Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch Size?  (Read 5234 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Scratch Size?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 05:32:34 am »

When you get your OS on a SSD, I can't stress enough to have your OS imaged to a spare drive.  Once a SSD loses data, it is a done deal. there is no rebuild recovery, nada, zip. you will painfully install each and every app, and all that go with them over.  So image your OS drive. 

I had bad luck (or just crap drives) with some Patriot Torqx SSD's and I learned quick to have a spare drive imaged and ready in case it fails during work where I need the system up.

RAID 0 for scratch using SSD is what I have now, and I don't think it makes any faster than single.

I would switch out those slow Drobo's with a Intel SS4200e server. I am getting roughly 70-80mb/s transfer time on large files. I have 4 1TB caviar blacks, in 3 of these, and they are sweet!  the processor and ram can be upgraded and they power down when not in use, keep drives cool.

I would swap out any drive that is over 4... let alone 5 years old...Its not a matter of "IF they fail"...just when. Heat is the #1 killer or life reducer for drives.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: Scratch Size?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

As far as I know WD warns to use it on newer drives because it can damge them.

I'm not aware of any such warning - we use this to check/set firmware status on all drives we install.  This is *not* a firmware update/upgrade - it is merely setting a flag in the existing firmware.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up