Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon MF Rumor  (Read 20570 times)

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:12:19 am »

Bronica always used to be good kit. If Canon could revive Bronica ...

jbaxendell

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:59 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill

Or Contax...

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:35:46 pm »

I vote for Hanza
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:13:26 pm by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Rob C

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill

Really? I only ever owned a single Bronica camera - the GS1 (the 6x7 thing) and never again.

I bought it with a 250, 100 and 50 (or was it 55?) lenses, all new, and the only thing that was beautiful was the 100 lens. The wide one was an unmitigated disaster at the sides and the mirror up function never worked. It was only used on a tripod.

I bought the thing on a trip back to the UK and got rid of it on the next.  Money down the drain. But, it was lightweight.

On the other hand, I heard good things about the 645 outfit...

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:25:54 am by Rob C »

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:06:23 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Really? I only ever owned a single Bronica camera - the GS1 (the 6x7 thing) and never again.

I bought it with a 250, 100 and 50 (or was it 55?) lenses, all new, and the only thing that was beautiful was the 100 lens. The wide one was an unmitigated disaster at the sides and the mirror up function never worked. It was only used on a tripod.

I bought the thing on a trip back to the UK and got rid of it on the next.  Money down the drain. But, it was lightweight.

On the other hand, I head good things about the 645 outfit...

Rob C

I had the 645 system with many lenses but when on a landscape photo trip I was made fun of for the piece of junk I was carrying.  It really did a decent job but it wasn't a Hasselblad I guess?

Great system for the money, imo

JoeKitchen

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »

We talking about just a back here, or a camera that has a medium format sized chip?  If it was just a back (that had the ability to mount to any medium format camera body) then I would be interested.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:51:58 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
We talking about just a back here, or a camera that has a medium format sized chip?  If it was just a back (that had the ability to mount to any medium format camera body) then I would be interested.

Well, at least with any body which is in an open system like any Phase One or Mamiya body.

We've seen these Canon and Nikon MF rumors for a long time. Not saying it can't or won't happen (though my bet is against it) but just a cautionary to those who might be new to the forum that this is not the first (or second, or third...) time a rumor has been spread that Canon or Nikon will introduce a larger than 35mm camera.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:55:29 pm by dougpetersonci »

jduncan

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:57:17 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Well, at least with any body which is in an open system like any Phase One or Mamiya body.

We've seen these Canon and Nikon MF rumors for a long time. Not saying it can't or won't happen (though my bet is against it) but just a cautionary to those who might be new to the forum that this is not the first (or second, or third...) time a rumor has been spread that Canon or Nikon will introduce a larger than 35mm camera.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
Canon does have the technology, but I am not sure that they have the business motive (BM). Some BMs could be:
1. The Leica is eating Canon's  Lunch (not likely)
2. They found a fundamental tech limit and there is a big market  for more megapixels. Scaling the sensor size is the only way to do it and remain competitive with Nikon noise wise.
3.  They know that they can build a MF system with almost no investment and build the systems very cheap so they want the extra profit.
4. Paranoia / me to syndrome :They are sure that Nikon is doing it and don't want to be left behind ?
5. They just hate Hasselblad like so many people I have met in the web  
Frankly If I were a Canon investor, they will have a hard time justifying to me why do they select to invest on a new MF. Right now the so called EVIL camera systems are pressing the SRLs were Canon is King. So investing in this two technologies appear to be a better bet. Even so, as they said: Who knows?

english is not my first language, an I k

bcooter

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci

I'm kind of fascinated by this open system thing.  Yes the Mamiya takes other backs but I doubt seriously if it was Phase's main purpose to make a camera for other makers digital backs and since the Mamiya in it's many versions has been around a long time, I doubt if it would go over very well if they had closed the system.

But all of this seems to be kind of a mute point because I'm rarely anywhere I can't buy or rent an H-1/2 or a Contax and that includes the recent three cities I've just traveled to.  

I didn't check but I wonder if renting a DF in LA, Chicago and Detroit is easy, though I should say again, I haven't checked, then again medium format cameras (not backs but cameras) seem to last a very long time before they are outdated.

In regards to Canon making a larger than 24x36 camera who knows, but I also would place a guess that regardless of the frame size the next big camera thing will be an EVIL viewfinder camera that can shoot stills and (excuse me because I know everyone here hates this word) VIDEO.

I know there are a lot of rumors out there, always has been since digital film has taken over, though I also know that a few of the rumors out there will happen and some probably shake up the high end camera world even more.

We'll see.

I do know the last portfolio we showed was on an i-pad and the interest in the motion imagery was equal or greater than the still imagery, so it stands to reason that EVIL is on the way.

IMO

BC

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:53:49 pm »

What does EVIL mean?  Jim

JoeKitchen

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

Personally, I doubt this will ever happen.  And if it does, I doubt they will make a back, but a camera body with a medium format chip.  Thus making it virtually useless to us architectural shooters who use technical cameras.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

jduncan

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:12 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
What does EVIL mean?  Jim
EVIL Camera = Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens.
You replace the optical an electronic one. No mirror, one moving part less.

revaaron

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 01:30:13 am »

Quote from: jduncan
2. They found a fundamental tech limit and there is a big market  for more megapixels. Scaling the sensor size is the only way to do it and remain competitive with Nikon noise wise.

nope. look at what canon mostly makes 7D and 1D's. both of these stuff more pixels than nikon in a smaller space.  Nikon would be the one doing this if they could.  Canon bne the one to make a 645 with a 1.3 crop.

I have a feeling that if they did anything the reason is for
1) video
2) http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/red-sca...ics-fast-focus/

are you guys avid event photographers?  Go out and look at a concert, all the canon's are shooting video and the nikons are shooting photographs.  I went to a 4 day festival in maryland and only one canon person I know what shooting photographs. the other 5+ people were just constantly shooting video from these DSLRs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:32:31 am by revaaron »

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 06:04:22 am »

I heard from people close to other people who work for the internet (well, more or less) that it is more than probable that there will be another Nikon-going-MF rumor within a few weeks, most likely just before, during or after the Fotokina.

Wouldn't that be a blow to the Canon rumor industry?
I don't have a signature.

ced

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 06:57:41 am »

A great opportunity to revive one of two great systems the Contax or the Rollei but they would want make and use their own lenses.
Always thought the pressure would arrive for 35mm format to grow up...

ondebanks

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:18 am »

Quote from: jduncan
Canon are significantly ahead of Nikon noise-wise.
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/evalua...1div/index.html

Plus, Canon knows how to treat the data from their sensors with scientific-grade respect. Unlike Nikon, Canon does not:
- clip the bias noise distribution to zero
- f*ck with (median filter) the RAWs in long exposures
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/NIK_CAN.HTM

So if either of them gets into the MF game, I would dearly hope it's Canon.

jduncan

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:02 am »

Quote from: revaaron
nope. look at what canon mostly makes 7D and 1D's. both of these stuff more pixels than nikon in a smaller space.  Nikon would be the one doing this if they could.  Canon bne the one to make a 645 with a 1.3 crop.

I have a feeling that if they did anything the reason is for
1) video
2) http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/red-sca...ics-fast-focus/

Yes, you are right.  In fact the 7D density is very high with good noise results.  The other day I was calculating that Canon can build an 47mpixel 35mm full frame sensor with good noise. That  will handle the S2 also. So other BM goes down.  If canon used something like this in a MF (48 x36 mm2, >94mpixels)  camera, even PhaseOne will go out, once Canon build trust on the MF space. Canon could use the fast ASICs they use for 35mm and kill everyone in the process.

Quote from: revaaron
are you guys avid event photographers?  Go out and look at a concert, all the canon's are shooting video and the nikons are shooting photographs.  I went to a 4 day festival in maryland and only one canon person I know what shooting photographs. the other 5+ people were just constantly shooting video from these DSLRs.

I am intrigued by that result.  Canon video is far ahead of Nikon's, but even as I shoot Nikon, canon cameras are very good. The reference to RED could be the BM.

BJNY

Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:42 am »

Guillermo

Erick Boileau

• http://
Canon MF Rumor
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:22 am »

I am happy if they can avoid that stupid 32 or 34 mp on the next 1DsMark IV and put then on a MF body
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up