Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad camera connection kit and Leaf CF cards?  (Read 3380 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
iPad camera connection kit and Leaf CF cards?
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »

I have an iPad and Apple's camera connection kit. I have tried to get the iPad to download images from a CF card formatted in a Leaf back but nothing happens.

Has anyone else tried this successfully?

Possibly, the combination only works with CF cards which have a DCIM folder, which
Leaf-formatted cards do not have.

Very frustrating!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

Do you really want to download files that big into an iPad with 32/64GB ?
I would be surprised if the iPad showed RAW files to be honest, JPEG ok, but I don't expect it to do RAW, but I could be wrong because I never looked at the connection kit.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:37 pm »

I was only ever hoping to access the JPEG files that Leaf produces. No way would I expect the iPad to open the RAW files.

I suspect the iPad only transfers compatible files from a DCIM folder and, if it cannot find such a folder (as it will not on a Leaf CF card), nothing happens.
Roger

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Do you really want to download files that big into an iPad with 32/64GB ?
I would be surprised if the iPad showed RAW files to be honest, JPEG ok, but I don't expect it to do RAW, but I could be wrong because I never looked at the connection kit.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:32 am »

I know the iPad will recognize and import (and export to LR) PhaseOne files that use the .tif extension, but not if the camera is set to use the .IIQ  extension.  You can see a thumbnail when importing, but since the iOS doesn't support Phase raw files you can't see images in the photo application. PhaseOne does create the typical DCIM folder structure. I believe I have read some other posts which imply the DCIM folder seems to be a required structure for the iPad.  I haven't tested it directly yet (plan to sometime soon).

So if the Leaf back doesn't create the DCIM folder by default, can you use the back to "create" a folder?

ced

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:48:11 am »

Rogerxnz the "Preview" application on a mac opens the mos file but there are no jpegs on the CF card.
The jpegs you are thinking about are created on the mac when the mos files are loaded into LC the "SmallMonitorJPEGs" & "LargeMonitorJPEGs".
Your card should have been formatted as MS DOS Fat 32 with the Disk Utility on your Mac although this may not be your problem.  Cheers!

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:57:04 am »

Quote from: rogerxnz
I was only ever hoping to access the JPEG files that Leaf produces. No way would I expect the iPad to open the RAW files.

I suspect the iPad only transfers compatible files from a DCIM folder and, if it cannot find such a folder (as it will not on a Leaf CF card), nothing happens.
Roger

Roger,

You can create a DCIM folder on the card (through the Camera menu on the back or with your PC/ Mac) and assign it as the shots folder. This makes the host computer/ software (and I believe the iPad) recognise the card and import the mos file. The back doesn't create jpgs but as Ced suggested, you can load the previews that LC creates into the DCIM folder and then you iPad will show them

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up