Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G12?  (Read 38225 times)

DaveL

• http://
Canon G12?
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:08 am »

From another Canon forum...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=919311

Photo if real shows a dial below the shutter release...

DaveL
Toronto

DaveL

Re: Canon G12?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:30:43 pm »

I haven't seen real notice of the G12 yet.
Interesting that the S95 is out, and companies are taking orders.
Surprised that it beat out the G12.
At POTN an owner started a long thread about selling her G11 because of ergonomic issues.She's a working photographer, and has sold her G11.

I've had 2 G11's; first one the internal battery failed. Every time I started the G11 up, it would prompt for date/time reset. Yes, I did follow the manual instructions about charging the removal battery for an extended period of time. This was a pain in a tender spot; eventually replaced the camera.

DaveL

hidden message--I havent' warmed up to the G11 because of these problems.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:07 pm »

Owning both an S90 and a G10, I would most definitely go for the s95 instead of the G12.

After a round of DxO, very similar performance in a smaller and cheaper package that is a much better complement to a DSLR IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

stever

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:32:33 am »

and LR 3.2 supports lens correction for the S90 so presumably there'll be an update for the S95

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:50:53 pm »

My wife is very happy with the G10 if the G12 has HD video (it will) she will like an upgrade and I'll get the G10 as a very nice backup camera.
 ;D

jdemott

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »

Hello Bernard,

I have a Canon G10 and I'm giving some thought to picking up a Canon S90/S95 because of the more easily pocket-able size.  With the G10, I've become fairly adept at adjusting exposure values and raw processing to maximize the available dynamic range--how does the S90 compare to the G10 on dynamic range?  Also, I see that the S90 is still available on Amazon for considerably less than the S95--are there any of the announced features on the new S95 that seem particularly compelling to you based on your experience with the S90, or would the S90 still be a good choice? 
John DeMott

DaveL

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:17:11 am »

John, I don't own an S90. However I see posts at potn about ergonomics--the wheel on the camera back is easily moved upsetting workflow. Didn't Michael review this camera here? I can't remember....
Also--it's a slippery camera; hard to hold onto for some; no viewfinder.
I understand those issues may be resolved with the S95--except for the viewfinder of course.
Richard Franiec makes a grip for the S90. Perhaps he will for the S95.
Looking forward to seeing the S95...

Regards,
DaveL
Toronto

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

I have not done any comparison between the S90 and G10 from a DR standpoint, but I seem to have overall many more usable images with the S90, which includes more DR I guess.

It is correct that the one ergonomic flaw of the S90 is its rear wheel that appears to have been improved/fixed with the S95. That alone might justify going with the newer camera although most of the other enhancements appear to be focused more on video.

Cheers,
Bernard

DaveL

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:22:21 am »

Thanks Bernard.
There are some posts at potn about resolving the issue with the wheel on the back of the S90. Some have become very good at removing it and shimming it so it doesn't spin so freely. Talk of voided warranty...
I regret buying a G11--but that's just me. I like the articulating screen.
I wish I had bought an S90 instead with a Freniec (sp?) grip.

POTN is a Canon forum with many active participants. They're very tolerant. (Nikon user for a long time, but solely for fun now.)

Regards,
DaveL

stever

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:42:11 am »

i bought the s90 with the grip after reading reviews and think it's necessary

stsk

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00:32 pm »

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12

Re: G12 vs S95: They're different types of camera, despite their similarities. Yes, the S's are smaller. No, that's not always a good thing, even as a complement to a DSLR. For a lot of people the ergonomics of the G series help them take better pictures. If you use a DSLR, the likelihood of getting good shots is enhanced by a real-life viewfinder so you can steady the camera next to your face rather than holding the camera at arm's length. Don't underestimate this advantage. Also, shooting in bright backlight using only an LCD is an exercise in frustration. A lot of people will like the S's for their compact dimensions and "simpler" interface. Many will not.

AFairley

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:04:07 pm »

The wheel on the back of the S90 is a non-issue for me (with my setup it toggles between f stop and EV adjustment); I just check the aperture/EV adjustment when I take the picture (you have to look at the LCD anyway), and the value hardly ever get inadvertently changed anyway.  But the LCD sucks, if the thing had even a crappy OVF like the earlier Elfs, it would be a huge improvement.  If it had an OVF of the quality of the G series it would be a dream.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:09:30 pm by AFairley »

BullSquad

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 01:25:19 am »

There is a video about this camera..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3MkfFzTAwk

Fritzer

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »

I have a G2 (yeah) , and I love the ergonomics. Used to, actually, as I haven't been using it in the last few years.
My first camera with a swiveling display, no way back.

My problem with the Canon P&S cameras is the tiny sensor; both the G11 and S90 deliver only mediocre image quality, even at low ISO .
In case of the G11/12, the low quality even comes in a comparatively large and heavy package, so I'm wondering what Canon is doing here.

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:15:36 pm »

I have a G2 (yeah) , and I love the ergonomics. Used to, actually, as I haven't been using it in the last few years.
My first camera with a swiveling display, no way back.

Our first digital camera was also a G2. The images we have from then hold up pretty well, even if the resolution is very much lower in comparison to recent cameras. The lens was excellent, and I still do not understand why it has taken so long to get DSLRs with live view and flip-out screens.

My problem with the Canon P&S cameras is the tiny sensor; both the G11 and S90 deliver only mediocre image quality, even at low ISO .

In the end, I went with micro 4/3 rather than a G11. At the time, neither the price nor pocketability (with 20mm) was that different - but I get much better images as a result.

John Camp

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:35 pm »

I bought a G11 after seriously considering the S95, side-by-side. I decided based on two qualities -- pocketability and the flip-out screen. For the kinds of clothes I wear, the pockets take or reject either camera. That is, I can get either in a jacket pocket, but neither in a jeans pocket. So, that took care of the pocket issue. I *really* like flip-out screens, and do not understand why all larger cameras don't have them (I understand why super-compact cameras don't.) Resolution, etc., as between 10 and 14mp, just doesn't make too much difference for my uses; where it does, I've got a two-camera m4/3 system and a D300/D3 Nikon system, though I haven't used the Nikons much in the last year. I have to say that I am anxiously  awaiting reviews on the Nikon D7000, especially at higher ISOs. If it has really terrific high-ISO response, I may step away from Nikon's heavier gear.

250swb

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:24 am »

For me the problem with the G11 and G12 is that they offer what appears to be all the tempting specifications to make you think its a 'serious' camera, but you end up using only a fraction of those functions anyway, and when you want speed its slow to respond, and its image quality is no better than the S90 or S95. Its not a pocketable DSLR substitute, its a pain, neither fish nor fowl.

I'll never buy another G camera (if they make any more, it seems like its a dead end to me) and my G11 is now being used by my pal, because I got an S90 and this is a delightful camera to use. It does need a grip, but I made my own in ten minutes and stuck on with trim tape. So I'd say look at the S95 instead and embrace the fact thats its a small P&S because the next small type of camera on the next step up for IQ is something like m4/3, not the G11/12.

Steve

stamper

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 04:02:09 am »

In case of the G11/12, the low quality even comes in a comparatively large and heavy package, so I'm wondering what Canon is doing here.
[/quote]

You must have very exacting standards if you think the image quality is mediocre on the S90. What are you comparing it with?

AFairley

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:48 am »

I'm inclined to doubt that you have actually used these cameras.  The on-print image quality is really surprising, I have printed the S90 at up to 17x22, and as long as you don't have your nose to the print they look very nice.  See also: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Erick Boileau

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »

I don't know the G11 but I have sold the G10 after 3 months , as you say even at 100 ISO the quality is very poor
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up