Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A century of color photography of Prokudin-Gorsky (link)  (Read 2348 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
A century of color photography of Prokudin-Gorsky (link)
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:45:29 pm »

http://quazen.com/arts/photography/the-incredible-century-old-color-photography-of-prokudin-gorsky/

I found this site interesting. The photographer went across Russia in the early 1900's making photographic images in color
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:00:22 pm by larryg »

jeremypayne

Re: A century of color photography of Prokudin-Gorsky (link)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:03 pm »

Check out this conversation we had last year ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=37705.0

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:13:46 pm »

Wow, amazing photographs - pity about the extremely poor writing in the article. It would be nice to see these in person.

I wonder if it's a coincidence he used RGB and we still use it, whether there's a technical reason to use those colors, or if modern RGB separation is a direct descendant of the technologies from a hundred years ago.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:32:25 pm »

I missed it last year.  But how interesting is this.    I would also like to understand how the three filters were used with a large format.  I am assuming  he held a different filter (times 3) while the subject held very still, all in one continuos shot (either that or shot three different images with the different filters and then merged in darkroom)

What amazes me is how (back in 1909+)  he ended up with very vivid color images.  They look like they were taken recently.

feppe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »

I missed it last year.  But how interesting is this.    I would also like to understand how the three filters were used with a large format.  I am assuming  he held a different filter (times 3) while the subject held very still, all in one continuos shot (either that or shot three different images with the different filters and then merged in darkroom)

What amazes me is how (back in 1909+)  he ended up with very vivid color images.  They look like they were taken recently.

Trying to decipher the poorly written write-up it appears that he did shoot three distinct exposures with RGB filters. For displaying the color photos he projected the shots using three projectors with each of them having corresponding RGB filters, not unlike a slide show (not Lightroom slideshow, a proper Velvia slideshow :P). (edit: Wikipedia confirms this, uncited as usual.) What the article doesn't mention is how they produced the postcards (which were apparently like SMSs are these days).

I'm also shocked how vivid the images look, and need to check if there's an exchibition nearby.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:55:48 pm by feppe »

jeremypayne

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:46 pm »

"I'm also shocked how vivid the images look, and need to check if there's an exhibition nearby."

Harri ... come on by my place next time you are in NYC ... I printed several of the ones I 'restored' on 13x19 GFS - they look terrific!

feppe

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:42:08 pm »

"I'm also shocked how vivid the images look, and need to check if there's an exhibition nearby."

Harri ... come on by my place next time you are in NYC ... I printed several of the ones I 'restored' on 13x19 GFS - they look terrific!

Thanks - next definite trip to east coast is a year from now, but I'll keep that in mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up