Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaking of Tripods  (Read 9249 times)

vandevanterSH

Re: Speaking of Tripods
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »

I am very happy with the quality of my RRS tripod.  Typical RRS construction with CNC machined billet metal parts.  Not a long enough track record to see if any heavy use, long term quality problems develop but by fit, finish and feel; first rate construction.

Steve

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »

I second the comments on the RRS tripod.  I recently purchased the larger version (they are taking orders now for the smaller mid-size) with the BH-55 ball head.  An amazing combination, both quality and operation.  I expect this is the last support system I will have to purchase.  Expensive, but in my mind well worth it.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »

IMO Gitzo tripods are just sold on their name (and high cost  :o).

Glorified Manfrottos.... and made in the same factory I'm told.

The classic Gitzo tripod existed when they had the green hammered paint finish and no other tripod manufacturer could come close to their build quality and stability. Thats not the case any longer and there is much more choice for a lot less money.

I know forums have a tendency for people to hang out and only complain when things go wrong but I've heard so many stories from people (and also a couple of guys in this thread) having problems that it seems to me there not the same great tripod as old. Considering the cost to purchase one is so high, they should never go wrong........  :-\
I agree to a certain extent, but not entirely. I do think Gitzo products are somewhat overpriced (just like RRS), but they're also excellent products for the most part. IMHO the 2-series Gitzo's are over-rated, and there are plenty of 3rd-party alternatives that are probably just as good (maybe better).

The 3-series are very well made though, and don't have as many true competitors. (And just look at the RRS tripod, it's even more expensive).

Gitzo also has some products that are unique in the market place, such as the extra-tall models which I don't think anybody else offers. So if they 3541-XLS is the model you're interested in, there's not much else to consider.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

gazwas

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »

I'm not saying that Gitzo are rubbish tripods but are not the tour de force they used to be. They do offer some great tall legs but generally they don't offer anything better considering their the very high price mark up.

I just feel Manfrotto sell Gitzo as thier premium range because they can due to the respected, established name rather than because of their once unique quality.

trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

nma

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:48 pm »

Have you considered the The FEISOL CT-3472? " ... large capacity tripod is a miracle in innovation, designed for heavy-duty projects while maintaining an incredibly lightweight frame. Weighing in at just 1.78 kg (3.92 pounds), the CT-3472 is capable of handling loads of over 12 kg (26 pounds)."

Stand 59 in high, without extension, center column optional. Weight ~4 lb.  Price $519

markgoble

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »

Have you considered the The FEISOL CT-3472? " ... large capacity tripod is a miracle in innovation, designed for heavy-duty projects while maintaining an incredibly lightweight frame. Weighing in at just 1.78 kg (3.92 pounds), the CT-3472 is capable of handling loads of over 12 kg (26 pounds)."

Stand 59 in high, without extension, center column optional. Weight ~4 lb.  Price $519

Thanks everyone for the info.

I wish the Feisols had a model with the length of legs i need, i really like them. Considering the leg length i need i will most likely go with the Gitzo, as Jeff mentioned.

Thanks again to all,
Mark

Destiny

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:08 pm »

What gear do you want to put on top?
I know from personal experience that from the moment I got my Gitzo I won't consider any other tripod at the moment unless there will be a major change in quality with any other competitor.

I found a nice pdf with almost all decent tripods so check the attachment. It should help :)
...::: D700 :: N18-35 3.5-4.5 :: N35 1.8 :: N85 1.8 :: N75-150mm 3.5 :::...

markgoble

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »

What gear do you want to put on top?
I know from personal experience that from the moment I got my Gitzo I won't consider any other tripod at the moment unless there will be a major change in quality with any other competitor.

I found a nice pdf with almost all decent tripods so check the attachment. It should help :)
Thanks for the guide, I'll be using a 5DMII and light prime lenses,     i will check this guide out later!  :)

nma

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »

Mark,

You must be psychologically committed to Gitzo. Fine. You can't go wrong but for the money. But the height of the Feisol 3472, at 59 inches, without any center column is nearly ideal for a six foot tall man. Consider that the full height without a center column is 59 inches, add a ball head plus a 5Dii and you are up to more than 5 1/2 ft. Unless your eyes are on top of your head, you should be able to look through the view finder without bending your legs.

markgoble

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »

Mark,

You must be psychologically committed to Gitzo. Fine. You can't go wrong but for the money. But the height of the Feisol 3472, at 59 inches, without any center column is nearly ideal for a six foot tall man. Consider that the full height without a center column is 59 inches, add a ball head plus a 5Dii and you are up to more than 5 1/2 ft. Unless your eyes are on top of your head, you should be able to look through the view finder without bending your legs.

This is true, except for the part of being committed to Gitzo. There have been many times I've been working on surfaces that are very uneven like steep hillsides or boulders and had to extend my one of my legs on my current tripod all the way. My current tripod is the same height as the one I'm considering. If it was not for this, i would be comfortible with a pod extending to 59''. What if I'm on a boulder field shooting at eye level and i need to extend one of my legs through the rocks to the ground? I could not do this with a pod that has a max. height of 59''. I wish Feisol had one that was taller, because Feisol cost less and looks to be well built. Using a colume for extra height would not work for me because i don't like to work with them. I like to be able to go to ground level.  :)

Mark

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 07:16:10 pm »

I completely agree; this is exactly the point I was making early in the thread.  Hillsides, boulders, big tree trunks...  They all make tripods much shorter. Not a problem with the XLS.  I don't know of another tripod this tall with reasonable build quality and reasonable weight.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up