes to have somebody do that part of the work--so you can take more shots, take orders, and get some sleep every now and then...

If is for yourself--to work on  your craft, make prints to display and share, then go for it! There are some great prices now and lots to learn. I can tell you now--whichever printer you purchase, you'll soon be wishing you had purchased the next size up. It is great for experimenting, creating your own displays and portfolio, etc. Also, you'll print stuff out that you would never think to send out to a printer--and it may help you change direction or discover something you might have glossed over.

My story (short version): I purchased a second hand Epson 7600, 24" (a number of years ago) and several dye sub 8x10 printers. Planned to sell a bunch of 16x20 and 24x36 prints and collages. Ended up selling tons of 5x7, 8x10, 12x18 prints and a much smaller number of the big stuff. Ultimately ended up sending 99% of the work out to print. With the volume it just made more sense--and was less expensive. Now, I did produce all of my own display materials (ended up purchasing a commercial laminator, high end textured lamination film, adhesive, and a ton of gator board) and could quickly make custom displays for events and clients that I probably wouldn't have sent out to a printer...turned our rec room into my personal gallery, and did countless personal projects...

Would love to hear updates on what you end up doing and how it works out!

Regards,
Carl
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:33:51 pm by cbfount »
Canon 1 Digital and a small bag of sharp glass...

(Originally joined LL in 2003--account reset in 2009...)

KevinWilliams

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Check this out http://www.macroenter.com/Set_of_12_101_Cartridges_for_Canon_5100_p/cc-pfi5100-s12.htm
Full set of inks for less than half that.

You can get a Canon 6100 from IT Supplies right now for $1399.00.  THAT is a good deal.

I had a 17" printer and regretted getting it the day it arrived.  The output was great, but I should have gone for the 24" model from the start.  24" turned out to be the sweet spot for us.

Tom

cbfount

• SalsaFoto
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

Marty, picking up from your PM...I know the feeling. When you want a big printer you want one. I just wanted to make sure that was the case and that you were getting it for the right reasons. I did the darkroom thing all through HS and College, too. Couldn't wait to start printing digital and have all the control. Purchased an Epson 1200 which satisfied me for a few years and then jumped to the 7600. If I were to buy one again it would be at least a 48" model--but my printing needs have gone way down, so that won't be anytime soon...

Lots of good folks on the LL board I'm sure they can get you the info you need.
Canon 1 Digital and a small bag of sharp glass...

(Originally joined LL in 2003--account reset in 2009...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up