Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reds/Pinks look different in PS and LR3  (Read 1247 times)

HickersonJasonC

Reds/Pinks look different in PS and LR3
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »

Today I pulled a portrait from LR3 into PS CS3 to replace a dark background with another, lighter one from another photo from that session. When the image opened, the deep red/fuscia colored chair appeared as more of a tomato red. I've never seen this before in my images so I took a look at my color settings and can't find anything wrong. Both LR and PS are using ProPhoto as the color space. Any ideas what is going on here? Perhaps this has always happened and I've just never seen this particular color red in a prominent way in my photos?

To test it, I opened several other photos from other sessions and there is indeed a noticeable difference in the color rendition of deeper pinks in the lips mostly. I also printed both from LR and PS and both prints were an identical match to the color red/pink appearing in LR.

Images attached show the issue. Any help appreciated.

WombatHorror

Re: Reds/Pinks look different in PS and LR3
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:38 am »

Today I pulled a portrait from LR3 into PS CS3 to replace a dark background with another, lighter one from another photo from that session. When the image opened, the deep red/fuscia colored chair appeared as more of a tomato red. I've never seen this before in my images so I took a look at my color settings and can't find anything wrong. Both LR and PS are using ProPhoto as the color space. Any ideas what is going on here? Perhaps this has always happened and I've just never seen this particular color red in a prominent way in my photos?

To test it, I opened several other photos from other sessions and there is indeed a noticeable difference in the color rendition of deeper pinks in the lips mostly. I also printed both from LR and PS and both prints were an identical match to the color red/pink appearing in LR.

Images attached show the issue. Any help appreciated.

maybe you have proofing turned on in PS??

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:12:13 am »

The title bar shows us that Soft Proofing is off. Are you viewing a TIFF or RAW file in LR? And does it look the same in the Develop module? Was the PS version rendered in LR or PS? If in PS, was the Camera RAW version compatible with the version in LR?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:00 pm »

Strangely, colors in PS and LR match today when viewing these two files. I have no idea what is going on here; I made no changes to PS yesterday or today, only opened and viewed images.

To answer your questions, the files were TIFFs in both LR and PS and they were rendered using Lightroom's Edit in Photoshop command (edit a copy with LR adjustments). Though the DNG vs the TIFF in PS showed the same color mismatch. As far as compatibility, I don't know. Is there an incompatibility with LR3 and PS CS3 Camera Raw versions?

I will try again to recreate this issue and get back to you. At the moment, all is well but I'd really like to know what it was that I did to cause this weird behavior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up