Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FL Keys or Everglades?  (Read 4045 times)

walkerr

• www.geo-vista.com
FL Keys or Everglades?
« on: September 24, 2002, 08:57:48 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Eric,

My son and I took a trip down to the Everglades and the Keys last year.  Coincidentally, it was also over New Year's, so I think I can offer some thoughts.  We had a great time, but definitely found certain areas to be much richer photographically than others.

If I were in your situation and had an interest in nature photography, I would absolutely pick the Everglades.  We were completely blown away by the incredible variety of birdlife, most of it very accessible and easy to photograph.  Shark Valley was a wonderful place to shoot (probably worth a couple of trips), as was Eco Pond (near Flamingo) and the Anhinga Trail.  There were a number of other locations that were rich with subjects, but those three were particularly nice.  They tend to be pretty popular, but the crowds weren't bad in early January.  As is often the case, early morning and sunset tend to be the most photogenic, but you can find good subjects all day.

You'll want to have a 80-200 zoom for close up subjects and a 400mm+ lens for ones at more moderate distances.  A 1.4x teleconverter is also essential.  Needless to say, a good tripod is essential.

Weatherwise, it was very nice.  Temperature were generally in the seventies, and we experienced only a little bit of rain. It was frequently overcast, but that just gave us softer lighting for photogrpahing birds and alligators. We only ran into problems with mosquitos once; we rented a canoe in Flamingo and were eaten alive.

If you go to the Keys, it's a different experience.  Good nature subjects aren't as plentiful, but Key West has character (and a lot of tourist traps).  For a different experience, is take a seaplane down to Dry Tortugas National Park for snorkeling and touring the Civil War-era Fort Jefferson.  Fort Jefferson is a neat subject and worth seeing if you get down that way.  My preference is still for the Everglades, though.

I hope you have a great trip.  We really enjoyed ours and plan to return to the Everglades in Jan 2004.  Feel free to e-mail me at if you have any questions.[/font]
Rick

walkerr

• www.geo-vista.com
FL Keys or Everglades?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 10:34:37 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Eric,

We spent three days in the Everglades and three days in the Keys + one day at Biscayne National Park.  Those were definitely the minimum amounts I would suggest. If you can do more, there are plenty of subjects to fill your time.[/font]
Rick

Eric

FL Keys or Everglades?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 04:11:26 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I planned to be in South Florida during the New Year's for some fishing/diving. I have a few days free and considering taking a photo trip. Of Key West and the Everglades which one is better for photography? How long should I expect to spend? and what kind of weather is it like during that time of the year? Any special location you would recommend?

Thanks a ton![/font]

Eric

FL Keys or Everglades?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 10:24:05 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']walkerr,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! How many days did you spend at each location (Everglades and Key West)? How many days in reality would it be needed to go through them at a reasonable pace?

Much appreciated![/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up