Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any worthwhile MF innovation to be expected at Kina?  (Read 25547 times)

PdF

Re: Any worthwhile MF innovation to be expected at Kina?
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:06 am »

Three new tilt-shift optics from Schneider.

PdF
PdF

Ed Jack

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:08 am »

PdF

I'd have liked a focal length smaller than 120mm, more like 80mm woudl have been good. How much automation will be integrated into this int erms of an automatic diaphragm and camera driven aperture and shutter speed setting etc ?! I womder whether the shift and tilt values work their way into the exif data ?

Ed

BJNY

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:52 am »

PdF

Thank you PdF.

Great they have built-in tripod mounts.

Also wish the 50mm and 90mm would fit Mamiya 645, instead of just DLRs.
Guillermo

PdF

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 09:28:27 am »

Here is a new 6/7.
PdF

amsp

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 09:33:24 am »

Thank you PdF.

Great they have built-in tripod mounts.

Also wish the 50mm and 90mm would fit Mamiya 645, instead of just DLRs.

Still, this is exciting news. Finally a quality TS lens for the M645, and if commercially successful I'm sure they will bring out more focal lengths.

BJNY

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:09 am »

Hoping there will be Phase One branded 50mm and 90mm.
Guillermo

ondebanks

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06:18 am »

Hoping there will be Phase One branded 50mm and 90mm.

Judging by the optical cutaway diagrams, there isn't enough spare backfocus to re-engineer the 50mm and 90mm to mount on a 645 camera. Remove the tilt mechanism and maybe they just would fit, as a shift-only lens, but then I suspect that the image circle would greatly reduce the available shift on 645. Not worth the candle, really.

The 120mm on the other hand is a nice surprise. Never thought I'd see the classic Symmar design in a lens for a Mamiya 645! Fantastic.

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »

Phase has some interesting stuff coming down the pipeline, if the hints and winks at the recent event in Iceland are any indication. That said, Photokina is not regarded as nearly as big a deal as it once was, so the announcements aren't being built around the event any longer.

In Iceland we got to test the 150 LS lens, and the battery grip. I think I detected a hint that a new 300 is coming - probably next year.  The biggest deal to me, and comments I found most interesting is that the tech people at Phase see their current 645DF body as being pretty much maxed out in it's current form, and the next iteration - which they are working toward - will be substantially different. But for that, I think we'll probably be waiting a couple years to play out.

As a personal guess I would say next year will see a P85+ come out.

JV

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:59 pm »

Probably, I am just wondering how many people are really waiting for that...

Mr. Rib

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:59 am »

Going to P85+ from P45+ would probably make more sense than going from P45+ to P65+. Well, as long as a new back introduces something big which is currently missing and the list of big things missing on these expensive backs is quite a long one.  Not to mention constant progress in DSLRs functionality, which defines the standards for the whole industry..

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 05:04:46 am »

Probably, I am just wondering how many people are really waiting for that...

it would be quite appealing to me if it had senor plus 20+ mp setting along with a very very large files for different options. my retouchers still prefer the largest files i can supply- it makes compositing easier.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

archivue

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:50 am »

I'd have liked a focal length smaller than 120mm, more like 80mm

+1 !

i have the 120 macro sironar digital... and for object, i'm using my 90 most of the time because of DOF !

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:41 am »

I understand Hasselblad have taken Face recognition a stage or two further, other than a smile mode which fires when the subject smiles, for the fashion guys they have added sultry, very hungry and pissed off .

Kevin.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:45:16 am by KevinA »
Kevin.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:05 am »

Phase has some interesting stuff coming down the pipeline, if the hints and winks at the recent event in Iceland are any indication. That said, Photokina is not regarded as nearly as big a deal as it once was, so the announcements aren't being built around the event any longer.

In Iceland we got to test the 150 LS lens, and the battery grip. I think I detected a hint that a new 300 is coming - probably next year.  The biggest deal to me, and comments I found most interesting is that the tech people at Phase see their current 645DF body as being pretty much maxed out in it's current form, and the next iteration - which they are working toward - will be substantially different. But for that, I think we'll probably be waiting a couple years to play out.

a 150 LS ?. Sure it was not the 110mm. If so you just made my day
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

BJNY

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »

What is the need for [more] leaf shutter lenses if the DF body with appropriate digital back is capable of syncing at 1/1600th?

Guillermo

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 12:31:24 pm »

What is the need for [more] leaf shutter lenses if the DF body with appropriate digital back is capable of syncing at 1/1600th?

This is a great question. If the max sync on the LS lenses is 1/800th, but with a P40/P65+ can go to 1/1600th, logic might dictate that you don't really need LS lenses to achieve this sync speed..... unless a LS shutter is necessary due to the circular shutter action vs. a vertically moving slit opening of a FP shutter.

David

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »

This is a great question. If the max sync on the LS lenses is 1/800th, but with a P40/P65+ can go to 1/1600th, logic might dictate that you don't really need LS lenses to achieve this sync speed..... unless a LS shutter is necessary due to the circular shutter action vs. a vertically moving slit opening of a FP shutter.

A variety of timing techniques and technology are used to accomplish 1/1600th sync with full flash power. This requires both a leaf shutter and a DF body with a P40+ or P65+ or Aptus-II digital back (and presumably future digital backs). With other digital backs the advanced timing techniques cannot be used and so the flash sync speed is limited to 1/800th.

The exciting part is the built in flash sync which will include 1/1600th sync that is built into the DF V-Grip Air. I can't wait to test this as there are very few (read: I can't find any) wireless options that can handle wireless sync with studios strobes at 1/800th (without losing light), let alone 1/1600th.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 01:42:10 pm »

A variety of timing techniques and technology are used to accomplish 1/1600th sync with full flash power. This requires both a leaf shutter and a DF body with a P40+ or P65+ or Aptus-II digital back (and presumably future digital backs). With other digital backs the advanced timing techniques cannot be used and so the flash sync speed is limited to 1/800th.

Thanks for the input, Doug.

If the max speed on the LS lens is 1/800th, is the 1/1600th speed "real"? In other words, is there a one stop difference in exposure between an ambient-only (no strobe) shot at 1/800 @f/5.5, ISO 100 and one taken at 1/1600 @ f/5.6, ISO 100 (when using this speed on the LS lens only)? Presumably, if the focal plane shutter is not being used, then the speed difference mush be achieved in a shutter-less fashion on the CCD, similar to an interline CCD used in broadcast video cameras. Or, is the 1/1600th speed achieved using both the LS and FP in concert (LS for flash sync, FP for ambient during the LS exposure)?

Any thoughts?

David
David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »

"The exciting part is the built in flash sync which will include 1/1600th sync that is built into the DF V-Grip Air. I can't wait to test this as there are very few (read: I can't find any) wireless options that can handle wireless sync with studios strobes at 1/800th (without losing light), let alone 1/1600th."

Altough this is impressive technology that might be useful in extreme situations, we´ve had this before: studio strobes (including the fastest packs like Pro8 or Bron Scoro) set to an average power from lets assume about 800Ws will have a longer flash duration than 1/1600s, so you loose a lot of the light emitted by simply cutting the time.

I really miss the smaller companies that used to be at Photokina years ago, feels a lot more of them disappear every two years...

Cheers, Ulf

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »

Well to be fair, even though 'other brands' like Elinchrom combined with Hasselblad may not sync without the loss of some light, the amount of light lost is less than a stop and that's like putting a diffuser fabric on many boxes.

So it's not a huge deal, unless you are trying to pull all 1100ws or 2400ws out of a pack and need every last bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up