Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blew Up My Sinar 54M - Doh !  (Read 6872 times)

Dennis Carbo

Blew Up My Sinar 54M - Doh !
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:21 am »

Well ...I finally did it....plugged my firewire cable in backwards this morning on a job and Poof !   crispy 54M.....sigh.........

Anyone ever done this before ?...Is it fixable and at what cost ?.

Sending back to sinar Monday !

Guess Im switchin back to my Film Magazines on the trusty Rollei 6008 for a while

Dennis

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:39 am »

Quote from: DENNISCARBO
Well ...I finally did it....plugged my firewire cable in backwards this morning on a job and Poof !   crispy 54M.....sigh.........

Anyone ever done this before ?...Is it fixable and at what cost ?.

Sending back to sinar Monday !

Guess Im switchin back to my Film Magazines on the trusty Rollei 6008 for a while

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

it has been talked about here  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=44579
Plugging in the FW cord backwards inverts the polarity of the power supply. There is kind of short circuit protection, but if the current rises to high it can cause serious damage. Sinar might repair without an initial charge but I don´t know. Good luck!

Cheers, Ulf

CBarrett

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:34:55 am »

I've been meaning for a while to put paint on one side of my FW cables as a safety...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I've been meaning for a while to put paint on one side of my FW cables as a safety...

Actually, you shouldn't be able to plug FW backwards; maybe camera corps should be using a better brand of plugs?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »

Quote from: eronald
Actually, you shouldn't be able to plug FW backwards; maybe camera corps should be using a better brand of plugs?

Edmund

If the Firewire socket gets worn or "stretched" as mine is you can plug it in just enough to do the damage, you dont even need to seat it all the way....it was dark and i was in a hurry....my fault !

ondebanks

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

Quote from: DENNISCARBO
If the Firewire socket gets worn or "stretched" as mine is you can plug it in just enough to do the damage, you dont even need to seat it all the way....it was dark and i was in a hurry....my fault !

I feel sorry that this has happened to you.

I don't think it really was your fault. I said it before and I'll say it again: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....st&p=378992

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:24:37 pm »

Quote from: eronald

Edmund

Agree totally...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Blew Up My Sinar 54M - Doh !
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:36 pm »

I too agree.  Unless you are using a cheap cable that changes shape, or you abussed the cable by rolling something heavy over it, etc... It shouldn't be able to plug in.

You can't help but wonder if they make these things more prone to accidents with every revise in manufacturing.  My old H25 is all metal and no chance to wear and bend, etc.  I can see the saddest excuse one can make and say they did it to cut costs...which would be BS. There maybe a reason thats valid?  Like I said...you just wonder.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:57:09 am »

....it was dark and i was in a hurry....my fault !

Bad design - bad implementation! There is a Japanese concept called " poka yoke."

Basically - design the process to eliminate common errors!

is a Japanese term that means "fail-safing" or "mistake-proofing". A poka-yoke is any mechanism in a lean manufacturing process that helps an equipment operator avoid (yokeru) mistakes (poka). Its purpose is to eliminate product defects by preventing, correcting, or drawing attention to human errors as they occur.[1] The concept was formalised, and the term adopted, by Shigeo Shingo as part of the Toyota Production System.

Their fault - not yours! Though in the US we prefer to berate the operator and call them stupid idiots for not remembering an infinite number of small, tedius details.

Look at the huge reduction in drug resistantinfectionss in hospitals by using checklists that say " wash your hands.". Fix the process .... Or run around saying "doctors are stupid ..."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:04:32 am by mmurph »

jonstewart

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:29 am »

Complete sympathies; you just did what I did a few weeks back, except worse.

Completely concur though; once you have a little ware in the socket doing this is easier than one might think
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

ced

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:54 am »

Even though there is a lot of "this is not possible" around here!
It is  and it is...
It is not the first time and for sure it won't be the last.
The firewire 800 seems that is impossible but the 400 no problem it is AC/DC >:(

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »

I have heard this happening to other makes as well...mine is FW400 and it doesnt have to plug in all the way ...about 3mm and pow !  got a rough estimate of 2,000 to fix....sigh...have to fix it ...it is a paper weight right now...even though the back is  6 years old the image quality is mind blowing with the Schneider 40/3.5 lens i use.  oh well lesson learned !

D

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »

Bad design - bad implementation! There is a Japanese concept called " poka yoke."

Basically - design the process to eliminate common errors!

is a Japanese term that means "fail-safing" or "mistake-proofing". A poka-yoke is any mechanism in a lean manufacturing process that helps an equipment operator avoid (yokeru) mistakes (poka). Its purpose is to eliminate product defects by preventing, correcting, or drawing attention to human errors as they occur.[1] The concept was formalised, and the term adopted, by Shigeo Shingo as part of the Toyota Production System.

Their fault - not yours! Though in the US we prefer to berate the operator and call them stupid idiots for not remembering an infinite number of small, tedius details.

No lawsuit so far?

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Just a follow up - I received my 54M back from Sinar and am happy to report all is ok !   Solomon at Sinar was top notch in communication and answering any and all of my questions.  A++ customer service ! Thanks Sinar !

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:39 pm »

Just a follow up - I received my 54M back from Sinar and am happy to report all is ok !   Solomon at Sinar was top notch in communication and answering any and all of my questions.  A++ customer service ! Thanks Sinar !

For repairs costing as much as a good FF DSLR that's the least I would expect.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »

Agree repair was expensive - but still less than a FF DSLR, with far better quality. Oh yeah .....and it was a paperweight unless I fixed it !

At any rate - I was happy with how smooth the dealing with Sinar was, and I used the Back on a Job all day Saturday - always amazed at image quality !

Happy shootin

Dennis

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 06:01:54 am »

Dennis,

Great news.  I am glad that you decided to pay to have the back repaired.  We missed you last Saturday.  Hope that you can make it next time.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up