Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: evaluate my panoramic  (Read 3316 times)

Rocco Penny

evaluate my panoramic
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:03:19 am »

Here is a nearby hillside with men picking peas.
I like the reflection of their bodies, and the rows, along with the zen garden quality my neighbor applies to farming on a large scale/
What do you folks think of my work?
Thank you
Rocco

OnyimBob

• http://
evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »

This doesn't quite work for me Benny - you've either stitched or cropped in camera or later but too much. Not enough sky, not enough foreground - especially the cropped grass & reeds. I can see your intent and agree it's an interesting subject, but just not supported by the format you've chosen. Normally the difference in sky colours, eg washed out on the left, strong on the right, wouldn't bother me but here the brown field in front (already cropped - by the pickers I mean ) emphasizes it too much.
I would have gone for a tighter shot - perhaps leaving a quarter off each side. The reflections you mention are barely noticeable in the image as presented.
Zooming in to a tighter frame reveals more of the patterns and textures and the pickers.
Just my two cents worth.
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

popnfresh

evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »

It's not bad photo, per se. It's just that it's a very wide shot of a pleasant, but not, finally, all that interesting a scene. The foreground seems wasted. I agree that you needed to go in tight on something, perhaps in the foreground, that could have made for a more interesting composition.

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »

Doesn't work for me either, there is a point where a panorama becomes just a thin strip of color and this is the case.
There is not a good visual flow to keep interest in the shot. (for me)

Rocco Penny

evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:05:10 pm »

Quote from: OnyimBob
... Not enough sky, not enough foreground - especially the cropped grass & reeds. I can see your intent and agree it's an interesting subject,...
...I would have gone for a tighter shot - perhaps leaving a quarter off each side. The reflections you mention are barely noticeable in the image as presented.
Zooming in to a tighter frame reveals more of the patterns and textures and the pickers.
Just my two cents worth.
Bob.

Thank you all for the insights and opinions.
Bob,
I think this also.
I do have a three frame stitch that has just a bit more sky and foreground
I only had a 50mm with me this day, when I saw these guys picking.
It seems epic blown up, printed to canvas, and mounted in all its 2foot by 18 foot splendor.
You can make out the clothing on the gentlemen.
But yeah, eh looks cool I guess
I like it cause no one else will ever get this photograph themselves.
Improbability almost 100%
OK back to learning,
I hope to understand more and more as time goes on...
Thanks you folks again,

kers

• Pieter Kers
evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:07:16 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
I like the reflection of their bodies, and the rows, along with the zen garden quality my neighbor applies to farming on a large scale/
Thank you
Rocco

I like small people in my photographs - so i like it.

Only you have to print it big ( 3meter wide)  and the quality has to be good ( showing the people in detail) only than it will work- for me

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dick Roadnight

evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:57 am »

Thank you
Rocco
I do not know how good the original looks, but RES (micro-contrast etc.) is very important in this type of shot... and I am getting a 300mm for 60Mpx 645 which will enable me to print 24 inches deep at 360 original camera pixels per inch... a two of three row stitch with a smaller sensor could produce the same result in a shot like this, where each person could be within a frame.

(I think MF pano is good for pictures with larger moving objects... like cars, boats and waves.)
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

OnyimBob

evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »

Thank you all for the insights and opinions.
Bob,
I think this also.
I do have a three frame stitch that has just a bit more sky and foreground
I only had a 50mm with me this day, when I saw these guys picking.
It seems epic blown up, printed to canvas, and mounted in all its 2foot by 18 foot splendor.
You can make out the clothing on the gentlemen.
But yeah, eh looks cool I guess
I like it cause no one else will ever get this photograph themselves.
Improbability almost 100%
OK back to learning,
I hope to understand more and more as time goes on...
Thanks you folks again,
Hi Rocco,
It would be interesting to see the three frame stitch you mention above.
I can imagine how impressive the image would look at the size you describe.
Bob
Bob Munro.

Rocco Penny

evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:28 am »

Here's a biggish file of what I have.
I do wish I'da taken a few rows now instead of hurrying through so I could look for snakes instead.
Oh well, next time.
For now, I'm soaking up as much information as I can regarding what you real photographers would do with this shot.
Thanks again for the input folks,
Rocco

popnfresh

Re: evaluate my panoramic
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

I do wish I'da taken a few rows now instead of hurrying through so I could look for snakes instead.
Oh well, next time.
For now, I'm soaking up as much information as I can regarding what you real photographers would do with this shot.
Rocco
I hate to say it, but I think you're beating a dead horse with this panorama. The problem is right there in the title you've chosen for the picture, "Pea Guys". The shot really is about the pea guys. You got that part right. The problem is that the pea guys are lost in a pretty mundane picture. This isn't a scene that lends itself to a panorama. In the final analysis, your shot would need to be severely cropped to work, imo. However, it doesn't have nearly enough resolution to support that. You needed to go in much closer or use a much longer lens (preferrably the former and preferrably if you were wearing rubber waders). This is more or less where I think your shot really was:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:04:50 pm by popnfresh »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:33 pm »

I hate to say it, but I think you're beating a dead horse with this panorama. The problem is right there in the title you've chosen for the picture, "Pea Guys". The shot really is about the pea guys... In the final analysis, your shot would need to be severely cropped to work,
The current craze if for ultra-wide and pano,,, but most landscapes I see would benefit from cropping... but, with the pea guys I would include the sky, hill, rushes and shoreline... you were fortunate to find them with a nice background.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

OnyimBob

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »

Oh well, next time.
Rocco
I hate to tell you this Rocco, if you made this shot then you're a "real photographer", and if one of the hazards you need to overcome is snakes, then you are definitely "in the club". :)
To popnfresh : my initial impression was similar but I reckon with the changes suggested so far and printed at the size Rocco indicated it would make a pretty impressive image. The resolution would depend on the camera used.
Rocco, most of the time we are all just boys and girls with toys. You're the one you need to satisfy first.
Bob.
Bob Munro.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 11:10:40 am »

Thank you all so much for your time and interest.

I have been looking at these things my entire life.

Beaches, sunsets, sea life, surfers, wildlife, horses & cowfolk, farms and farmers, flowers, crops/produce, and most other truly pedestrian and derivative photographic opportunities.
Every now and then I feel I have captured something unique.
This is one of those unique shots.
Good or bad, it is what I chose to do that day.
The comments regarding flaws and faults in my photography help me immensely.
I also appreciate the support from you folks that see beauty or effort in my work as well.
I'm not sure where this will lead,
but the world of caring about what non-dedicated folks think is slowly becoming a thing of the past.
I really do appreciate what you folks here have to say.
Thank you again, and believe I'll be out there trying and sooner or later will deliver something of value.
Again, thank you,
Rocco
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:12:11 am by Rocco Penny »
Pages: [1]   Go Up