Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Prograf 6100 - printing 1/4 " short on canvas - how to adjust  (Read 2744 times)

Bullfrog

I'm using Canon water resistant canvas on a Canon Printer and have measured several canvases ranging in size from 32x24 to 38x24 - all are printing about 1/4" short on the long side (ie 31.75 instead of 32 and 37.75 instead of 38).

This "shrink" is before coating (I'm using Eco Print Shield) - I coated a canvas last night and it did not affect the finished size.

Some are gallery wrapped with image bleeding so its not an issue.  But some are being printed with a white border (for framing) - so I need the image to print exactly the size I require.

How do people recommend fixing this? I could increase the image size using CS4 but just wonder if that is what others do and is this common on Canon printers (I see several threads on Epson but nothing so far on Canon)
Thank you

Doyle Yoder

Re: Image Prograf 6100 - printing 1/4 " short on canvas - how to adjust
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »

On the printer menu under Paper Detail for the paper/media you are using for canvas set Feed Priority to Print Length. Then do a Adjust Printer/Adjust Length or in the Paper Detail for the paper/media under Adjust Length increase the feed amount.

Doyle

Bullfrog

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:45:05 am »

Thank you - :)

Bullfrog

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »

Not sure if I'm having a printer problem or if I am just impatient - but I re-set the print priority to "printer length" and adjusted printer lenght to + 2% in the paper details - and I've been waiting several minutes for the printer to print.

The job quequed as per normal set up and then the data light flashes...its still flashing but nothing beyond that ...and nothing coming out. 

Is this normal to wait over 5 minutes ?

Bullfrog

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:42:23 am »

Update - it was 15 minutes later, still nothing so I cancelled the job.  I did try "Adjust printer" setting which when you toggle to "yes" automatically creates a test print (which consumes a ton more paper... ::) anyway, at the end of this it allows you to enter an adjustment - I entered +2% - then printed my canvas...which seem to take several minutes but anyway, it came out still 1/4" too short.

Any experience with the feed priority and printer length setting (and how long it takes to actually print the image when these are selected) is appreciated...

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:12 am »

I don't have a Canon but print to an Epson wide format and have found this with canvas. Any canvas I print to does shrink in the running length. At first I adjusted the feed adjustment which is similar to what you are trying to do on your Canon. But then I was getting strange things happening like paper skew. I then experimented by just stroking an area to see how much shrinkage I was getting. I found that the shrinkage only comes in to play when the ink is laid down. If I just stroked the same area (made a big square) and did not fill but only had an outline, there was absolutely no shrinkage. When I printed an image the same size there was shrinkage. I now just adjust and add length for shrinkage in the running length and add for the shrinkage that takes place after I coat.

Bullfrog

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:55 am »

Its nice to know others share my pain. (Smile)

I will have to tinker (did I mention I hate tinkering) - but yes, it is no doubt a combination of the ink and the medium because I dont have the problem with watercolour paper.

The issue for me in scaling the image longer is that to maintain a fixed aspect ratio - I will presumably also have it wider and currently, my width is not a problem....

I think you advice is sound - I will have to just make adjustments in Photoshop and not expect the printer to manage this.
Thanks

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »

Update - it was 15 minutes later, still nothing so I cancelled the job.  I did try "Adjust printer" setting which when you toggle to "yes" automatically creates a test print (which consumes a ton more paper... ::) anyway, at the end of this it allows you to enter an adjustment - I entered +2% - then printed my canvas...which seem to take several minutes but anyway, it came out still 1/4" too short.

Any experience with the feed priority and printer length setting (and how long it takes to actually print the image when these are selected) is appreciated...

Being short a 1/4" your probably going to need to set +.70 about 2 times maybe three. I have the iPF9000 so I am not sure if the feed length adjustment is exactly the same on the iPF6100. If you pull up printer information in your driver, under status it will tell you what your total + or - settings are. I have never seen a delay caused by adjusting feed length.

Doyle
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:50:31 pm by Doyle Yoder »

Bullfrog

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »

I think my problem is me (smile) ie - I learned in another thread here that perhaps it is not the feeder but my custom size set up which screwed me up.

Anyway, just to respond:

1.  My 6100 only allows increments of 2%
2.  I have no idea why the delay - but honestly, I spent over an hour on two separate days trying - to the same end.  It quequed it - did everything as before, then the data light flashed...but (normally) after a few seconds of "flashing" the printer display panel changes to say something like "printing xyz image"...

The printer display never "activated"...and it was getting late, I was tired, and 15 minutes seemed ridiculous.

My normal print time is about 156 seconds (I checked the printer details) - so something is not right - but I cannot rule out me making some error ...although I don't know what I could have done wrong - it seemed straightforward.

Anyway, thanks for the insight - this is good information for reference because the troubleshooting section in my manual is pretty simplistic (it says if the printer doesn't print - its becasue you haven't turned it on ::)....makes me look like a pro..ha!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up