Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color for the web  (Read 2463 times)

Roger Calixto

Color for the web
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:23:52 am »

I searched through the forum (I love the new search features / layout btw) and found some comments about this but no dedicated post. I would like to create a decent web experience for my users. What is the best way to go about doing that, considering I  also want to print my same pictures. Calibration for both is quite different I suppose. Currently I have a 2 monitor system, one profiled for printing (6500/2.2/100) where I do all my LR / PS work and another where I do everything else (like surf the web). My second monitor is calibrated to native white point 2.2/120.

Do I have to edit my photos for both environments? Should I calibrate my second monitor to something different?

What's the best way to go about this?

TIA
Roger
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:25:42 am by Roger Calixto »
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

WombatHorror

Re: Color for the web
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:09 am »

web standard is sRGB/REC 709 primaries, D65, and sRGB tone response curve (similar to Gamma 2.2 but ever brighter the deeper into shadows you go, if you view and sRGB image in photoshop (color managed) and then in IE (non-managed; on your screen calibrated to 2.2) you will notice a bit of a difference.

within all month all browsers should be color-managed and you could post in AdobeRGB or whatnot so people with wide gamuts could see more (with warning), although for any sort of general site that is not a good idea yet at all (and even for photos you might want to make the wide gamut galleries special additional ones if you put them up right now)

anyway for editing just set gamma 2.2, D65, native gamut of monitor profiled and edit in 16bits per channel ProphotoRGB and then save out copies as needed in sRGB if you want

my monitor is wide gamut, i have the sRGB emulation mode set to sRGB primaries/D65/sRGB TRC

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

I would like to create a decent web experience for my users

Unless you can guarantee that your users will all be viewing your images using calibrated monitors and using web browsers that have colour management, it's unfortunately never going to work for you.  Use sRGB for web, keep the ppi at 100 or less because anything else is a waste of storage space, and live with it...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Roger Calixto

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:06 am »

Yeah, I know there is no "ideal" and I just have to live with it. But, I imagine that if I post my images processed at 6500/2.2/100 they are going to look washed out to most people. Is there a simple way to avoid this, or at least make a "general" improvement?
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »

"Is there a simple way to avoid this, or at least make a "general" improvement?"

Yes, kinda sorta maybe..

Here's the thing.  Even if you set you calibration to sRGB, process in sRGB, and post those files tagged with the sRGB color space.. there will still be a significant difference when you view it in your browser.. even on the same machine you processed the image on.

For some, especially those of us who maintain websites and get our prints made at a lab that uses sRGB Fuji Frontier (or like sRGB machines) getting a 100% match has always been sort of the holy grail.

Depending on your monitor, your calibration hardware/software, your skill.. you can get varying degrees of "closeness" and this is what most have lived with.

What happens is some 'stray' amount of color outside the sRGB gamut makes it through no matter how hard we try and this puts a cast over the image.  When you get this far, you might see on your browser what you see in your image software.. but on another computer all bets are off.

Recently.. the last few years.. I'm of the opinion manufacturers are doing much better at shipping laptops and PC's with a very close to sRGB profile already active.. keeping in mind that the average laptop LCD probably renders less than 65% of the gamut anyway.. so while the on-line world full of average joes aren't profiled.. they probably have machines which are pretty close..

However.. now we have better tools.  We have displays with "sRGB emulation" mode that sort of clamp down on the sRGB gamut not letting those stray colors get by.  I find them very accurate.. I can now process, print, and view on the web 100% the same.  However, I'm limited to the sRGB gamut.  If I want to take advantage of Prophoto (a wider gamut than even Adobe98) then I can switch to that, process, print in house or our of house to someone who uses Prophoto, and then switch back again to sRGB with the click of a mouse.

So.. if you really want this.. I think it will take an investment in a proper/compatible monitor.

Now that I've went this route I've received many kudo's from my website viewers saying the colors look much better to them.. and most of my viewers are basic and don't yet have profiled monitors.  My laptops while not spot on.. are extremely close.  Clamping down on the gamut seems to translate well to other machines.

So yes.. you can get what you're asking for.  But perhaps not with your current equipment.. which you never did say what it was?

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

WombatHorror

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:57:35 am »

Yeah, I know there is no "ideal" and I just have to live with it. But, I imagine that if I post my images processed at 6500/2.2/100 they are going to look washed out to most people. Is there a simple way to avoid this, or at least make a "general" improvement?

first off if you post sRGB you are not posting gamma 2.2 files but sRGB TRC files and when people view then on likely gamma 2.2 or even 2.3 or 2.4 monitors in something un-managed like IE they will actually look a bit darker and more contrasty than you see then in photoshop which will display them as sRGB TRC even on your monitor set to 2.2

you may be editing at gamma 2.2 in native gamut or whatever but when photoshop stores the photos as sRGB it converts to that gamut AND tone response curve.

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:05:26 am »

keep the ppi at 100 or less because anything else is a waste of storage space

PPI is meaningless until you go to print. When you're dealing with display you only have the pixel dimensions.

See my article http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/ for more details.
Pages: [1]   Go Up