Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Monitor as Second Display?  (Read 2456 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Travel Monitor as Second Display?
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »

Ever since I discovered the power of my 2.5 pound x201s Thinkpad.. especially equipped with a SSD and 8g's of RAM.. I've wanted to use it for more than it's current uses (captures, lightweight business notebook).  It's 12.1 inch screen is too small for my taste for processing images, so I started thinking of a travel monitor.  

Something that's thin, if my 50" plasma can be 1.1 inches thick then so can a 19-20 inch LCD computer panel.  I'd like it to have a fold out stand (like a picture frame) or something separate like a small stand.  And of course in my dreams I'd like it to be IPS, matte, have built in hardware LUT's, and all that good stuff.. but really I'd settle for a decent monitor to run as a second monitor that would be "close enough" color wise..

I'd want it to be sturdy enough to ride in the bottom of my carry-on size roll-a-round with maybe a thick piece of cardboard or a thin piece of plexi to protect it.. I could put it in a pillowcase to protect it from scratches..

Something usable would be great, and if they make the perfect item and it costs 5x as much then I'd get that.. but something along these lines.

Currently on the road I'm taking two laptops.  A 17" Dell Mobile Precision Workstation, and my 12" x201s Thinkpad.. I use the Thinkpad for email and any sort of capture related task in the field.. and the Dell for processing images back at the room.  Now that this years x201s 2.5 pound laptop is significantly more powerful and faster than last years 17" Precision.. why carry around a 8 pound notebook with a 17" screen, when I can probably find a 2-3 pound 20" panel and have a two monitor setup to work with?

Any recommendations?  So far the best I can find is this one..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:59 pm »

Cue an army of iPad converts in 3... 2...

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:19:29 am »

Quote from: feppe
Cue an army of iPad converts in 3... 2...
Nah.. actually I think using a small 8-9 inch super glossy ipad a that price is not very effective at all..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up