Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue and Green  (Read 2142 times)

John R

Blue and Green
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:57 am »

Took a few shots at Bellfountain yesterday, just north of Toronto to try out a manual lens on my Pentax. Here are some images I came up with. The blue, green and white edges really worked well for that human-like representation.

JMR
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:40:54 am by John R »

popnfresh

Re: Blue and Green
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

I like both of these. I have to say that for a long time I was not too keen on many of your impressionistic photos, but IMO you've come a long way over the past year. You've refined your technique enormously and your eye keeps getting better. You validate my belief in the notion that the best way to improve one's photos is to get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot. Keep it up!

Oh, and one more thing... thank you for replacing your monogram's cursive font with something easier on the eyes.  ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:07:10 pm »

John, I just got the current "special" issue of Color Magazine with the results of their last portfolio contest. If you haven't sent your work to them, you really ought to next time they have their portfolio contest. From what I see in that magazine your work ought to be a shoo-in.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

John R

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »

I like both of these. I have to say that for a long time I was not too keen on many of your impressionistic photos, but IMO you've come a long way over the past year. You've refined your technique enormously and your eye keeps getting better. You validate my belief in the notion that the best way to improve one's photos is to get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot. Keep it up!

Oh, and one more thing... thank you for replacing your monogram's cursive font with something easier on the eyes.  ;)
Yes, my new version of Elements does not have my old font which was an unobtrusive cursive font. But the new one is too fancy. So back to simple fonts.

Thanks for the comments. But with regards to my impressionistic images, I find some people just don't like them and prefer realistic images. I really don't see anything wrong with the style, its almost the same as I did when we use to sandwich slides and rephotograph them. LIke this one- very simple, one shot in focus and one slightly out of focus and then overlayed in photoshop, just like slides. No special layering or effects.

John R

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:45 pm »

John, I just got the current "special" issue of Color Magazine with the results of their last portfolio contest. If you haven't sent your work to them, you really ought to next time they have their portfolio contest. From what I see in that magazine your work ought to be a shoo-in.
I will have a look at the magazine. I was going to do something last year but I noticed the time had expired. I will try for this year. Thanks for your interest.

JMR

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:00 am »

John...the second of the two has a particularly nice pull for me...it's one I'd be tempted, given your method to allow a bit more focus selectively in a carefully thought out area from your focused layer...to maybe allow us to feel how your eye flowed and selectively isolated what interested your soul about that place , that day , that moment in your in your life...If it were my file I would have quite a working file of layer groups containing many versions of the story to revisit often ie BW, intonation via focused points and areas etc...something really nice about this one....and the serendipity of "just trying out a manual lens" makes it more so as your subliminal consciousness contributed....Pat
A common woman~

John R

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:36:54 pm »

I think I may have created confusion with my comments. I am sorry about that. The method of Orton-style images was employed for the third image only- the cranberry bush and past images where it was used. The first two images are straight but longish exposures (over a second or more), and that's what creates the blurred look. The water is running over the rocks and seaweed. When the exposure is too long, it washes out the subject-matter, which is OK if that is what you are looking for. It is not always desirable, but in low light it is oftentimes inescapable.

But I thank you for your comments. I always feel like I am in another world and away from the "rat race"- work and chores and so forth- when I am out photographing in nature. I am sure most of us feel the same way. Few people like to hike with me, because I seldom get to where I am supposed to be going. But what's the hurry...

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up