Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Thoughts on the H3DII-31 and the Emerging "Entry-Level" MF Market  (Read 7493 times)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Some Thoughts on the H3DII-31 and the Emerging "Entry-Level" MF Market
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 07:32:41 am »

1 frame per 1.2 seconds is mighty slow for weddings. Sometimes (Bouquet toss, tears flowing, kids running) you need faster processing than what it allows.
¿You remember when we could speed things up by getting the optional rapid lever wind crank, so we could wind on our Hasselblads with one turn instead of fiddling with the standard knob?

...then, of course we eventually got the ELD motor-driven 'blad, but we still had to know when to press the button, and get it right first time.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:51 am »

¿You remember when we could speed things up by getting the optional rapid lever wind crank, so we could wind on our Hasselblads with one turn instead of fiddling with the standard knob?

...then, of course we eventually got the ELD motor-driven 'blad, but we still had to know when to press the button, and get it right first time.

Oh you old salty vets :)  Yeah, things are easier in some ways now.. but the pressure of the day will never change ;)

ondebanks

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »

Hi Matt,

a little remark, about the "amplified selective focus effect (bigger sensors make for smaller depth of focus)"

In practice, 35mm does better here with its very fast lenses (MF lenses stop at F2.8 whereas 35mm equivalent FOV offerings are in range F1.2-1.4), what concerns depth of field. I have seen mentioned though that the MF results somewhat more pleasant focus fall-off.

Take care,
Ivar

Ivar, you're not doing justice to MF! Off the top of my head, we have 80/1.9, 80/2, 110/2, 100/2.2, and 105/2.4 SLR lenses...there may be other speedsters that I haven't recalled.

If you're filling the format, the 80/1.9, 80/2 and 105/2.4 all equal a 50/1.2 on 35mm, in terms of wide open depth of field and angular coverage. The 110/2 on 6x6 is in a class of its own; the corresponding lens in 35mm would have to be around 60mm f1.1!

So I'd have to agree with Matt's take on it.

Ray
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up