Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Researching Epson Printers  (Read 4959 times)

motom

Researching Epson Printers
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »

Is there an Epson Printer that does it all very well? Currently i have a Epson R2400, and it has always given me problems, usually involving Horiz lines and  issues with color saturation.
 So what is the ultimate Epson Professional Printer everyone out there is using and loving?
 I will be doing professional prints for my Portfolio. Color and B&W.
 I am reading information, but wanted the real world feedback.
 BTW: i am looking at Epson 3880 or 4880 printers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:05:32 pm by motom »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

Quote from: motom
Is there an Epson Printer that does it all very well. Currently i have a Epson R2400, and it has always given me problems, usually involving Horiz lines and  issues with color saturation.
 So what is the ultimate Epson Professional Printer everyone out there is using and loving.
The two Epsons are equivalent printers for the most part.  4880 can use roll paper and has larger ink cartridges which may be a consideration for you.  Many of us have 3880s as it is a desktop printer as it is smaller and lighter and amenable to placing on a desktop.  I've not had any problems at all with my 3880.

Alan

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25:12 pm »

Earlier this year I was moving from the 2400 and making the same decision as the OP.

I ultimately chose the 3880, mainly because I don't use roll paper and because the somewhat smaller size is more convenient for my workspace.  I would have liked, but don't miss, the vacuum positioning feature of the 4880.

So far I have had no problems with the printer and and am delighted with the results. Full disclosure: I am an amateur photographer, but fairly picky about my printing results.

Paul

natas

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:30:26 pm »

Is there an Epson Printer that does it all very well. Currently i have a Epson R2400, and it has always given me problems, usually involving Horiz lines and  issues with color saturation.
 So what is the ultimate Epson Professional Printer everyone out there is using and loving.

If you have the cash to shell out the the x900 series are wonderful printers.

In the past I have worked with 2200, 2400, r1800, r1900, 1400 and 4800.

The one above that always performed flawlessly was the 4800, with the 1900 and 1400 coming in next.

The 7900 has been perfect since I have owned it. I have had to run a clean on it 2 times and thats it.

Any pigment ink printer will require occasional cleanings. The more you use them the less this will be needed. Pigment ink printer when sitting for long periods of time without use will clog...(all of them will do it).

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:29 pm »

The two Epsons are equivalent printers for the most part.  4880 can use roll paper and has larger ink cartridges which may be a consideration for you.  Many of us have 3880s as it is a desktop printer as it is smaller and lighter and amenable to placing on a desktop.  I've not had any problems at all with my 3880.
One other difference is that the 4880 uses a vacuum platen, and the 3880 does not; so you'll sometimes hear complaints about "pizza-wheel marks" with the 3880. The big downside to the 4880 is flushing $60+ of ink away every time you swap from matte-black to photo-black. The 3880 doesn't completely eliminate the issue, but greatly reduces it.

I'm curious why only Epson models are under consideration, especially if you're not currently happy with your 2400. I think the Canon ipf5100 is definitely worth consideration, as it has some compelling advantages over both of the Epson 17" models: 12 inks with no black-swap issue, motorized roll feed with vacuum platen, more archival inks, etc. The only reason I can see for not choosing the Canon would be if compatibility with QuadtoneRIP is a must-have (and if you're on MacOS, True B&W might be an alternative to consider).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:48 pm »

If you need to print borderless on smaller paper, the 3880 is your choice. If you're going to swap back and forth from matte to glossy papers, the 3880 is your choice. If you need to print long (roll paper) or want vacuum hold-down, or expect to do very high volume printing then you'll want the 4880.

Bob
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

vandevanterSH

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:14 pm »

I really like my 4880,  but compared to my 3800, the 4880 has issues with "clogs".  The 3800 could sit for months and not have head clogs while the 4880 likes to be used regularly.

Steve

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »

300.oo Rebate on 3880
500.00 rebate on 4880
7900 & 9900 1k Rebate

Canon Has Them as well.. Big Rebates

They Dont get any better pricewise than this..Now Is The Time

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

nilo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:38 am »

I had a similar decision between 3880 and 4800 to make, and opted for the 3880, mainly because of office real estate considerations, and final price, after including shipment of the very heavy 4800 to my extremely remote place (which all big companies are happy to use as an excuse to ask for outrages, 2-3... times higher prices than in the US). In addition to everything already mentioned, it is also simply the newer technology. Would I have had the choice though, I would have bought the Canon 5100 for the vacuum, internal profiling, higher ink capacity, 11 inks, and better archival inks. Only it was also more expensive here than the 3880, which was on special offer at the time.

That said, I am very happy with my 3880 under heavy usage for color prints. One thing though made my wife ask me, how they dare to sell a printer that makes all kind wheel and other horizontal marks. It's less visible than with the 3800 (now you have to carefully inspect, but at the price I am asking for the prints, my costumers do that), and good varnishing helps a great deal, but still I didn't know what to answer to her, except my usual great socio-economical rant...  

RoderickBalle

• http://
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:28 am »

I chose the 4880 over the 3880, and I only print casually. I like the better build and serviceability of the bigger machine. Roll support, vacuum platen, and bigger tanks are all tangible benefits as well. Black swapping is not an issue for me, as there's a huge range of Fine Art papers available for PK. It used to be just gloss and semi-gloss photo papers, now you can get fibre based, bartya coated, and cotton rag papers for PK, so the need to use MK is reduced for many. Finally, the 4880 is only and extra grand ($A), for a lot more printer.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:04 am »

Somebody was advertising a very lightly used Epson 7900 here for $2500 the other day.  If I needed a printer, that'd be it.

I have seen several 4800 Epsons here for less than a $1000, too.  Again, an excellent deal.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »

I mourn the death of the question mark.

motom

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:27 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
One other difference is that the 4880 uses a vacuum platen, and the 3880 does not; so you'll sometimes hear complaints about "pizza-wheel marks" with the 3880. The big downside to the 4880 is flushing $60+ of ink away every time you swap from matte-black to photo-black. The 3880 doesn't completely eliminate the issue, but greatly reduces it.

I'm curious why only Epson models are under consideration, especially if you're not currently happy with your 2400. I think the Canon ipf5100 is definitely worth consideration, as it has some compelling advantages over both of the Epson 17" models: 12 inks with no black-swap issue, motorized roll feed with vacuum platen, more archival inks, etc. The only reason I can see for not choosing the Canon would be if compatibility with QuadtoneRIP is a must-have (and if you're on MacOS, True B&W might be an alternative to consider).

I believe epson is offering a top-notch product. I think the problems i have experienced are my own fault and learning curve to technology. Although it is persnickity, and i am trying to resolve the issues. like why when i print through photoshop are there horiz. lines through print, but when i print through preview the prints are good. I have been having prints made for me at a digi lab. And would prefer to do my own printing.
  I am still an old school shooter. Although i haven't shot film in years now. I am no expert when it comes to printer technology, so research and listening to other's opinion is crucial to me finding the right printer. I will look into the Canon ipf5100. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:11:38 pm by motom »

motom

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:07:21 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit

Slow day? there ya go, question mark resurrected.
 BTW thanks to everyone for their input.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:13:02 pm by motom »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit

Didn't you mean to say, "Do I mourn the death of the question mark."

Here they are: "??"   

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »

Is there an Epson Printer that does it all very well? Currently i have a Epson R2400, and it has always given me problems, usually involving Horiz lines and  issues with color saturation.
 So what is the ultimate Epson Professional Printer everyone out there is using and loving?

The Canon iPF5100 does it all very well. Faster than both the 3880 and the 4880. Permanent availability of PK and MK. Roll + sheet standard and no print length issues. User replaceable heads. 12 inks and good B&W possible with the Canon driver. Bowhaus has a Mac compatible B&W driver for that Canon.

That competition could be enough base for a rumor that Epson will replace the 4880 with a new 17" model. The Photokina is end of next month. Count an extra 4 months for actual delivery.

Maybe you create too many conditions in your request to get the best answers for what you actually need.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:13:17 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

motom

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 03:47:40 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
The Canon iPF5100 does it all very well. Faster than both the 3880 and the 4880. Permanent availability of PK and MK. Roll + sheet standard and no print length issues. User replaceable heads. 12 inks and good B&W possible with the Canon driver. Bowhaus has a Mac compatible B&W driver for that Canon.

That competition could be enough base for a rumor that Epson will replace the 4880 with a new 17" model. The Photokina is end of next month. Count an extra 4 months for actual delivery.

Maybe you create too many conditions in your request to get the best answers for what you actually need.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Hello Ernst
 I don't think i have too many conditions    , I am getting the answers and response i need...I think. BTW, Sure would like to go to Photokina. Thanks for your information, and i will check into the Canon Printer.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:35:24 pm »

I am very happy with the 4880. It makes gorgeous prints and has been relatively trouble-free. The few problems I have encountered have been solved without major hassle (no repairs or calls to Epson over 1.5 years), and it sits happily unused for 2-3 weeks without clogging. The roll paper capability is a real plus.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 08:09:01 am »

The 3880 is a nice printer. I have some paper feed issues with very thick matte papers, though.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up