Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maine Coast  (Read 7812 times)

Mark F

Maine Coast
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »

I'll be in Acadia NP the second week of October but would also like to spend some time photographing the rocky coastline. I've been told that almost all the coastline is privately owned and access is not readily available. Is this true? Any suggestions as to good photo spots?

Thanks.
Mark

mshea

Re: Maine Coast
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »

It's true that a lot of the coast is privately owned, but keep in mind that anything below the high tide line—even on so-called "private property"—is public domain. That being said, there are loads of wonderful places to explore. Mount Desert Island alone should keep you pretty busy. Definitely buy the DeLorme Maine Atlas; very useful for back roads and points of interest.

Although I've never taken them, there are excursion boats that go out to the islands in Frenchman's Bay.

There's a lot to explore further up the coast ("Down East"). The Schoodic Peninsula—the next peninsula going east—is part of Acadia. Further down east, there's the Jonesport area with some nice nature preserves, also Petite Manan and Grand Manan Islands. Check out http://www.fws.gov/northeast/mainecoastal/

Just west of Mount Desert is a wonderful peninsula-cum-islands with many small towns, real Down East feel, lots to shoot. Stonington is my favorite, Blue Hill is more artsy. A spectacular view of the whole Penobscot Bay from a high pull-off on Rt....175, I think, but I could be wrong. And there's a beautiful little Nature Conservancy plot called "Barred Island" on the western side of Deer Isle near Stonington and the hamlet of Sunset (gotta hunt around a bit for it, but it's shown on the Delorme map).

Bar Harbor can be a tourist trap. It won't be so bad in October, but there will still be plenty of people about, especially if the fall colors are good.

Have fun!
Merrill

framah

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:41 am »

Lots of good places mentioned and I second Schoodic Peninsula!! Trust me, if you go there, you can spend the whole day on the rocks and probably not even make it to the point. Check tide charts so you can go when the tide is low or going in or out. That's when you'll get to the really good stuff. High tide can pretty much cover all of the rocks if it is also a full moon.
I rarely go to the big island as it is too crowded but Schoodic is great anytime. You should also be hitting the colors at the peak along the coast around that time.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mark F

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:43 am »

Thanks Merrill and framah. A lot of good ideas.  Along with Acadia itself this should be enough to keep me busy for a week. Now if the weather will cooperate....
Mark

framah

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »

Rainy days are good also as the leaves have been washed of the dust and their colors really come out. Everything looks better wet! ...except maybe a 5D !! :D :D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »

Thanks Merrill and framah.  Your information is timely, as I'm planning an October trip as well.

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

Just west of Mount Desert is a wonderful peninsula-cum-islands with many small towns, real Down East feel, lots to shoot. Stonington is my favorite, Blue Hill is more artsy. A spectacular view of the whole Penobscot Bay from a high pull-off on Rt....175, I think, but I could be wrong. And there's a beautiful little Nature Conservancy plot called "Barred Island" on the western side of Deer Isle near Stonington and the hamlet of Sunset (gotta hunt around a bit for it, but it's shown on the Delorme map).

Bar Harbor can be a tourist trap. It won't be so bad in October, but there will still be plenty of people about, especially if the fall colors are good.

I've been going to Maine on and off for 20 years and agree with Merrill.  Deer Isle/Stonington area is my favorite.  I always found Bar Harbor/Acadia too crowded and too in your face.  Won't be so bad in October.

If you are looking to go further afield it's worth the drive down to Stonington.

I'm more of a built-environment than a pure nature photographer but most of the images in the Personal Work > Maine Gallery on my web site are from Deer Isle & Stonington.  A few in the Personal Work > Family gallery as well.

Mark F

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

A short update. I've just returned from a week at Acadia NP and as of Saturday the foliage was just reaching peak. The big storm that hit the New England did not strip the trees of their leaves, but it did allow some dramatic shots of huge waves exploding against the rocky shore line. I had never seen such huge waves before and was glad that I was not at sea.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up