Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing black border around images  (Read 4489 times)

markdfink

Printing black border around images
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:48 am »

I am just starting to use LR3 and last night went to print two images using the Picture Package. Really nice feature! My question is, since I am printing on canvas, I want a 2" black border around all sides which will be the part that wraps around the frame.

The only options I see are Photo Border and Inner Stroke. In Photo Border, I don't see a way to set the color to black, but I can with Inner Stroke, so I set the size of the cell to be two inches larger in all directions and then tried to set the Inner Stroke to 144 pts, (72 pts = 1"). However, the maximum allowed is only 20 pts. Is there another way of setting a black border around an image?

What I ended up doing for the two images was setting the background color of the canvas to black, but that uses much more ink than necessary.

Thanks!

Mark
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:25:38 am by markdfink »

markdfink

Re: Printing black border around images
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:22 pm »

I think I figured this one out. Using the Custom Package option, I can stack images on top of each other. I first place the image(s) that I'm printing, then add black images that I created in Photoshop to the appropriate sizes. I add these to the canvas, adjust the size of the cell(s), move them into the correct position, right click and send to back. Works like a charm.

I must say, since getting the latest Win7 64bit drivers for my HP Z3100 and LR3, printing has become a nearly effortless joy again!

Mark

Cooner

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:39:42 am »

All I do is in Photoshop is go to canvas size and add two inches to the height and width, make sure black is selected.

markdfink

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:48:02 am »

But what I'm trying to avoid is a bunch of copies of an image in different sizes with hardwired black backgrounds. I print at several different sizes, so being able to stay with one master image that I can print to any size is my goal. With my approach, I still have to make black backgrounds in various sizes, but at least once that's done, I dont' have to recreate them. If I could find a way to tell LR3 to put a 2" black border around a cell, then I'd be big time happy.  ;D

pete1959

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:37:55 am »

All in Lightroom:

Print Module>Page>Page background Color (Check the box then select "black" via the "picker"). 

In "Layout" pick whatever cell size you want on the paper...all the remaining areas will be black. Make sure you chose "boderless" in your printer page setup dialog box.

The "width" of the black border will be determined by the unprinted areas on the paper, which will be printed black, and which changes with image size ("cell size") and paper size. You should be able to find a print size-paper size relationship that gives you what you need. If a frame is going to cover the unprinted areas it's just a matter of the matt opening being two inches wider that the image.

You can ignore adding a black stroke border at that point as it will disappear, but now you can add a razor thin white line on a black background if you wish.  :)

-Pete

www.tmaxphoto.com

markdfink

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »

Hi Pete,

Good idea, but I think that only works if you are printing one image at a time. With the 44" wide printer, I am ganging up several images on one large job, so I make the paper size big and place several images on it. Sometimes, when I'm printing one of my really big pictures, then I'll have to remember your approach, since that will work perfectly.

Thanks!

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up