Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Problem - Canvas Size/Color  (Read 4099 times)

BradSmith

Photoshop Problem - Canvas Size/Color
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:24 pm »

Photoshop has just changed how it operates when I do something.   I often like to preview how an image will look matted and framed.  So I open it in Photoshop, enlarge it's canvas size in white and then enlarge it again with black to simulate a mat and black frame.

But today when I did this, it is opening images through Camera Raw as smart objects, and when I go to change the canvas size, the Canvas Extension Color is grayed out, showing only black as available, and if I say OK, I get the larger canvas, but it isn't even black, it is transparent (the checkerboard pattern).  Happens whether I am opening images I exported from Lightroom or that I open directly from a file folder through my operating system.  I don't ever remember seeing images opened as smart objects, but maybe they were and I never noticed.  I see that at the bottom of the Camera Raw Window, you can open as an image rather than smart object if you hold down the shift key.   Then the canvas resizing acts as it has in the past.   But now, it seems that the default is opening as a smart object.    I've not used them before.   Is the fact that they are smart objects (suddenly) the cause of the problem?  Or.........???????????  And how can I revert to the Camera Raw default being as an image, not as a smart object?

thanks
Brad

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:00 pm »

Hi Brad,

At the bottom of the ACR window is a line that says" Prophoto RGB;16 Bit;etc;etc;etc" At least that is what mine says.
Click on that link and in the dialogue that pops up uncheck "Open in Photoshop as Smart Object"

[attachment=23521:screenshot.jpg]

Rich

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:47:27 am »

Thanks Rich,
That fixes the problem.   Apparently that window in ACR acts as a toggle switch for the application, like a setting in Preferences would work.  The weird thing is, I never had seen that screen before, or opted to open as smart object rather than as an image.  ACR just started doing it after Lightroom!! had frozen and I had to reboot my Mac.    Oh, the mysterious ways of software gremlins.
thanks again
Brad

Quote from: Richowens
Hi Brad,

At the bottom of the ACR window is a line that says" Prophoto RGB;16 Bit;etc;etc;etc" At least that is what mine says.
Click on that link and in the dialogue that pops up uncheck "Open in Photoshop as Smart Object"

[attachment=23521:screenshot.jpg]

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up