Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEX-5  (Read 3840 times)

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
NEX-5
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:48:32 am »

have the nex5 ow a few days and have to say i am excited. the first day i regretted that i`d left my G10 to my gf, cause it looked to me that i`d liked the controls way more then the menue dialing on the nex, and thats certainly still the case. but after some days i`d got accustomed to the sony.
i realize that its just the opposite of an amateur p+s camera.
i bought it with the 16mm lens, which is very sharp at the center wide open too, to get sharp corners it wants to be stopped down to 5,6/8, but its a very capable lens for the small cam.
yesterday i received my m-mount adapter and started to play around with the 2/35 summicron and the 2.8/ 90.  all manually than.
its really a completely other way to photograph than with any p+s before. all manually. iso change in menu setting not automatically.
thanks to the very sharp lcd screen its even possible to get sharp images focusing n the screen, but there is also the possibility to magnify  it via an assessed button 7x or even 14x. sharpness is easy to bring it spot on. due to the movable lcd this is not a poor mans leica, its a completely other cam, and a cam which force me to go back to photograph and not to snapshot. and i am a bit tired of snapshotting, cause i  use so rarely any of these images for anything. noise behavior is very good till 80 and still good with 1600 and more.
other with the video. quality is good and with the sony lens the af woks quiet and very reliable, so this is very nice to use it for "snapvideoing", not bad to have it at all. hope they will bring ouit a 35mm af lens, but i doubt it a bit.

very nice cam system imo, and in difference to what i read all over the net, i think its a nice cam exactly for a prof. photographer,
because its NOT so easy to use, it slows one down a bit, and the result of this are nicer images.
using the sony with fixed manual lenses is in a new form more similar as it was with old manual cameras ( mamyia c220/330 comes to my mind )  than with any one of these other small p+s cams.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:54:04 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
NEX-5
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

The more I use mine.. and the more I get used to the controls.. the more quick the camera becomes.  I'd guess access to ISO will be one of the first things they change in an upcoming firmware upgrade (assuming they listen to their customers), but for most snapshot use AUTO ISO limited to 1600 ISO isn't that limiting.. really with this camera I don't often want to use it over ISO 800.

I was mildly taken with the NEX-5 when I first received it with the 18-55mm OS lens.  But the 16mm F2.8 lens has caught me in a big way.  In effect, a sharp 24mm F2.8 where the corners are good at F5.6 and perfect by F8..

I think the LCD is both the strong and weak point.  The articulation is wonderful.  The resolution is great.  The brightness in bright outdoor lights however needs improvement and I could for sure use bigger text to adjust my settings.

Image quality remains on the fence.. much will depend on how well it's supported in LR3/ACR/C1pro.. because Sony's converter just isn't making quality conversions and the out of camera jpegs are no better than average.

I put a Sandisk Extreme Class 10 (30mbps?) SD card in mine.. and I never hit the buffer so that's good.

Rainer, I'd really like to see some of your most sharply focused examples using your lenses with the adapter.  I think this system calls out for primes.. Zooms using a LCD as a viewfinder don't work for me.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

douglasf13

NEX-5
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

Quote from: Steve Weldon
The more I use mine.. and the more I get used to the controls.. the more quick the camera becomes.  I'd guess access to ISO will be one of the first things they change in an upcoming firmware upgrade (assuming they listen to their customers), but for most snapshot use AUTO ISO limited to 1600 ISO isn't that limiting.. really with this camera I don't often want to use it over ISO 800.

I was mildly taken with the NEX-5 when I first received it with the 18-55mm OS lens.  But the 16mm F2.8 lens has caught me in a big way.  In effect, a sharp 24mm F2.8 where the corners are good at F5.6 and perfect by F8..

I think the LCD is both the strong and weak point.  The articulation is wonderful.  The resolution is great.  The brightness in bright outdoor lights however needs improvement and I could for sure use bigger text to adjust my settings.

Image quality remains on the fence.. much will depend on how well it's supported in LR3/ACR/C1pro.. because Sony's converter just isn't making quality conversions and the out of camera jpegs are no better than average.

I put a Sandisk Extreme Class 10 (30mbps?) SD card in mine.. and I never hit the buffer so that's good.

Rainer, I'd really like to see some of your most sharply focused examples using your lenses with the adapter.  I think this system calls out for primes.. Zooms using a LCD as a viewfinder don't work for me.

Hi, Steve. Did you try taking the LCD brightness out of auto and switching it to sunny?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
NEX-5
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:50:43 pm »

Quote from: douglasf13
Hi, Steve. Did you try taking the LCD brightness out of auto and switching it to sunny?
No.. that would have required reading the manual.. ;o)   I'll give it a try though..

Anyone here yet have the optional OVF and if so, could you give us some idea of it's accuracy and visual clarity?  And does it have a AF confirmation LED?  It looks intriguing.. but $199.. would like to hear some feedback first.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

tho_mas

NEX-5
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:14 am »

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:07:57 am by tho_mas »

Fritzer

Re: NEX-5
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:41:47 pm »

What really bothers me about the NEX - I really want one , if it wasn't for that - is the screen that isn't articulating vertically .
How do you feel about that; for the life of me I can't imagine using it in portrait while holding it away from me.

I just remembered I have all those ancient mf Minolta lenses, which would go nicely with the NEX, if it was a true waist level finder camera.

wollom

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:06 am »

yesterday i received my m-mount adapter and started to play around with the 2/35 summicron and the 2.8/ 90.

Hi Rainer,

Which M adapter did you get the chinese ebay one or a more expensive one?

Thanks
Wollom

douglasf13

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

What really bothers me about the NEX - I really want one , if it wasn't for that - is the screen that isn't articulating vertically .
How do you feel about that; for the life of me I can't imagine using it in portrait while holding it away from me.

I just remembered I have all those ancient mf Minolta lenses, which would go nicely with the NEX, if it was a true waist level finder camera.

I like the NEX screen tilt better than the side swinging versions, because it allows you to bring the camera right up against the body and in line for waist level shooting. Like you said, though, this limits your options in portrait shooting.  You could always just shot square! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up