Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop/Notebook (PC) configuration optimized for CS5  (Read 10967 times)

Patricia Sheley

Laptop/Notebook (PC) configuration optimized for CS5
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:01 am »

As my old Dell Latitude is my only portable (my current workstation is Dell XPS2010 with 21" Cintiq I am needing a truly portable Laptop/Notebook (64 bit os) blue ray,7200 rpm, e Sata port, 2nd int HD, optimum N Vidia card... Has anyone figured out a way to do this? Want to make this purchase before I upgrade from CS4extended to CS5extended....

I would be most thankful for guidance...the initial cost is not the issue...just that I have a well perfoming machine...I really miss being able to edit on the road...and want to put the proper machine in place before I upgrade... 

Thanks, Pat S.
A common woman~

pcunite

Re: Laptop/Notebook (PC) configuration optimized for CS5
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »

The Thinkpad W510 or W700 series.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:05 pm »

W700 appears to no longer be available...the w510 uses only the nividia quadroFX880 card...thoought system reqts stated fx 3800,4800 or5800...I am so lost...also optimum seems to requestblue ray recordable...how I wish I had a brain...
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »

Ok...I see ...now how to determine the customization...I feel so inept at this...any suggestions where I might look for help setting this up properly...I am in CT (I  read your LUA and SRP posts with great interest....I have been so lucky through the years with Mcaffee and webroot plus various sweeps, but you make some excellent points...Thank you for your help...Pat
A common woman~

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:45 pm »

I just bought a Sony 16.4" F series laptop to replace my aging ASUS. I have to say, I'm fairly pleased with it. The specs are as follows:

i7 Core 740Q quad-core CPU
6GB RAM
nVidia GT330M graphics card with 1GB
500GB 7200rpm drive
Blu-RAY writable optical drive
1920x1080 res

The only real drawback (one shared by virtually ALL notebooks these days) is the screen is glossy. That may be wonderful for games, etc. but sucks for image editing unless you keep the lights low to minimize reflections. The screen calibrates beautifully and is a virtual match to the sRGB colorspace. (As far as I know, there are no notebooks capable of AdobeRGB, and many notebooks have difficulty even achieving sRGB).

I've had it for about a month now and used it on four shoots on location and the studio, as well as working on digital imaging for two clients while I was away. The images matched as displayed on my desktop when I got home. It's not loaded with typical bloatware, but rather comes with full versions of Acrobat Standard, Photoshop Elements 8 and Premier Elements 8. PS Elements is a bit of a waste for me since I have CS5 loaded, but it's still a nice feature.

Overall, Sony (which I never would have considered previously_ seems to have their act together. Oh, and it's lighter than my old ASUS with it's smaller screen (about 6+ pounds).

Nemo

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:50 pm »

Thank you...little by little this is beginning to clarify. no desire for bloatware either...just being able to not be locked into editing only at home...calibration was a limitation I hadn't thought of and a glossy screen I would love to avoid...sony definitely was not on my radar...will check it out...thanks for your current hands on review of your set up so far...2nd internal HD is something I keep bumping into too...i don't keep much on my machines, very little archived on it except current working projects...I'll get this yet...thanks  Pat
A common woman~

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:30 pm »

I always end up using tons of external pocket drives for shoots (eventually archived to larger drives), so a 2nd drive has never been a priority. (The Sony also has a dual eSATA/USB port, which I've found handy for fast transfers from my digital wallet-type drive. I also added a USB3 Express card to the mix.) Two other nice features I forgot to mention is a lit keyboard in low light (a feature I always envied on Macs), and a full numeric pad.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:31 am »

This is really helping...the eSata port is high on my list and USB was a hoped for...I use multiple Western Digital HD's and backup to several along with current download to another drive for transfer later. Do you see that a NVidia card is available in the range of say the FX 3800 or 4800? Being able to connect to the CINTIQ 21 on occasion would be a plus...I may be asking for two much....

On my home system dell xps 2010 running Vista Ultimate I use the Cintiq as my second/editing moniter and works great....looks like I may need to upgrade thate to Windows 7 and attemt to find a way to get a better graphics card installed...may not be possible.  The new laptop (way overdue) and upgrades on the current XPS have all been triggered by wanting the best and optimum /stable platform for CS5.  I shoot RAW full frame and often combine 6-9 frames into one larger file...especially with the TS-E 24.  I shareyour love of the 85 and 135...both fantastic . Have the 70-200 2.8 L is but while it goes back to Canon for service not as happy with it as I was before the 85 and 135...took only the 85 , 135 and 24 tse on a windjammer trip last week and was only mildly unhappy now and then...hardere to "zoom with you feet" onboard a 92 foot windjamming ketch...

You've been so generous with your input...thankyou..my fears in this entire process are starting to slowly recede...Pat
A common woman~

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

The video card in the Sony is quite good for a notebook -- an nVidia GT330M. (My desktop uses a GTX275, which is more powerful, to output to dual 24" monitors but for some reason Photoshop CS5 32-bit doesn't recognize it to use the enhanced abilities, but the Sony does.)

I don't see a problem using the Cintiq on the Sony since the Sony has a DVI port, which is, I believe, what you need. The Sony I bought is standard with 6GB of RAM, but with your layering, if you'd do it on the Cintiq, you might consider an upgrade to 8GB.

I think you'd do yourself a huge favor moving over to Windows 7 x64. I ran Vista (32-bit) for a while, and was generally happy, but the system became slower and slower with each patch and update. Both my desktop and the Sony run Windows 7 x64, and generally boot much quicker and shit down quicker. The added plus is that Win 7 also doesn't generally load a lot of services and processes that it doesn't need immediately. Vista loads EVERYTHING, hence the slow boots.

My 70-200 has been pretty good, but really pales compared to the 85 and 135. Actually, that reminds me, I need to send everything off next week while I have some down time.

Hope the added info helps. Oh, one note regarding adding a USB3 Express card. The Express card slot doesn't have the power to run two USB3 pocket drives, so you have to find a power adapter.

flash

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:44:14 pm »

I just bought a Sony 16.4" F series laptop to replace my aging ASUS. I have to say, I'm fairly pleased with it. The specs are as follows:

The only real drawback (one shared by virtually ALL notebooks these days) is the screen is glossy. That may be wonderful for games, etc. but sucks for image editing unless you keep the lights low to minimize reflections. The screen calibrates beautifully and is a virtual match to the sRGB colorspace. (As far as I know, there are no notebooks capable of AdobeRGB, and many notebooks have difficulty even achieving sRGB).

The top Sony F covers 100% of aRGB

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpcf127hg

as did the older and unfortunately discontinued AW series with the matte display.

Gordon

Destiny

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:35 am »

Anything bigger than 15" (wide) is not portable anymore and psheleyimages already has a workstation so I would go for something lighter yet with a kick. Consider the HP business range -
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-4307559.html?jumpid=re_R295_prodexp/busproducts/computing-notebook/elitebook-mobile&psn=notebooks_tablet_pcs/notebook_pcs

I am so pleased with mine (3 year old now) that I will most likely go with them again.
...::: D700 :: N18-35 3.5-4.5 :: N35 1.8 :: N85 1.8 :: N75-150mm 3.5 :::...

nemophoto

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »

I have to disagree. Once upon a time, 15" was considered "large". A 17" MacBook is very portable. To me, portable means weight, not necessarily size. I'd dearly love to travel with an 11 or 10 inch netbook, but it lacks the horsepower to even adequately deal with large file transfers, much less any serious file editing or conversions. I find 16" is a nice middle ground and the Sony F weighs the same was my older Asus 15". So, who's to say what "portable" really is.

Nemo

nemophoto

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »

Gordon,

Interesting that the Australian Sony site says full AdobeRGB, but the American Sony site makes zero mention of it. I would think it's the same screen, so I wonder if some aspect of American advertising standards prohibits them really touting that if it's not exactly true. I know my screen calibration is dead-on for sRGB (as far as the small triangles show), but I'd love it if it truly was AdobeRGB capable.  My negative on the screen is that it's edges are brighter, and somewhat uneven illuminationtop to bottom. Wish it were RGB LED.

Destiny

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 04:34:04 am »

Nemo,

don't forget that sometimes you have to travel on the plane and luggage weight restrictions are quite strict in some places. I'd rather take more photo gear and smaller/lighter notebook (even 13" are equipped with i7 & 4GB or RAM these days). It all really depends on personal preference, back's strength ;) and pocket size ;)
I'd prefer to have dedicated setup for my short hikes in the neighborhood, carry luggage only flights, long trips etc.

Small and lightweight doesn't always mean lack of processing power. We are not discussing NETbooks here, which are really useless for anything more than watching a 720p HD movie. If I used one, it would only be for storing/backing up and selecting photos, not editing them.
...::: D700 :: N18-35 3.5-4.5 :: N35 1.8 :: N85 1.8 :: N75-150mm 3.5 :::...
Pages: [1]   Go Up