Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overfeed in epson 4000  (Read 1803 times)

dennmorr

Overfeed in epson 4000
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:41:44 am »

My Epson 4000 is using an extra 12'' or so of roll canvas on each print -i set the edge of the canvas at the "other" mark and it still spits out the extra canvas. I tried moving it back  and it moves it forward to the same point.
Any ideas?
Dennis

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Overfeed in epson 4000
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:00:57 pm »

My Epson 4000 is using an extra 12'' or so of roll canvas on each print -i set the edge of the canvas at the "other" mark and it still spits out the extra canvas. I tried moving it back  and it moves it forward to the same point.
Any ideas?
Dennis
By "extra" do you mean about 6" on each side (12" total) or is it more like 12" on each side?  It is normal to have quite a bit of excess canvas, since I assume you have selected roll paper/no cut mode.  Typically with canvas quite a bit extra isn't an issue since it is being wrapped/stretched.  So if it's 12" total, probably normal and your only choice is to use the "cut" mode which will use much less (not enough to stretch but fine if you are mounting directly).  having the printer cut the canvas will wear the blade out in your 4000 but they are user replaceable.  Assuming the 4000 is even capable of cutting canvas. So try it at your own risk ...

dennmorr

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:50 pm »

It is using about about 12-14 inches on the "before" side. the manual says to set the end of the roll paper on the "other" mark. if I try to set it behind the other mark the machine cycles the paper forward even farther. i'm thinking of just cutting the roll canvas into sheets since I am wasting close to 70% on a 16 x 20 print.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:38 am »

Epson's generous margins can be defeated by setting the ROLL/SHEET button to SHEET, then when you get the READY light on the LCD, switch back to ROLL.

Jerry

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:26 am »

I had a similar issue with an Epson 4000 several years ago (when 4000s were a current model).  After a firmware upgrade it started feeding a much larger than normal amount of "leader" on roll media.  I just lived with it (and cussed a lot) and waited for another firmware fix.  The next firmware didn't fix it.  In a fit of trying anything I did a full reset of the machine via the menu commands.  That solved the problem.  I had been through every item in those menus numerous times looking for a rogue setting and could never find one.  But a full reset solved the issue.

Bob Smith

dennmorr

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:55 am »

Thanks- I'll give that a shot!
Dennis

dennmorr

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:32 pm »

Jerry,
It worked perfectly -thanks
Dennis