Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing Screen for 5DII for manual lenses  (Read 1843 times)

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
Focusing Screen for 5DII for manual lenses
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:59:52 am »

Anyone have experience or recommendations with aftermarket screens that they use with the 5DII?  I'd like to use a microprism when I'm not tethered for the manual focus lenses to make it a bit easier.  TIA.

Ed Blagden

Re: Focusing Screen for 5DII for manual lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

Why not try the Canon Eg-S microprism screen rather than an aftermarket version?  I use the Ee-S on my original 5D (the Eg-S is the same thing, but for the 5D2) and it makes a huge difference both to manual focusing and also seeing depth of field.  It is best used with fast lenses though - anything slower than 2.8 makes the viewfinder image a bit dim.  This may not bother you though.

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »

Why not try the Canon Eg-S microprism screen rather than an aftermarket version?  I use the Ee-S on my original 5D (the Eg-S is the same thing, but for the 5D2) and it makes a huge difference both to manual focusing and also seeing depth of field.  It is best used with fast lenses though - anything slower than 2.8 makes the viewfinder image a bit dim.  This may not bother you though.

I've been thinking of the Eg-S in conjunction with a Seagul 1x-2.5x right angle finder to aid manual focusing. Any reason this wouldn't work that you know of?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »

The best I've used is from  Maxwell Precision Optics      (404) 244-0095   Bill Maxwell
buy a stock screen from B&H have it sent to Bill
He will  then apply his coating and I have him engrave a rule of thirds grid (my preference) 
the coating changes based on your lenses max f stop so think about whether most are 2.8's or 4.0's before the call.
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up