Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need battery flash?  (Read 1458 times)

NigelC

Do I need battery flash?
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:05 am »

I am planning to branch into social photography on location, i.e. in or around people's homes. I was looking at the Elinchrom Ranger Quadra, but v. expensive when you want more than 2 lights, i.e. 2 sets. For example, Lastolite Hi-Lite background really needs 2 lights all of its own to get a really even high key effect.
My question was really about whether it is considered acceptable to plug into your clients own sockets? Using monoblocs is cheaper and much more flexible when wireless triggered, and the attachments for accessories are more robust. I feel I can do outside location stuff with available light or a couple of speedlights.

Just interested if anyone has any experience in this area?

Dick Roadnight

Re: Do I need battery flash?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:51 pm »

The Metz handle-grip battery lights are OK, but not cheap either.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »

It is absolutely okay to plug lights into the electrical outlets at the client location. Before the advent of powerful battery systems, this was the only way to shoot. Just make sure you choose lights that won't trip the circuit breakers (ask me how I know this...) The advantage of AC lights are better recycle times, better shot-to-shot consistency, more power if needed, and lower cost. For the cost of a single pack and head battery system, I can buy three Alien Bees 800 monobloc units.

You might still need a battery system -- I use mine when I need to shoot somewhere that doesn't have convenient power outlets -- but they should not be necessary for indoor shooting in a home or office.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:32:08 pm »

It is absolutely okay to plug lights into the electrical outlets at the client location. Before the advent of powerful battery systems, this was the only way to shoot. Just make sure you choose lights that won't trip the circuit breakers (ask me how I know this...) The advantage of AC lights are better recycle times, better shot-to-shot consistency, more power if needed, and lower cost. For the cost of a single pack and head battery system, I can buy three Alien Bees 800 monobloc units.

You might still need a battery system -- I use mine when I need to shoot somewhere that doesn't have convenient power outlets -- but they should not be necessary for indoor shooting in a home or office.
My 4 Elinchrome 1500's tend to blow trips, but not fuses... and, if you have them,m battery, lights can save time.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

That's encouraging.I was thinking of a couple of BRXi 500's and then a relatively low powered (and cheap) DLite4 2-head kit for the backgrounds but also for extra effects when not doing high key. The nice thing about the Elinchrom's is the built in wireless trigger - a lot cheaper than the add on devices.

Any feelings about Bowens lights v Elinchroms?

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

The strobist has some very interesting portable flash solutions. Check him out here:

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Tom Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up