Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My crumbling country  (Read 2341 times)

Riaan van Wyk

My crumbling country
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »

My country is slowly coming to a standstill. Everybody seems to be on strike for more money. Everybody except the armed forces, though I am quite sure that they would too if they were not classified as "essential services" who by law are not allowed to.

State hospitals are turning dying patients away. Yes, you read right, state hospitals are turning dying patients away. Schools have been closed for almost a week. If that is not bad enough, those nurses and teachers who still feel a sense of responsibility towards their noble profession, are physically removed from their places of work by armed and millitant union members. And school children who happens to be in the same class are also removed and beaten by these mobs. All this because of a 1.7% wage dispute.

Having a six and ten year old child in school is keeping me awake at night. More so the fact that they live two and a half hours drive from me. How do I explain the reasoning to my children of why this is happening, if it so happens that they are be exposed to this madness? It will be unbearable for me to look into their young vibrant eyes, eager to experience the waiting world and it's beauty, dulled by the inane actions of a society bent on destroying itself. 

Rob C

Re: My crumbling country
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »

My country is slowly coming to a standstill. Everybody seems to be on strike for more money. Everybody except the armed forces, though I am quite sure that they would too if they were not classified as "essential services" who by law are not allowed to.

State hospitals are turning dying patients away. Yes, you read right, state hospitals are turning dying patients away. Schools have been closed for almost a week. If that is not bad enough, those nurses and teachers who still feel a sense of responsibility towards their noble profession, are physically removed from their places of work by armed and millitant union members. And school children who happens to be in the same class are also removed and beaten by these mobs. All this because of a 1.7% wage dispute.

Having a six and ten year old child in school is keeping me awake at night. More so the fact that they live two and a half hours drive from me. How do I explain the reasoning to my children of why this is happening, if it so happens that they are be exposed to this madness? It will be unbearable for me to look into their young vibrant eyes, eager to experience the waiting world and it's beauty, dulled by the inane actions of a society bent on destroying itself. 

Which particular country is that, or would you prefer not to say in public?

On the other hand, using this new system on LuLa, I can't even see what I'm typing to you. It appears to work okay when it is a single post, but falls on its ass when one tries to quote and then type. But, the West can get a man on the Moon (perhaps), but not run good software; alternatively, its the price of fixing what ain't broke. Happens a lot.

Rob C (The unseeing typist)

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »

By looking at your profile, it looks lilke you're talking about South Africa.  For a minute, I thought you were talking about the United States (no, that's not a joke).  We're on that path, although we're not there yet.  I ask the same questions you do.  How do we tell the next generation that we're sorry we screwed up the world so much?

I think one word can sum up perhaps the main reason for many of the problems arising: unions.  In another era, they served to protect a worker's basic human rights.  They've evolved into a monster that undermines every industry and every economy.  If you ask me, they outlived their purpose about forty years ago.

My sympathies og out to you my friend...

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:49:10 pm »

I think one word can sum up perhaps the main reason for many of the problems arising: unions.  In another era, they served to protect a worker's basic human rights.  They've evolved into a monster that undermines every industry and every economy.  If you ask me, they outlived their purpose about forty years ago.

I have no strong feelings about unions one way or the other. Some have gone wildly off the mark, but no more so than some employers. But the influence of unions has been steadily declining for a while, every year they represent fewer and fewer workers, at least stats show that they are in Canada, and I don't believe we're so different than the rest of the world. But after the near criminal behaviour of our financial institutions, where bankers and insurance men, once the most staid and conservative people on earth, went nuts with our money all over the world, laying the blame for the current economic climate on unions seems like an overreach. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that economies were flourishing at a time when union power was at a high point.
--
Robert

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:21 am »

This latest downturn in South Africa is not about unions, or workers rights. It is about a power struggle taking place within the government. The present Zuma regime came in to power on the backs of the unions, and now it is payback time. The SA Communist Party is testing its strength here.

Europe and the West promoted, supported and funded the ANC, and spun the line to all that they, and their leader Nelson Mandela, could walk on water and were saviours of Africa. The reality was, and still is, that the ANC is little more than a criminal organisation disguised as a political party. Since coming to power they have been systematically looting the state coffers whilst ensuring that the average citizen has their hands full with rising crime, rising unemployment, rising cost of living, against a declining infrastructure, healthcare and economy. It is scary days here in South Africa. We are on the brink . . .
Regards, HILTON

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »

This latest downturn in South Africa is not about unions, or workers rights. It is about a power struggle taking place within the government. The present Zuma regime came in to power on the backs of the unions, and now it is payback time. The SA Communist Party is testing its strength here.

Europe and the West promoted, supported and funded the ANC, and spun the line to all that they, and their leader Nelson Mandela, could walk on water and were saviours of Africa. The reality was, and still is, that the ANC is little more than a criminal organisation disguised as a political party. Since coming to power they have been systematically looting the state coffers whilst ensuring that the average citizen has their hands full with rising crime, rising unemployment, rising cost of living, against a declining infrastructure, healthcare and economy. It is scary days here in South Africa. We are on the brink . . .

Hilton, anyone of my age has but to think about Rhodesia to understand your point about perfidious western ethics! They betrayed a country and its people and its future for the sake of their own, homespun communist beliefs.

Rob C

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:45 am »

Having seen some of the strikes first hand, the first thing to come to mind is: where are the injured protesters going to get treated?

They have literally blockaded some of the hospitals and schools and are making a serious mess. Patients are dying and some not even being admitted.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:29:32 pm »

Having seen some of the strikes first hand, the first thing to come to mind is: where are the injured protesters going to get treated?

There is an ambulance on standby for them, manned by "striking" staff. Believe it or not.

Rob, South Africa it is. Ablaze with "democracy"
Pages: [1]   Go Up