Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigh... z3100 woes. 79-04  (Read 6324 times)

tonywong

Sigh... z3100 woes. 79-04
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:41:18 am »

So I was trying to track down the source of the onboard Spectro blocking up profiles, so I downgraded the firmware to 6.0.0.7. No such luck for a fix, but when I uploaded my paper profile (for HP everyday satin), I got bit by the 79-04 error.

It keeps giving me the 79-04 error right after boot up no matter what I do, except in Diagnostic mode and Manufacturing mode. Is there a way to change up the firmware or reset the system while in those modes that a non-HP tech like me can do? The reset EEPROM didn't fix a thing, and pulling out all the carts and consumables still gives the 79-04 error.

From what I've seen it looks like the formatter needs replacing as the only official solution. Haven't called HP yet but if someone has the part number I can do it myself. It's the big daddy z3100ps GP 44" APS model for what it's worth. The replacement formatter needs/comes with it's own hard disk as well from what I gather.

Also, does anyone know if the formatter for the 24" Z3100ps GP would work on the 44" (ie. the same part?). I have a line on an inexpensive 24" that I could possibly scavenge if the guts are interchangeable. If anyone has any source for cheap parts or parting out a unit that would be great too.

As an aside, I'm kind of bummed that a simple paper profile upload can trigger a hardware fault that cripples the printer. I'll probably go with Canon for my next round as HP seems to have abandoned support for the z3x00 series.

Other links regarding the 79.04 and paper profiles:
http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/20006703
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1281933216893+28353475&threadId=1172168

Full description of error:
79-04
Code: 0xbabeface
Serverity: Error
Priority: 3000
Id: 0x101021a
Description:
STRING_POWER_OFF
File: OmesAtlas.cpp
Line: 1088
Class: software
Subclass: assert
Define: ASSERT_ERROR
Description: Assertion
"!rasterUrlList.empty()"

Any input or comment would be appreciated. Not sure how much the formatter is going to cost but my guess is that it won't be cheap. :P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:43:01 am by tonywong »

jasdown

Re: Sigh... z3100 woes. 79-04
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:31:47 am »

I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. After repeatedly receiving the error "79.1:04" on my z3200 (not sure if that's akin to your error or not), I unscrewed the formatter (a card with a built in hard drive) and physically yanked it out. After blowing off the connectors and re-seating it snugly my Z booted without the error. In my case, I theorize that having made so many network cable connections (whose port is connected to the formatter card), it must have wiggled loose somehow -- but I really don't know.

tonywong

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:27 am »

Thanks for the reply. I will try it later tonight.

79.1:04 is less severe of an error since the .1 says it is recoverable.

tonywong

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:59 am »

Well I tried cleaning and reseating the formatter but no dice. I even tried disconnecting the hard disk but the printer beeped at me ominously. It looks like the printer loads the entire OS from boot so from what I can gather, a 'firmware update' is more like an OS update.

I also tried mounting the drive on my mac but it looks like the disk is fully encrypted, since no volumes could be detected, and from the diagnostics it does look like there are multiple partitions but nothing shows up as readable outside of the printer.

I also tried throwing in a different disk, but I got an 08:11 error after it powered up.

I had always intended on copying the hard disk in case it physically died, but after looking at it it would have to be a sector for sector copy in order to back it up at all.

From the circumstances that it did die, it is my guess that the hard disk partition/file system was damaged somehow and the paper upload somehow blew it up to the point of being unbootable.

I would also wildly surmise that if the hard disk was reimaged that the system would be fine again, ie. that there isn't any true hardware damage, and that the OS/file system/partition simply needs to be restored in order for it to work again.

Unfortunately the only way that that looks doable is using HP manufacturing tools, by putting the system into manufacturing mode and using HP software and hardware to upload the software and configure it.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order a new formatter to resurrect the system. From there I may be able to image the drive and restore functionality to the dead formatter, but it is possible that the drives are encrypted and keyed to the specific formatter boards as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up