Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cruse Camera- some videos in action  (Read 10540 times)

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Re: The Cruse Camera- some videos in action
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:19 pm »

So can you do a 12x8 foot painting say in 4 scans stitched or will there be a column or some other physical limitation in the way?   

When I do repro work in the galleries, I sometimes can get away with the 16 shot mode which only gives me 10880 pixels x 8160.     Getting even lighting on the small stuff is easy, but much harder to do with the bigger pieces or at least I don't know how to do it.

yep!  There's a column on the back, like a huge copystand-type, which is around 44" from the center of the table, but any way you turn the work, you can stitch it together.
Ted Dillard

BobDavid

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »

In regard to the discussion about the software that drives the Cruse scanner, I didn't mean to imply that you've got much to deal with from an operational standpoint. However, there is software embedded in the hardware along with the application you use on the PC. Just as there is software embedded in the hardware of a digital camera.

I had an opportunity to purchase a Cruse scanner awhile back, but opted for a multi-shot solution instead, just like the Tate Gallery, The National Portrait Gallery, The Albers Foundation and scores of other institutions.

I began my repro career shooting 8 X 10 chromes and negs using quartz lights with CC gels for various art and academic institutions. In the old days we bought large batches of uncalibrated film stock that we optimized for our E-6 and C41 machines. It's not fun keeping an E-6 line up and running. Digital technology has really taken repro to a much higher level of fidelity as far as resolution, gamut, and dynamic range. I find that digital technology is also a lot easier to manage.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:50:12 pm by BobDavid »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »

I'm concerned about the color fringing and lack of sharpness in the 100% crop. USM is not an answer to sharpness. This is why MS backs are the best way to go. There is nothing better than a sharp image to start with.

Thank you for providing all this information though.

teddillard

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 09:09:06 am »

Sorry, not really sure what you're referring to, but I can assure you there's no color fringing whatsoever in the original scan, and I can't really see it here- (edit- downloading the sample posted here and talking a look at 500%, I do see some slight aliasing on the type- again, not visible in the actual scan.  I'm not at all clear on why that's happening.) and applying USM to any digital capture- single shot MFDB, multi-shot or tri-linear scan-  is an absolute necessity.  This scan, when USM is applied, can resolve down to the texture of the imperfections of the ink on the Colorchecker.  (AND the dust!  :o )

Refer back to what USM does- it defines borders, or boundaries between values of neighboring pixels.  If there is no boundary, there's nothing that it can do to sharpen.  That is, if the image has no ability to resolve an edge, USM will not sharpen that image.  That is, to refer back to what you're saying, if the shot isn't sharp, USM isn't going to help it.  

Every single digital capture device I've ever used, from the Leaf DCBII, the Betterlight, on through to DSLRs and the current major lines of MFDB, multi-shot and single shot- needs USM.  I simply didn't apply it here to eliminate it as a variable for you.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:21:49 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

teddillard

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:25 pm »

It's been a while...  I've been wrestling with exactly how to explain the lighting system, and if you can believe it, it's taken me this long!   :o

However, I think I have just about the simplest and most understandable explanation I can figure posted on the blog now.  Have a look:
"The Secret of the Cruse? One Word. Lighting."

Here's the basic jist of it:

Conventional lights:

The Cruse lights:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:36:28 pm by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

BryanEdwards

• Bryan Edwards Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:52 pm »

Can't the evenness of the Cruse lighting technique be obtained using features similar to Capture One's LCC tool, or programs such as HP Artist?
http://blog.phaseone.com/2010/10/21/flat-art-reproduction/

Personally I have found a Betterlight coupled with HP Artist Software can produce stunning reproductions with little effort using only one light to bring out the texture of the work.

I guess I am just confused if this Cruse lighting technique can just be emulated in software.

BobDavid

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:12 am »

Good description of the Cruse lighting system!

teddillard

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 10:14:54 am »

Can't the evenness of the Cruse lighting technique be obtained using features similar to Capture One's LCC tool, or programs such as HP Artist?
http://blog.phaseone.com/2010/10/21/flat-art-reproduction/

Personally I have found a Betterlight coupled with HP Artist Software can produce stunning reproductions with little effort using only one light to bring out the texture of the work.

I guess I am just confused if this Cruse lighting technique can just be emulated in software.

That's a common contention, Bryan, but I'd suggest you read the entire post.  Take a look at the sample shots I just posted too.  It's simply not something that you can map out with software...  believe me, I've tried.  :)

As far as easy production goes, scanning with the Cruse is as simple as running a flatbed.  Prescan, determine lighting, crop, set resolution and scan.  No workarounds. 
Ted Dillard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up