Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time Lapse with 5d2  (Read 5959 times)

CBarrett

Time Lapse with 5d2
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »

I've got the intervalometer cable release for my 5d2, but (as I understand it) that only allows me to program it for 99 frames.  My D3 with built in interval shooting provides much greater flexibility.  Advice on alternate methods for the 5d2?

Gracias!

CB

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Time Lapse with 5d2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:04:02 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
but (as I understand it) that only allows me to program it for 99 frames. ... Advice on alternate methods for the 5d2?
Are you sure it's so few ?
Even the cheap ones on eBay will shoot an unlimited number of frames, eg item 170480642026

CBarrett

Time Lapse with 5d2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:18 am »

Quote from: Rhossydd
Are you sure it's so few ?
Even the cheap ones on eBay will shoot an unlimited number of frames, eg item 170480642026

The counter only goes to 99.  If I set it to 0, though it will keep shooting until I fill the card.  So I guess you can't do an automatic count between 99 and Infinity?

BobFisher

Time Lapse with 5d2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:34:21 pm »

OK, so if you set it to zero and it'll keep shooting forever and ever; or until the card is full, whichever comes first, where's the problem?  Is it that you're trying to capture a specific number of frames to fill a specific timeline in the video?  If so, got a watch?  I never set a specific number of shots when I do timelapse work.  I just let it go and time it with my watch.  I know what frame rate I'm going to produce the video at, I know what interval I have between shots.  Based on those two things, I know how long I need to shoot in order to get the right number of frames.  Easy.

That said, Canon's hardware blows chunks for timelapse work.  It truly does.  I know you've already bought an intervalometer so may not want to drop more money but the Promote Control is really the best option for Canon shooters who want to to timelapse and/or HDR timelapse work.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Time Lapse with 5d2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:15:11 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
The counter only goes to 99.  If I set it to 0, though it will keep shooting until I fill the card.  So I guess you can't do an automatic count between 99 and Infinity?
Sounds likely.
Maybe it's worth spending the few dollars (30?) on one of the cheap eBay clones as mentioned before. They'll shoot a fixed number of frames up to 399 (or go on for ever) at pretty much any time interval and start after a pre-programmed delay. I've got one branded YougNuo and it works a treat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up