Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import from catalog *and* copy?  (Read 1389 times)

dreed

Import from catalog *and* copy?
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:14:13 am »

Trying something new, operationally, I've been away shooting, new photos in a catalog on my laptop that I've copied over to my backup drive. The goal was to then copy the catalog over to my workstation separately and then import from the backup and copy the photos into a location along with the other pics (saves a step or two, I was hoping.)

But what I've found is that while I can import from the catalog, it seems that I can't do copy-on-import like I can if I import using other means.

Is there a way to do copy on import when importing from a catalog or am I going to have to be manual about this?

maenol

Re: Import from catalog *and* copy?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:00:27 am »

Yes I agree. I also thought it unusual that we are not offered a backup when importing from catalogue. It would give good efficient workflow.
Peter

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:17:26 am »

Because it's assumed that you would have done the backup when you imported to the first catalogue, which is more efficient and effective. Import from Catalog has other roles - eg moving work between computers.

John

maenol

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:23:38 am »

Hi John,
When at home I backup on import from card as you suggest to a large external HDD. However when I am abroad and travelling as light as possible I tend not to take back up drives with me. The option to backup on import from catalogue would be useful. I am not saying it is essential or that it is impossible to manually backup, just that an option would be on my wishlist.
Best wishes from Llanelli, UK
Peter :)

dreed

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:25:26 am »

Because it's assumed that you would have done the backup when you imported to the first catalogue, which is more efficient and effective. Import from Catalog has other roles - eg moving work between computers.

John

That's exactly what I wanted to do - copy work from one computer to another.

Let me throw a different operational model at you.

I'm away from a week, shooting and photos go to two places: the laptop internal hard drive and an external drive which serves as my backup. I return home and the task is to get the data from the "roaming computer" to the "main computer." What I should be able to do then is connect the external drive that I had connected to my laptop to the "main computer" and import from that with that import also copying files in from the external drive to both my desktop and the real backup.

In this instance, the external drive serves as a temporary backup for the laptop and also the means for transporting files from the laptop to my desktop. Both the laptop hard drive and external hard drive that I connect to it are somewhat smaller than my backup but they're big enough for a week's shooting.

The other piece to this is that I need to get a copy of the catalog on to the external disk.

The other method here is to do all of your initial imports, when using a laptop, onto an external disk (where the initial catalog data lives) and have the backup copies live on the laptop. Then there's no special action required to get the catalog onto the external disk.

I can do all of this manually (copy from the external drive to the internal, then copy the trip catalog) but that isn't really as user friendly as it could be.

If you only have one computer and only ever work from that one computer, then this does not apply.

It just dawned on me that you're probably expected to do an "Export" before doing an "Import" in scenarios like this. But why should I need to? If the photos and catalog are already on an external disk, why do I need to write it all out to a new copy with export?
Pages: [1]   Go Up