Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinat ArTech Review  (Read 2094 times)

AlanRussell

• http://www.zedphoto.com
Sinat ArTech Review
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:04:24 am »

Thanks to Michael for yet another useful review of a nice piece of kit.

Two points I'd like to clarify:

Can tilt/swing be applied at other than 90 degree rotation of the lens panel?

Is there a method provided (as on Arca cameras with an adaptor) of mounting the camera on a tripod so that the lens stays still and stitching movements are essentially back shifts not lens panel shifts? - otherwise it's use as a stitching camera is a bit more limited.

Alan

tho_mas

Sinat ArTech Review
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »

Thanks for the review, Michael!

I really like this camera a lot and would own one already... if it was available for Contax mount and if Sinar would offer Schneider Digitar lenses (officially only Rodenstock lenses are supported).

As to the concept of the arTec I'd rather say its uniqueness lies in the integrated sliding back as the camera seems to be designed "around" it.
Besides, the Cambo WRS is clearly smaller and lighter and also provides the full range of movements - of course only if you take the TS lens panels into account (so strictly speaking TS is not an integrated feature of the WRS camera body). It doesn't have a sliding back, though.

The only (little) thing I miss on the arTec is an indication (in millimeters) of the lens rise/fall movements on the rear (or the right side) of the camera.
You have to look at the front of the camera to read the indication. Not a big deal but it would be usefull...

Quote from: AlanRussell
Can tilt/swing be applied at other than 90 degree rotation of the lens panel?
360° free rotation. So you can use tilt and swing, not only tilt or swing. However there are soft locks every 90 degrees.

Is there a method provided (as on Arca cameras with an adaptor) of mounting the camera on a tripod so that the lens stays still and stitching movements are essentially back shifts not lens panel shifts?
no

otherwise it's use as a stitching camera is a bit more limited
maybe.
At least a horizontal composition with the back rotated vertical and shifted left/right to make a 2 way stitch is uncritcal.
Too, current stitching software is so good that I guess both lens and back movements combined are maybe not a big deal...?
However, to me the camera does not seem to be primarly desinged for stitching. It is rather designed for a straight forward workflow aimed at the composition of single shots... IMO.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:51:16 pm by tho_mas »

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Re: Sinat ArTech Review
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:58:36 pm »

Yes, great review.

I especially like the video reviews. They really work for me.

dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up